How To Grow Your Own One-Pot Herb Garden

May 27, 2014 | By | Comments (13)

southernfoodnow online banner How To Grow Your Own One Pot Herb Garden

Want to become a better cook without dropping stacks of cash on fancy pans or a culinary school degree? Here’s the secret: fresh homegrown herbs. Whether you’re grilling a fish, basting a pork chop, fixing a pasta salad, garnishing a cocktail, or even serving up some ice cream, nothing adds the flavor factor like chopped chives or a sprinkle of lavender.
The best part? Impressing your guests couldn’t be easier.

The Easiest Way to Grow Herbs

Step 1: Start with a terra-cotta pot with holes (aka strawberry pot). We prefer a 3-gallon one. Fill bottom third with good-quality potting soil.

Step 2: Insert plants into holes; fill soil gently around the roots.

Step 3: Add soil to next level. Repeat all the way to the top. Place in full sun. Water regularly.

Tip: Plant largest herb on the top.

sl strawberry pot How To Grow Your Own One Pot Herb Garden

What’s your favorite way to use fresh herbs? Tag your posts, Tweets, and Instagrams with #SouthernFoodNow. You might just be featured on The Daily South.

COMMENTS

1. Ratatuille

Be careful not to set in mint all of your herbed will have a mint taste. If you like mint set it in a separate pot.

October 25, 2014 at 8:43 am
  2. remove water

Excellent pieces. Keep writing such kind of information on your site.

Im really impressed by your site.
    Hey there, You’ve done a fantastic job. I’ll certainly digg it and in my view suggest to my friends.
    I am confident they will be benefited from this web site.

June 24, 2014 at 10:11 pm
  3. i just needed to accomplish something… | stylebriefs

[…] to the good parts) so what do i do? i decided to get my hands dirty. i saw this project in southern living magazine and decided this would be just the thing to cure my “i can’t get my to do list […]

June 24, 2014 at 6:45 am
  4. Donna Coghlan

Marian, get a piece of PVC, have it cut to fit down to the height of the jar, and drill holes down the length of it. Then water through to top of the pipe.

June 13, 2014 at 1:22 pm
  5. Hali esinhart

I love to cook and make drink such as a mojo to with fresh herbs!!! Makes everything just a little tastier!!!

June 13, 2014 at 1:21 pm
  6. Lindsay Modugno

I LOVE cake!!!!

June 13, 2014 at 1:20 pm
  7. Marian M Mizell

Perhaps basil would work as the top plant. I’ve always had trouble watering strawberry pots. Water pours out the top pockets.

June 13, 2014 at 12:57 pm
  8. Jeanne Cummings

LOVE THIS!!!…can see bringing it inside to kitchen to winter…!!

May 29, 2014 at 7:40 am
  9. Sadie Laws

I would fill ,it with potato salad, fried chicken, macaroni and cheese and gallon of ice tea.

May 28, 2014 at 2:48 pm
  10. charlotte sills

I love this, but rosemary will take over is you do not keep it cut back!!

May 28, 2014 at 2:08 pm
  11. rho

MP, what others besides these listed work? If indeed, these mentioned here do work well together?

May 28, 2014 at 12:38 pm
  12. MP

Might want to be aware exactly which herbs will survive in same type of soil & watering conditions, which will strangle out its pot mates, & which needs larger growing area to replenish & thrive — some herbs are perennials while others are annuals even.

May 28, 2014 at 10:26 am
  13. Anna Owens

I’ve tried this before and it is really great for someone who loves fresh herbs but doesn’t have a yard! Very easy to maintain indoors as well.

May 27, 2014 at 7:15 pm