With Labor Day behind us it might feel like summer is over, but in the South we know the dog days will linger on for weeks to come, and there’s nothing quite as refreshing as biting into a juicy slice of watermelon on a steamy day. It’s no surprise to us that this summer staple also does wonders for your skin.
Besides being ultra hydrating—it’s more than 90 percent water—watermelon is packed with anti-aging antioxidants and vitamins A and C, making it the perfect fruit for an easy at-home beauty treatment. So next time you’re using watermelon to make a fresh salad, a sweet treat, or a fruity cocktail, set aside a few extra pieces to whip up this moisturizing face mask.
1. Mix 1/4 cup mashed watermelon with 3 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (the yogurt has lactic acid that gently exfoliates and soothes).
2. Stir in 1 teaspoon honey.
3. If you have acne-prone skin, add 1 teaspoon mashed banana to reduce redness and inflammation. If you have older skin, try 1 teaspoon mashed avocado to plump and tighten.
4. Apply the mixture all over your face, and let it sit for 15 to 20 minutes.
5. Wash it off with warm water to reveal a soft, radiant, and hydrated complexion.
Bonus tip: If you have leftover watermelon juice, use it to relieve a sunburn! Just soak up the juice with a cotton pad and apply it to any irritated areas.
Curious about what other produce and pantry staples you can incorporate into your beauty routine? Email questions to firstname.lastname@example.org, and it might be featured in a future DIY Down South.