Wedding Guest Etiquette: Gift Giving

May 30, 2014 | By | Comments (7)

A gift for the bride and groom is a lovely thank you for their invitation, and a way to help set them up for their new life together. While you are welcome to choose any gift you think they’ll love, unless you know them very well, we do recommend making a selection from their registry–it’s the easiest way to ensure you give a gift they’ll cherish, rather than one that will end up in an attic, or (heaven forbid) re-gifted! If simply buying a registry gift through a few clicks on your computer feels a little too impersonal though, we have the solution: pair an item from their registry with a smaller, personal item that’s related to the gift you select. Here are a few of our favorite combinations!

Registry-Pairings

KitchenAid stand mixer + baking cookbook, fine china + monogrammed table runner, coffee maker + cute coffee mugs, pots and pans + recipe box, luggage + personalized luggage tags

A few more tips for wedding gift giving:

If you do choose to go off-registry, we’d still recommend taking a peek at the registry list, as it can give you an idea of what they’ve already received, as well as their tastes and needs.

Send a gift in advance. Yes, you can bring a gift to the wedding, but sending it in advance takes some of the burden off whoever is packing up at the end of the reception. Since many couples get married in places other than where they live, sending a gift to their home means they don’t have to worry about transporting it in a car or on a plane.

Money gifts are also often greatly appreciated–many couples use them for a once-in-a-lifetime honeymoon or to fund a house down payment. A sweet, heartfelt card wishing the couple well is the perfect way to personalize a monetary gift.

We’d love to know, what are your favorite gifts to give at weddings?

For more wedding etiquette advice, see our guest etiquette series on The Daily South and our Southern Etiquette column on Southern Weddings.

COMMENTS

1. Tamil Grooms

Best blog..Useful guide in this blog..all things are good..Thank u so much

October 25, 2014 at 2:11 am
  2. angela bradley

I always give two weeding photo albums. 1 large for the house and 1 small for the purse.when my best friend got married people were always asking to see the wedding photos so I got her a small album she take her photos with her.

June 4, 2014 at 8:50 pm
  3. Maggie Smallwood

When I give a crock pot (if it’s on the Gift Registry) I always include several of my most favorite crock pot recipes with it.

May 31, 2014 at 2:43 pm
  4. Jo Ann Huff

I had an invitation from a couple who were already set up household wise. So I took sandwiches to the wedding party on the day of the wedding. It would be one less thing to be thought about on that busy day.

May 31, 2014 at 7:41 am
  5. Tania Green

The best wedding gift that I received was a beautiful picnic basket stuffed with supplies for two and a roadmap. The card read something along the lines of “Wishing for our marriage and life together to be full of fun, unexpected turns.”

We used that map until it was falling apart. :-)

May 31, 2014 at 6:36 am
  6. Southern Weddings Weekly Round-Up – Southern Weddings Magazine

[…] chatted about gift giving etiquette and rounded up some of our favorite wedding gift […]

May 31, 2014 at 5:01 am
  7. Susie Watts

I think you have provided some good wedding gift ideas, but I like to make my gifts a little more personal. I have been giving monogrammed duvet covers and pillow shams from an Etsy shop called Southern-Linens. They are beautiful and so appreciated by every couple.

May 30, 2014 at 6:46 pm