Three Unforgettable Pieces of Wisdom Maya Angelou Shared with Us

May 28, 2014 | By | Comments (8)
Maya Angelou/Photo by Charles Harris

Maya Angelou/Photo by Charles Harris

We are saddened today to hear of the passing of the legendary Maya Angelou. The St. Louis, Missouri, native (who spent part of her youth in Stamps, Arkansas) later made Winston-Salem, North Carolina, her home.

In 2011 we sat down with the legendary author and poet, who shared insights about life as a Southerner, the source of her wisdom, and why she called North Carolina home.

You can read the full interview here. We’ve pulled out three of her most touching quotes from this interview. Rest in peace, Dr. Angelou, and thank you for your beautiful words.

Graphic by Besty McCallen

Graphic by Betsy Lovell

Graphic by Betsy Lovell

Graphic by Betsy Lovell

Graphic by Betsy Lovell

Graphic by Betsy Lovell

COMMENTS

1. Andrew George

It is beautiful and refreshing to see such tribute and craft honoring a great soul. Erin Shaw Street provides a voice needed to be heard and spread . The world awakens .

June 8, 2014 at 1:31 am
  2. ROSIE WHITE

I HAVE ADMIRE DR.MAYA ANGELOU FOR MANY OF YEARS AND I LOVE HER GREETING CARDS AND HER POETRY AND THE MOVIES THAT SHE HAVE PLAY’D IN SHE IS A VERY WISE WOMEN AND I HOPE IM JUST AS WISE AS SHE IS. ‘REST IN PEACE DR. ANGELOU YOU WILL BE MISS’D

June 1, 2014 at 9:06 pm
  3. Richard Benedict

My wife was a watching her show on Oprah special tv program.
    She was speaKing binding.
    I will be looking forward to reading her books and enjoying her incredible wisdom!
    She has inspired so many people and now me. Good rest her soul, and my her soul live in the hearts of everyone. I have sent my prayers.
    Dr.Richard Benedict, Sudbury, Canada.

May 31, 2014 at 5:52 am
  4. Judy

Thank you for your wisdom ,faith in God plus your life well lived .. The earth is dimmer now that your gone but heaven is brighter …

May 30, 2014 at 4:09 pm
  5. Arlie D Wood

I never knew the source. Maybe it wa original with Dr. Angelou; I don’t know. I don’t think so. I think she was just doing what she was saying. “When you get; give. When you learn; teach.” Pay it forward. It is a way of life; a debt that we owe.

May 28, 2014 at 2:26 pm
  6. Gale O.

Your words have echoed through my life many times. Know that even now, they will ripple through the rest of my life. Rest in Peace Maya.

May 28, 2014 at 2:15 pm
  7. Elizabeth Slagle Haynes

I enjoyed this interview. There is another one from Southern Living, maybe from the 90s, that was 2 or 3 pages long. I lost part of it and have looked for it ever since. She didnt agree with the idea, ‘You cant go home again.’ She thought you take a part of home with you wherever you go. I’d love to see it if you could find it. Dr Maya Angelou, we will miss you, but we are very blessed to have heard your voice.

May 28, 2014 at 2:08 pm
  8. Carolyn M.

Really enjoyed her love of life and humor! An amazing lady! RIP, Maya, we’ll miss you!

May 28, 2014 at 12:00 pm