Everyone knows that mayo is great on sandwiches and in dips, but here are 10 ways to get creative with the South’s favorite condiment.
1. Use mayo in a chocolate cake: Skip the eggs and butter (or oil), and use mayonnaise instead. This swap ensures a moist cake with intense chocolate-y flavor.
2. Make shortbread. Try this sinfully simple recipe for perfectly crisp, delightfully short shortbread that’s not too sweet.
Beat 1 stick softened butter and 1/3 cup granulated sugar with an electric mixer on medium-high speed until light and fluffy. Beat in 1/2 cup Duke’s mayonnaise. Reduce mixer speed to low, and gradually add 11/4 cups all-purpose flour and 1/8 tsp. kosher salt, beating just until combined. Place dough on a sheet of parchment paper, and shape into a 12-inch log. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill 1 hour. Preheat oven to 350˚. Slice dough into 1/8-inch-thick slices and arrange 2 inches apart on baking sheets. Bake 12 to 15 minutes or until set. Cool completely on wire racks.
3. Use mayo instead of conditioner after washing your hair for lustrous locks. Seriously.
4. Make White BBQ Sauce. You don’t have to live in northern Alabama to love “white sauce,” the state’s tangy, creamy contribution to the world of cue. Here’s one of our favorite recipes.
5. Use mayo instead of sour cream in casseroles, to make sure your sauce stays silky smooth.
6. Stir soy sauce, citrus, salt, pepper, spices and herbs into mayo to create a delicious marinade for grilled meats.
7. Move over ketchup, here comes Duke’s. Dip your French fries in mayonnaise for a luxurious change of pace.
8. Polish piano keys or other ivory objects of art.
9. Brush corn or the cob or other grilled veggies with mayo before or after grilling, and then roll them in breadcrumbs or cheese for a tasty crisp coating.
10. Rub mayo to remove the sticky goo left behind by stickers.
Tell us how you’re enjoying Southern food with your friends and family by tagging your Tweets, Facebook posts, and Instagrams with #SouthernFoodNow. You might be featured in an upcoming post.