Secrets to the Ultimate PB&J (and to Becoming a Superhero)

August 12, 2014 | By | Comments (11)
Photo by Whitney Wright

Photo by Whitney Wright

Although I was once a cook in one of the world’s fanciest restaurants, I’ll never waiver on my opinion about the greatest sandwich on earth.  I’m talking about the Peanut Butter and Jelly, of course.

PB&Js are simple, fast, easy-on-the-wallet, and downright delicious. Kind of like food from, well, McDonalds.  PB&J’s however, don’t come with the guilt of supporting a fast food, super-sized eating mantra.  And although they’re the stalwart of the elementary school brown bag lunch, I’ll make the case it is the sexiest sandwich ever.  It has a playful nature and alluring ingredients (soft, supple bread + sweet, velvety peanut butter + sticky, luscious jam) that make you want to make out.

An everyday PB&J fits the bill for all I’ve described above. But if you make one using the tips below, your kids will think you’ve got superpowers and your husband will buy you flowers. Ready, set, go…

1. Use the Right Bread
Choose anything that has the texture of Wonder Bread.  If you insist on a loaf that’s full of seeds and nuts, that’s fine, but make sure it is soft and fresh.  Lightly toasting the bread is appropriate, but only if you’re going open-face.

2. Use Red Jam
Duh. Orange and yellow-colored jams make the sandwich taste “interesting,” an adjective that has no business near a PB&J.

3. Add Butter
Spread a thin veil of room temperature butter on each slice of bread. Ruth Reichl taught me that. If you’re freaking out about the added fat and calories, please stop. It’s not like the sandwich is all that good for you in the first place.

4. Nuke It
Another tip a la Ruth. Eight seconds in the microwave will do the trick. The peanut butter delightfully melts without getting goopy and hot. Speaking of temperature changes, some advocate for cooking the sandwich like a grilled cheese. It’s a fine idea, but adds 5 minutes of prep time and dirties a pan, therefore I abstain.

5. Consider Potato Chips
If you need a variation, a single layer of potato chips make it crispy and salty.  Awesome. Recently, our Test Kitchen discovered that BBQ potato chips are great option; if you’re a bacon fanatic, you’ll love how they add a hint of smoky flavor.

6. Skip the Plate
There is something wonderful about eating a PB&J straight off of a paper towel, or better yet, a piece of wax paper. I love the way wax paper feels between my fingers and the crinkly noise it makes when you fold or crumple it.  No plate is great for nostalgia.  And, no plate is a good reminder that in today’s crazy world, we can feed ourselves and our souls in less than a minute with just a few ingredients.

COMMENTS

1. Fenway

I almost hate to say this but my premier PBJ is topped off with crispy bacon. 😋

April 2, 2015 at 2:46 pm
  2. Link love – |

[…] Happy National Peanut Butter & Jelly Day… here’s a guide to the ultimate one […]

April 2, 2015 at 1:42 pm
  3. Jane Turner

Great idea for lunch boxes; however, here at our local schools in Baldwin county, AL pb&j is forbidden because someone in the school is allergic to peanuts.

August 28, 2014 at 5:44 pm
  4. Paige

Grilled peanut butter, honey and bananas. Its worth the effort

August 19, 2014 at 10:21 pm
  5. janet

Actually Frito are much tastier than boring old potato chips. Yum so crunchy plus the corny goodness adds so much

August 19, 2014 at 9:22 pm
  6. Michael

Forget the nuke, grill it like you would a grilled cheese sandwich.

August 19, 2014 at 8:37 pm
  7. Littletoyman

Potato chips on a PB&J, I’ve been doing that for over 70 years. It was more for the convenience than the taste although that entered into it. With only a 30-minute lunch recess, who wanted to waste time for eating. Add chips just before eating however, as any sooner they will lose their crispness.

August 19, 2014 at 3:03 pm
  8. Karen Ellis

Sheesh! What about chunky or smooth pb? Fresh made natural or jarred from a factory? I *like* good old grape jelly, especially home canned. Grilled on sourdough with sliced bananas is yummy. I have one friend who adds mayo, which I considered a travesty until I tried it.

Isn’t there a cafe in Manhattan devoted to nothing but PB&J?

August 19, 2014 at 1:25 pm
  9. lizzgold7

love the honesty! (tip #3) refreshing! 8 seconds in the nuker-hummm-might just have to try that, thanks!

August 19, 2014 at 1:12 pm
  10. Thursday Waylay – What, What, What | Peachtree Roadies

[…] Any PB&J lovers out there? Stripes is a HUGE fan – and clearly still a kid a heart. Southern Living provided some great tips for upgrading this classic! […]

August 14, 2014 at 9:08 am
  11. pvwink

Mix the jelly with the peanut butter…then all the other things you said. Nothing like what my children call a ‘mom’s mumbo jumbo peanut butter and jelly sandwich’

August 13, 2014 at 3:31 pm