We’re just going to go ahead and say it—this week belongs to Taylor Swift. Her new album 1989, which debuted to rave reviews from everyone from Rolling Stone to the New York Times Monday, is set to sell 1 million copies in its first week. And while we’re a bit sad to see Tay deviate from her country crooning and Nashville zip code, we’re happy to see she hasn’t departed from her trademark red lips and bouncy locks during her endless rotation of TV appearances. Like a true Southern gal (even if just at heart) Taylor knows one doesn’t leave the house without a cute ‘do and glam lip color.
We chatted with celeb makeup and hair stylist Hillary Fenton of Exclusive Artists LA to learn how to pull off Taylor’s long-lasting, bright pout and tousled waves.
The Perfect Red Lip
- Find the right shade: Cherry reds tend to flatter fairer skin, and orange and brick reds are good for medium-to-deep skin tones.
- Set the stage: Apply foundation and powder all over lips before adding lipstick. This also ensures color stays true to what you see in the tube.
- Layer it on: Apply a coat of lipstick, blot off any excess color with a tissue, add a second coat, and blot again.
- Define it: Take a concealer pencil—try Make Up For Ever Concealer Pencil, $19–and trace it along the outside of your lips to define your pucker and prevent any color from bleeding.
Tousled, Bouncy Waves
- Prep tresses: Before blow drying, apply a styling concoction to damp strands to lock in body, hold, and shine. Mix together a curl gel for definition—try DevaCurl Ultra Defining Gel, $19.99; sculpting foam for smoothness and bounce—try: Paul Mitchell Sculpting Foam, $11.99; and a blowout balm for luster—try: TIGI Catwalk Sleek Mystique Blow Out Balm, $19.95. Comb the mixture in from the mid-shaft through the ends.
- Brush it out: Blowout hair. Use a round brush for added body.
- Make waves: For a natural look, grab random pieces of hair and curl with a 1-inch curling iron. Instead of using the iron’s clamp to keep strands in place, use fingers to wrap the section around the barrel for a looser finish. Alternate the direction you curl for a loose, carefree style.
- Lock it in: Set your fixed tresses with a few spritzes of hairspray—try Herbal Essences Tousle Me Softly, $3.37.
Halloween Bonus: Still need a costume? Just follow the tips outlined above, slip on a pair of heart-shaped sunnies, print out pictures of your ex-boyfriend to rip up throughout the night, and get ready to shake it off.