Seven reasons why Southern cooks worth their salt should master Homemade Mayonnaise.
1. If bourbon is the social lubricant of the South, then mayonnaise is the culinary ball bearings. It makes your deviled egg, chicken salads, potato salads, pimiento cheese, and tomato sandwiches sing.
2. Homemade mayonnaise tastes better than store bought. (Yes, even Duke’s.)
3. It’s healthier too.
4. A certain magic happens when you slowly whip egg yolks with oil. This creamy emulsion is a fundamental lesson in kitchen chemistry.
5. Got your emulsion down? Now learn the art of enhancing and balancing flavors with vinegar, lemon juice and salt. (We recommend Diamond Crystal kosher.)
6. Making mayo will make your grandmother’s heart full.
7. Mayonnaise is the Southern mother sauce and the foundation for dozens of other sauces. Customize your own by adding everything from herbs to Sriracha.
Tell us how you’re enjoying Southern food with your friends and family by tagging your Tweets, Facebook posts, and Instagrams with#SouthernFoodNow. You might be featured in an upcoming post.