The Elements of Power Dressing You Need To Be Professional And Chic

September 2, 2014 | By | Comments (6)

It’s back-to-school time for the kids, but for most of us it’s another day at the office. As students dive into courses in arithmetic and geography, we’re offering up a lesson on the elements of power dressing—that is, creating a work-appropriate wardrobe that’s equal parts professional, practical, and chic.

Graphic by Betsy Lovell

Graphic by Betsy Lovell

The New Skirt Suit Collarless blazer + an updated pencil skirt + a printed blouse
For:
Bankers, lawyers, university professors, corporate execs
Get the Look: Minuet Petite Jacket ($81); Milly Skirt ($250); Diane von Furstenberg Blouse ($155)

Everyday Sleek: Sheath dress in your power color (e.g., red, blue, coral, green) + a wide belt + snakeskin pumps
For: Ad execs, public relations reps, editors, executive assistants
Get the Look: River Island Dress ($60); Fashion Focus Belt ($20); MICHAEL Michael Kors Pumps ($115)

Casual and Polished: Dark denim trousers + Crisp Button-Down + colorful necklace
For: Shopkeepers, teachers, restaurant managers, self-employed creatives
Get The Look: Claridge & King Shirt ($132); Long Tall Sally Trousers ($70); Elva Fields Necklace ($268)

Have any work attire questions? Email style@southernliving.com

COMMENTS

1. Sondria

I am also interested to know where Mary Catherine McClellan purchased the boots that she’s wearing. They are absolutely gorgeous!

October 26, 2014 at 12:03 am
  2. Tiffany D Lewis

I’m making over $7k a month working part time. I kept hearing other people tell me how much money they can make online so I decided to look into it. Well, it was all true and has totally changed my life. This is what I do… http://www.swipebuck.com

September 14, 2014 at 4:49 am
  3. Bridgett Petzoldt

I love her hair in that picture too! And the boots!!

September 10, 2014 at 9:53 am
  4. Ronnie A. Smith (@Sronnie426A)

til I looked at the receipt saying $9545 , I accept that…my… cousin woz like they say actualey bringing in money in their spare time from there pretty old laptop. . there brothers friend had bean doing this less than eleven months and by now paid for the dept on there cottage and bourt a brand new Lancia . This Site

See This Site ,.,,,,, moneykin.cᵒm

September 7, 2014 at 4:37 pm
  5. Lisa Roberts

upto I looked at the check for $8465 , I have faith that my friends brother actualy taking home money part time at their computer. . there dads buddy has been doing this for only about 12 months and at present repayed the depts on there condo and bourt a great new Volkswagen Golf GTI . read this article ………… http://cli.gs/kp3h57b

September 5, 2014 at 5:18 pm
  6. Darlene

In your September 2014 issue, Mary Catherine McClellan is wearing cowboy boots, do you have any idea where she purchased these? I love them!!

September 4, 2014 at 4:19 pm