Think Outside The Jar: 10 Surprising Things To Do With Duke’s

June 3, 2014 | By | Comments (23)
2296310_AtoZG_Camilles Grandmother Loved Duke

Painting by Amy C. Evans

Everyone knows that mayo is great on sandwiches and in dips, but here are 10 ways to get creative with the South’s favorite condiment.

1. Use mayo in a chocolate cake: Skip the eggs and butter (or oil), and use mayonnaise instead. This swap ensures a moist cake with intense chocolate-y flavor.

2. Make shortbread. Try this sinfully simple recipe for perfectly crisp, delightfully short shortbread that’s not too sweet.

Beat 1 stick softened butter and 1/3 cup granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in 1/2 cup Duke’s mayonnaise. Reduce mixer speed to low, and gradually add 11/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/8 tsp. kosher salt, beating just until combined. Place dough on a sheet of parchment paper, and shape into a 12-inch log. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350˚. Slice dough into 1/8-inch-thick slices and arrange 2 inches apart on baking sheets.  Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until set. Cool completely on wire racks.

3. Use mayo instead of conditioner after washing your hair for lustrous locks. Seriously.

4. Make White BBQ Sauce. You don’t have to live in northern Alabama to love “white sauce,” the state’s tangy, creamy contribution to the world of cue. Here’s one of our favorite recipes.

5. Use mayo instead of sour cream in casseroles, to make sure your sauce stays silky smooth.

6. Stir soy sauce, citrus, salt, pepper, spices and herbs into mayo to create a delicious marinade for grilled meats.

7. Move over ketchup, here comes Duke’s.  Dip your French fries in mayonnaise for a luxurious change of pace.

8. Polish piano keys or other ivory objects of art.

9. Brush corn or the cob or other grilled veggies with mayo before or after grilling, and then roll them in breadcrumbs or cheese for a tasty crisp coating.

10. Rub mayo to remove the sticky goo left behind by stickers.

Tell us how you’re enjoying Southern food with your friends and family by tagging your Tweets, Facebook posts, and Instagrams with #SouthernFoodNow. You might be featured in an upcoming post.

southernfoodnow online banner Think Outside The Jar: 10 Surprising Things To Do With Dukes

COMMENTS

1. Dill Pickle Chips and Alabama White Sauce | Eat Joyfully

[…] For the mayo in white sauce I will always and forever recommend Duke’s. I actually get my Duke’s mayo shipped to me via amazon, because I cannot buy it in California and I am NOT kidding it is just that good. (Feel free to read more about the magic of Duke’s here.) […]

June 28, 2014 at 10:59 pm
  2. 25 Reasons Why Southern Food Rules | Your Hub for Southern Culture

[…] 21. …and the McGyvers of Duke’s Mayonnaise. Think outside the jar. […]

June 19, 2014 at 6:01 pm
  3. Jim

I use dukes on freyd Polk

June 9, 2014 at 1:31 pm
  4. Moonpye

Stir Duke’s into mashed potatoes instead of butter or sour cream. Heavenly!!

June 7, 2014 at 12:32 pm
  5. Lorna Kutchera

My Mom used mayo to shine the leaves on her indoor plants.

June 5, 2014 at 8:22 am
  6. Kay

My mother used Dukes, her mother used Dukes, and I use Dukes-no other will do. When I give recipes that call for mayo to friends, I always tell them to use Dukes or it won’t taste the same. I have a picture of myself on Christmas morning 1959 when I was a little girl. Santa had brought a table and chairs set. Guess what was on that little kitchen table? A jar of Dukes!

June 4, 2014 at 10:39 pm
  7. Kathie

Vicki just look for a “mayo cake” recipe…and tweak to your tastes. They are very rich, dense chocolate cakes :)

June 4, 2014 at 10:34 pm
  8. T. Thomas

Mayo on spaggetti and meatballs, blackeyed peas and rice, or red beans and rice.

June 4, 2014 at 7:45 pm
  9. Lynn Moore

Use Dukes Mayonnaise to remove sticky residue left by price stickers on plastic or wood.

June 4, 2014 at 7:38 pm
  10. Beel (@BoulderBill)

Use mayo instead of butter to make grilled cheese sandwiches.

June 4, 2014 at 5:12 pm
  11. ora meeks

This condiment is expensive and most grocery stores carry Dukes My Momma would always buy Dukes and she has 5 daughters and all five of us this is always buy Dukes something we all remember our Momma doing this: also The Best Mayo but I am stingy with it cause it cost as much a steak LOL!!!

June 4, 2014 at 4:49 pm
  12. Jenny Jones

Mayo on hot cornbread instead of butter. Also, mayo on jello or a jello salad.

June 4, 2014 at 4:03 pm
  13. Jenny Jones

I’m from WV. Growing up we ate mayo on cornbread when it was right out of the oven. I also loved it on plain jello salad or a jello congealed salad with fruit. So good!

June 4, 2014 at 3:57 pm
  14. LaWanda Dean

I use may on the outside of my bread for grilled sandwiches,I mix mayo with siracha sauce for a dip,great on fried calamari,shrimp,etc.I mix it with wasabi for a dip.I slather it on chicken or fish then bread and fry it.Delicious!

June 4, 2014 at 2:47 pm
  15. karen cox

Brush mayonnaise on hamburg or hot dog buns before toasting on your grill. Save the butter for your lobstah!

June 4, 2014 at 1:53 pm
  16. Sandra Boersema

I use for making corn bread instead of egg.I heaping tbsp…

June 4, 2014 at 1:44 pm
  17. Tammy

It is great on roasted chicken or turkey, or for baking fish. I actually have a recipe for roasted chicken that is unbelievable.

June 4, 2014 at 11:14 am
  18. Linda Matthews

It can be used to remove water spots from wood.

June 4, 2014 at 11:00 am
  19. Nana

I use mayo on the outside of the bread when making grilled cheese. Yummmm!

June 4, 2014 at 10:36 am
  20. Cyreise Highfill

From Okla City, where can I PURCHASE Dukes mayo???

June 4, 2014 at 10:14 am
  21. Jenny

If you run out of Crisco you can substitute Dukes when making biscuits. I also always put a spoonful in my mashed potatoes. :)

June 4, 2014 at 10:12 am
  22. Vicki

How do you measure the mayo for eggs-and-butter substitution in the chocolate cake recipe? Do all other ingredients and baking time remain the same?

June 4, 2014 at 9:38 am
  23. William Cochran

Thanks for all these great ideas. I never realized that mayo could be used in so many great ways.

June 3, 2014 at 6:13 pm