Your Memorial Day BBQ Game Plan

May 23, 2014 | By | Comments (10)

This Memorial Day Weekend, don’t try to pack up the entire contents of your refrigerator and your collection of dry rubs. We’ve got the perfect menu featuring a smoked chicken so good you’ll want to kiss it, a slew of five-ingredient sides, and chewy brownies that make fast ice cream sandwiches to please guests from ages 1 to 92.

Make these recipes, and you’ll spend time with family and friends instead of your kitchen.

5 Ingredients Summer Handbook-SidesHere are fast, fresh, five-ingredient sides celebrate summer and are so easy to make you’ll have time to celebrate it too.

2296306_AtoZG4722

Step away from the meat case. Stop anguishing over ribs or brisket. This chicken is guaranteed to satisfy any die-hard BBQ fan along with your Aunt Gladys. It comes from our friend Chris Lilly over at Big Bob Gibson BBQ, who just won Memphis in May’s famed BBQ competition an unprecedented fourth time.

Smoked Chicken with Fresh Herb Marinade

A-Z Guide To Southern Food

You may have heard we’re big fans of cake and pie over here, but we also don’t feel like code-red, five-alarm baking this holiday weekend. So we’ll be making these chewy brownies for sweet and cool ice cream sandwiches that will put a smile on everyone’s face.

Chewy Brownies

southernfoodnow online banner Your Memorial Day BBQ Game Plan

COMMENTS

1. Holly Boyter

A kamado grill would be the perfect gift for my husband this Father’s Day. We have an old offset smoker that he bought nearly 15 years ago, and it’s showing its age. A kamado grill would be an upgrade to the old smoker, and I might even be able to figure out how to use it! The recipes I see that are cooked on this style of cooker look delicious, and we love to cook for our family.

June 7, 2014 at 8:25 am
  2. Judy Kimbley

We got our first Kamado Pot when our friend was flying in the Army Reserves. They took a loaded plane to Indonesia, unloaded it and loaded it back up with Kamado Pots and pachinko machines. This was in the 1970′s and we are still using it (it is a little worse for wear by now). We do most of our grilling on the pot even though we have a propane grill too. We like to grill steaks, hamburgers and veggies. It always has the best flavor. Southern Living has the best recipes and would love to try them out on a new grill.

May 26, 2014 at 6:42 pm
  3. jerry

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; its awesome,,, Start working at home with Google. It’s a great work at home opportunity. Just work for few hours. I earn up to $100 a day. I can’t believe how easy it was once I tried it out.http://Fox81.ℭOⅯ

May 26, 2014 at 5:43 pm
  4. Stephanie Webb

My husband and I moved from Louisiana to Colorado 13 years ago but our hearts remain in the South with all of its friendly people, charm, and totally awesome food! We make a yearly trek home to satisfy our hunger for great food and family. I would love to win the Kamado Grill for my husband who loves to grill. We brought our current grill with us on the move to Colorado and it has weathered some pretty harsh winters, but my husband refuses to part with it because it still works!!! He is now teaching our youngest son at the age of 11, the art of grilling and hopes to pass the tongs onto him. It would be really wonderful to expand our son’s skills to grilling, smoking and baking. Who knows, he may come up with a new recipe to put on the cover of Southern Living!!

May 26, 2014 at 5:42 pm
  5. Barbara Hopkins

I am a misplaced southerner living in California. Having just returned from another vacation in the south (this time Charleston and Asheville and points inbetween), I can say three things I like most about the south are the friendly and polite people, the beautiful gardens and of course, the fantastic barbecue. If I had a Kamado Dome grill, I would love trying to choose a favorite grill recipe in my Southern Living magazine (of course I have a subscription, doesn’t every Southerner?).

May 25, 2014 at 5:05 pm
  6. Marie Nelson

With a Komando grill, I would not be a slave to my kitchen. I like to grill everything from meat, fish and veg to fruit. I love to experiment with marinades and dry rubs. I can see making the balsamic blueberry pie in it.

May 25, 2014 at 4:56 pm
  7. Judy Milam

I would love surprise my husband with this beautiful, multi purpose grill. He is a hard working, dedicated father. This summer we will be grilling fresh sausage, hamburgers, hotdogs and home grown veggies.

May 25, 2014 at 4:29 pm
  8. Marj Robinson

I do not want to be a slave of my kitchen any more! I intend to grill, grill, grill…..everything!
    Instead of the daily drudgery of coming up with a daily meal plan I’ll be using my new Dome Grill to cover the entire menu. The vegetables will be alongside the meat. Then, the dessert, maybe a berry pie, will go next. It does it all; it’s a grill, a stovetop, and an oven! My job just got easier and tastier!

May 24, 2014 at 11:41 am
  9. Teri Reinkemeyer

Teri Reinkemeyer

I am entering to win the Dome Grill, Kamado Series for my wonderful husband for Father’s Day. My husband has been working very hard to make our patio/backyard beautiful. Last fall my husband (DIY) extended our deck, built a pergola and is finishing up this Spring with a fire-pit and sitting wall and patio flooring. It is going to be a beautiful backyard haven and the gorgeous dome grill would fit in perfectly. My husband loves to smoke and grill ribs, pork butts, briskest, whole chickens — you name it and he has probably grilled or smoked it. He would love this grill!!

May 24, 2014 at 9:10 am

May 24, 2014 at 9:14 am
  10. Beverly Rhodes

We would love to own the kamado grill, beatutiful red made of pure stainless steel to cook boston butts for my daughters wedding, We are having a true southern wedding in Key Largo Florida with a meal of consisting of macaroni and cheese, cole slaw, potatoe salad, sweet tea and lemonade. Would love to own the grill and have the kamado grill represented at the wonderful celebration.

May 24, 2014 at 7:57 am