Does This Look Good To You?

July 9, 2015 | By | Comments (9)
Crepe myrtle

Photo: Steve Bender

Ask someone why they just chopped their crepe myrtle into stumps and they’ll usually say, “They bloom better when you prune.” OK, then. This one was pruned. Do you like the way it looks?

I don’t. This tree looks like a bad hair day. It looks like someone let the air out of the Macy’s Parade. It looks like a helicopter dropped Chris Christie on it.

THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS when you commit crepe murder by cutting back a crepe myrtle by half last winter. Come spring, it starts growing like crazy to make up for its head that got lopped off by you. The whiplike shoots grow straight up 3 to 4 feet long, but when they bloom, the shoots aren’t sturdy enough to hold up the flowers. So the mauled tree collapses in pathetic testimony to your copycat stupidity.

XTRA! XTRA! Read all about it! The world’s worst pruning job is in your front yard! For instructions on how to properly prune a crepe myrtle, read “Crepe Myrtle Pruning Step-By-Step.”

COMMENTS

1. Susanne Haynes Sasser

I always like to lot mine be tree trees and plant on either side of a path so there is a canopy

August 2, 2015 at 10:31 am
  2. Ann Lay

What is the cause of my beautiful green tomato plants to now have yellow droopy leaves? First I was told on utube it could be a lack of magnesium, so I sprayed formula of 2 tsp of Epson salt in 1 gallon of water over the plants then I was told by the nursery it was probably lack of iron and I bought a iron spray to put on my leaves and still they are dying on the vine. They were the prettiest plants I had ever had and now soooo sad!

July 18, 2015 at 4:46 pm
  3. emilie

I have a two and a half story high crepe myrtle in my yard. When it blooms the blossoms are so heavy that the boughs touch the ground and it looks like a gigantic swirl of pink cotton candy. The entire side yard vibrates with the number of bees that come to the flowers. It’s gorgeous and amazing!

July 14, 2015 at 6:36 pm
  4. Judy Williamson

My neighbor found me a craps turtle. Been looking but could not find one. It’s leaves look purple to me but she said its called black craps turtle. It has beautiful blooms on end of branches. Is this a true craps turtle? Sorry every time I type m it goes to t . Don’t know why.

July 14, 2015 at 6:27 am
  5. Dorothy Posey

I never thought I would feel sorry for something blooming lol

July 10, 2015 at 9:10 pm
  6. Karen

I love that you use photos of real plants, planted in front of real houses. Keep up the good work!

July 9, 2015 at 1:56 pm
  7. Patsybell

The crusade continues, Keep up the good work, Steve.

July 9, 2015 at 1:37 pm
  8. Kathleen

I think it resembles the flowers stuck in cemetery urns. Just needs a gravestone in front.

July 9, 2015 at 11:30 am
  9. Kylee Baumle

What? You don’t know a weeping crape myrtle when you see one?

July 9, 2015 at 10:17 am