Coming Soon! The Greatest Southern Gardening Book of All Time!

July 27, 2014 | By | Comments (16)
Southrn Living Garden Book

Incredibly wise gardeners who bought the last Southern Living Garden Book (above) published in 2004 are always asking me: “When are you going to revise it? A lot has changed in 10 years.” Grumpy has heard your pleas. And he is delighted to announce that an all-new, completely revised edition will set the world on its ear in January 2015!!!

Yes, it’s true. Grumpy has been holed up in his tomb-like office for the better part of two years poring over each and every sentence and fact in the previous 720-page tome, adding worthy plants that have appeared since 2004 and eliminating others that have proved to really suck. The new book will be 800+ pages. Like the previous work, the description of each of more than 7,000 plants tells you where it will grow, how to grow it, and what to expect based on our unparalleled experience of gardening in the South.

Southern Living Garden Book

Oakleaf hydrangea at Sandy Helsel’s Virginia garden. Photo: Steve Bender

But since even the Grump doesn’t know everything (brief pause here while you regain consciousness), we have recruited an extraordinary lineup of gardening luminaries to review the text and add their insights. If you’re a plant geek, you’ll recognize these names:

Michael Dirr
Allan Armitage
Tony Avent
Dan Heims
Brent and Becky Heath
Greg Grant
Jenny Wegley
Mike Francis
Chris VanCleave
And many more

One of the biggest changes you’ll see in the new book is the number of color photos. Whereas illustrations accompanied plant entries before, now you’ll see beautiful photos. We’ve updated our growing zones to reflect the change in climate over the last 11 years. Our revised pest control and problem-solving advice relies primarily on natural, organic, and sustainable methods. You’ll get the latest intel on annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs, container gardening, vegetables, fruits, herbs, lawns, bulbs, vines, houseplants, and more.

Southern Living Gardening Book

Bougainvillea at Coral Gables, Florida. Photo: Steve Bender

Below is a photo of the new cover featuring pretty blue hydrangeas. As you longingly gaze upon it, think about Grumpy feverishly slaving away to finish the job just so YOU will have the perfect Christmas gift to order for your friends, family, colleagues, and parole officers! It’s all for you.

Southern Living Garden Book

The NEW Southern Living Garden Book! Coming this January 2015!

COMMENTS

1. ManureTea Since 1924 (@GreenSoil)

I thought it was the retched drought that was fueling my thoughts of a move South. Now I know it’s the anticipation and the coming release of your book that has me longing for a glass of sweet tea, linen and a view of the garden from the front porch! Congratulations Steve and to all who contributed and yes, I want a signed copy!

October 2, 2014 at 6:50 am
  2. RedneckRosarian

Reblogged this on Helena Beautiful and commented:
    The revised Southern Living Garden Book will be released in January 2015. Be sure to check it out. You might find the name of a Helena resident you recognize in the credits…..

October 1, 2014 at 9:18 pm

Katherine,

It won’t be long. I will let everyone know ASAP.

September 26, 2014 at 10:34 am
  4. Katherine Barnes

When will we be able to pre order the NEW one?

September 22, 2014 at 5:27 pm

Dawn,
    Thank you! Now you have the perfect Xmas gift for somebody else while you order the new one for you!

August 8, 2014 at 10:57 am
  6. Dawn Able

Now **I’m** grumpy… I just bought it this spring!

August 3, 2014 at 6:01 pm
  7. Fan Disharoon

My old one is coming apart at the seams. I should buy two – I’d love to have one signed by “Grumpy” to cherish, and one to carry around with me to the garden stores and in the yard. Can’t wait to hold it and read it!

July 31, 2014 at 9:13 pm

Answers: I think we’ll make pre-orders possible (possibly signed!), but haven’t set that up yet. Yes, it will cover plants for central Florida.

July 31, 2014 at 2:54 pm
  9. Ideas To Try In Your Organic Garden | ValcomTech

[…] Coming Soon! The Greatest Southern Gardening Book of All … […]

July 30, 2014 at 3:49 am
  10. Jean Carraway

Can it be pre-ordered. I have the old one and it is just about worn out.

July 29, 2014 at 11:42 am
  11. Cindy Moline

This book sounds good, but I wonder if it addresses gardening in central Florida. So many things are different when you are trying to grow things here!

July 28, 2014 at 2:20 pm
  12. Mary Harp

Yay!!!! I’ve been watching for an update for years! I have the first and second books – and they are wonderful! Even bought another copy of the revised book for my niece. The information is easy to understand and includes everything you need to know about a plant. So glad you created another update! Can’t wait to see it!

July 28, 2014 at 12:12 pm
  13. Carole West

I will have to keep a look out for this one – Love all the images they inspire beauty.
    Carole at GardenUp green

July 28, 2014 at 7:17 am
  14. Carolyn Choi

But, but I haven’t finished with the original yet. My copy is only 2 years old.

July 27, 2014 at 2:35 pm
  15. My Info

As And many more I would like to thank you for including my helpful rants in your SLGB revision. AMM~~

July 27, 2014 at 10:49 am
  16. Barbara Ryburn

Look forward to ordering the new garden book!

Barb Ryburn