Exclusive Stream: “Little Queenie” by Jerry Lee Lewis

August 25, 2014 | By | Comments (10)
Photo by Tony R. Phipps / WireImage

Photo by Tony R. Phipps / Getty Images

Some people were just born to be larger than life. As a child, even before he put fingers to ivories, Jerry Lee Lewis lived life more enthusiastically than anything Concordia Parish, Louisiana, had ever seen. And after he got his hands on his own piano, a wood-paneled upright from P.A. Starck Piano Co., The Killer was unstoppable. This is the artist Sam Phillips of Sun Records—the man who discovered Elvis—called “the most talented man I ever worked with, black or white. One of the most talented human beings to walk on God’s earth.”

And with his new album, Rock & Roll Time (available now for pre-order on Amazon), Jerry Lee shows he’s still got a whole lotta shakin’ goin’ on. He recorded the album in Memphis in collaboration with a roll call of musical greats, including Ron Wood, Neil Young, and Ivan Neville. But don’t expect a series of simple duets. On this production, the genre’s “first great wild man” comes through front and center. The rest of the rock royalty effectively backs him—and lets him do his thing. In his track-by-track backstory for the album, Jerry Lee says, “Chuck Berry’s ‘Little Queenie’ was always a great song, and like all great songs, it still is one. So I played it here, and having Keith Richards and Ron Wood play with me is pretty cool.”

The album comes out October 28 (as does Jerry Lee Lewis: His Own Story, a biography by great Southern storyteller Rick Bragg), but you can get a sneak peek of “Little Queenie” here:

“Little Queenie”
Written by — Chuck Berry
Arc Music (BMI)
Isalee Music Publishing (BMI)
Guitar — Keith Richards
Guitar — Ron Wood
Guitar — Waddy Wachtel
Guitar — Kenny Lovelace
Bass — Rick Rosas
Drums, Percussion — Jim Keltner

COMMENTS

1. David

Don’t expect JLL to sound 21 anymore. I am just thankful that he is still here and with us to be making yet another album. The sound is definitely different from the original- there’s no denying it. I still like it and enjoy listening to it. Rock on, Killer!

September 17, 2014 at 7:20 am
  2. mivillaparaiso.com

A switchbox may be hardwired on the mini bar in making operation easier.
    Rabbi Akiva was a role model for those seekers who travelled
    the path. Rigid led light bar roof mount It came with no games preinstalled but
    offered an individual the option of downloading games with
    their choice.

Installed about this Nokia N-series phone is a photo editor plus a video editor.

Unveiled at CTIA 2011, the HTC Merge didn’t jump
    out as an amazing smartphone, but did it have enough to compete
    using the current line up of turbo charged smartphones.

September 11, 2014 at 11:49 pm
  3. garage door repair

I’m gone to tell my little brother, that he should also
    go to see this blog on regular basis to get updated from most
    up-to-date reports.

September 4, 2014 at 9:23 am
  4. garage door repair

Marvelous, what a website it is! This weblog provides helpful information to us, keep it up.

September 3, 2014 at 3:26 pm
  5. allister garage door opener

I’ve been surfing online greater than three hours today, yet I by no means discovered any fascinating article like yours.
    It’s pretty value enough for me. In my opinion, if all webmasters and bloggers made just
    right content material as you probably did, the web
    shall be much more useful than ever before.

September 1, 2014 at 10:58 am
  6. Morgan Fisher

We can’t blame The Killer for wanting to keep his name alive, but I am sorry to say that this is not an improvement on his original version. You don’t believe me? Have a listen:

Brings back memories, don’t it. The piano still pumped, the drums still thumped. A bunch of guys in a recording studio with a microphone. The way it should be.

August 27, 2014 at 4:22 pm
  7. Lala

Commenting ahead of me are three Jerry Lee Lewis experts/fans. Sometimes I disagree with these guys, but not this time. I’m not an expert on Jerry Lee. I’m not a musician. I’m a simple fan and this cut is terrible.
    I also hated the Bad, Bad Leroy Brown release I heard recently. This CD is shaping up to be a big disappointment.

August 27, 2014 at 12:28 pm
  8. Niek

” But don’t expect a series of simple duets. On this production, the genre’s “first great wild man” comes through front and center.” At least not in this one where he’s oveshadowed by guitars and you can’t even here a piano at all ;-)

August 27, 2014 at 9:40 am
  9. Luke

wheres the piano?

August 26, 2014 at 11:00 pm
  10. Peter

What idiot mixed this??? Jerry’s piano is (just about) audible while he’s singing, yet disappears completely between lines, and his vocal / piano is swamped in reverb yet the very obvious guitar overdubs are completely “dry”… Bring back Jimmy Rip, at least he knew how to fake “duets” convincingly!

I’ve heard the undubbed version of this (actually recorded 2008 or 2009) & it’s a pretty good version, but this is completely ruined.

August 26, 2014 at 12:27 pm