5 Bugs I’d Wipe Off the Face of the Earth

August 17, 2014 | By | Comments (12)
Yellow jackets

Vicious yellow jackets. Photo: Brenbot

Doomed Bad Bug #1 — Yellow Jacket (above)
Who has anything nice to say about yellow jackets? They build nests in crevices, holes in the ground, and other places undetectable by humans until you stumble upon one. Then yellow jackets sting by the dozens and each can sting multiple times. Because they’re strongly attracted to sugar, they make life miserable during picnics and late summer outings, swarming around food and drinks. One even crawled into my beer when I wasn’t looking and stung me when I graciously spit him out.

Pre-Armageddon controls — yellow jacket traps, wasp & hornet sprays.

Doomed Bad Bug #2 — Imported Fire Ant

Fire ants

Hateful imported fire ants. Photo: marufish

Pre-Armageddon controls — for season-long control for large areas like lawns, quick-acting, long-lasting fire ant granules you apply with a lawn spreader like Ortho Max Fire Ant Killer work better for me than slower-acting baits containing fipronil (Over ‘N Out). To treat individual mounds, you can use Amdro Firestrike or Ferti-Lome Spinosad Fire Ant Killer. The latter is a natural product derived from rum. Some folks claim you can kill a mound by pouring a liter bottle of club soda on the mound. The carbon dioxide drives out the oxygen and the little creeps suffocate. I’m good with that.

Doomed Bad Bug #3 — Mosquito

Asian tiger mosquito

Asian tiger mosquitoes suck! Photo: glacvdorg

Hyperbole isn’t necessary to make the point that the world would be a much better place if mosquitoes were annihilated. They kill more than a million people every year by transmitting diseases like malaria, yellow fever, West Nile virus, and encephalitis. And now the South is home to the loathsome, heat-loving Asian tiger mosquito that bites 24 hours a day. Adult mosquitoes live about two weeks on average. That’s 14 days too long.

Pre-Armageddon controls — using repellents containing DEET or picardin; eliminating pools of standing water where mosquitoes breed; treating birdbaths and water features with Mosquito Dunks that use a beneficial bacterium to kill mosquito larvae for 30 days; using fans to keep the air moving around outdoor sitting areas.

Doomed Bad Bug #4 — Cockroach

Cockroach

See what can happen when cockroaches eat too many egg rolls? Photo: MShades

Cockroaches must be eliminated not just from the Earth, but all of the Milky Way galaxy. They do absolutely no good and can survive practically anywhere — even a place as hostile to life as the Atlanta airport. There’s one crawling up your leg right now.

Pre-Armageddon controls — hiring an exterminator; roach traps; roach sprays; boric acid; not leaving old food piled on the floor and countertops for more than 28 days; lowering the house temperature to -15 degrees.

Doomed Bad Bug #5 — Monarch Butterfly

Monarch butterfly

Evil monarch butterfly. Photo: acryptozoo

I’m just kidding. I’m just kidding. I’m just kidding. Really, I’m just kidding.

COMMENTS

1. stephanie

Gnats.

September 19, 2014 at 11:21 am
  2. Julia Klaverenga

What about those big houseflies? Nasty, nasty, nasty!!!!

September 7, 2014 at 10:04 am
  3. Julia Phelps

Vote with the Deborah, Japanese beetle…no use, bird don’t even care for them, and Steve with the fire ants, not much use for those two. Roaches and mosquitos are a food source for our winged friends, and the yellow jackets…well they do eat aphids and worms/larvae that invade our plants. If their nests are out and away from the garden…then let them be?….
    ( yes, I’ve been stung )

August 23, 2014 at 6:10 pm

Surprised nobody here has mentioned stinkbugs.

August 21, 2014 at 2:19 pm
  5. home, garden, life

My number one enemy in the garden would be all ticks!!!! Be gone evil ones!!

August 20, 2014 at 10:45 am
  6. Joanie D

LUBBERS!!! They eat giant holes in my crinums.

August 18, 2014 at 9:59 pm
  7. Chris

You better back track about them monarchs mister,,,lol, they are beautiful

August 18, 2014 at 12:46 pm
  8. Doug

I’m down with permanently whacking ticks. Those little suckers have become the bane of my existence.

August 18, 2014 at 11:31 am
  9. These 5 Bugs Must Die! | Gradegood

[…] (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({});(adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); Mercy has always been one of Grumpy’s most endearing traits, but not when it comes to these five bad bugs. If the Big Guy granted me absolute power, I’d exterminate every single one of them right now.Undoubtedly, some bleeding-heart ecologist will claim fire ants play an important role in the ecosystem. I think I speak for the remainder of Southernkind when I say I don’t give a flip. They’re not native for one thing — they were accidentally brought here from Central and South America. They sting to death people, ground-nesting birds, livestock, and other animals. They even eat fruits and veggies. They must all die. Read full article […]

August 18, 2014 at 8:26 am
  10. karine

Fleas and those big green worms that have eaten my tomatoes top my list, then scorpions and brown recluse spiders..Oh, and centipedes!

August 17, 2014 at 12:33 pm
  11. Maura

I’d vote for aphids.

August 17, 2014 at 11:27 am
  12. Deborah

What about the dreaded Japanese beetle that shred my plants?

August 17, 2014 at 10:53 am