Has Cher jumped out of your 1995 Clueless VHS and landed here in her yellow plaid blazer and pleated mini to debate partying with the Hai-ti-ans? Nope. Nineteen years after the box office hit, Iggy Azalea mimics the Gen X valley girl in her music video for the chart topper, Fancy. Okay, okay, we know that Iggy’s outfit might be tongue-in-cheek, but the matchy-matchy look is back—showing up on runways and red carpets—and it appears that it’s here to stay. Check out our girl Reese, a favorite Southern startlet, for styling cues. Here are a few dos and don’ts for looking chic not clueless.
- Do a blousy printed tank and short combo. We love Lucca Couture’s Navy Floral tank ($61) and shorts ($61); revolveclothing.com.
- Don’t match your printed athletic gear. Kelly, Jessie, and Lisa are all spandex enthusiasts, but I wouldn’t take any fashion tips from them.
- Do a matching crop top and high-waisted bottom. Re:named got it right with its Casual Trousers and Open Back Crop Top ($33.60); shopbop.com.
- Don’t match your hat to your overcoat. It could be a royal disaster.
- Do find two pieces that translate as one. Try this Asos exclusive printed top (42.56) and skirt ($35.79); asos.com.
- Don’t match your denim hat—or vest for that matter—to your twin sister’s. Two people should never translate as one. Or abuse denim.
We want to hear from you! Will you do the matchy-matchy look this season or file it away as a fashion faux pas forever?