When I think of summer my mind goes immediately to fresh fruit, my favorite tomatoes, and burgers hot off of the backyard grill. Contemplating those things made me want to combine them all. So, I did and with surprisingly delicious results.
I’ve been making a ton of watermelon and tomato salads (toss with basil and feta!) this summer but hadn’t really hit the grill yet. Heading to the grill I wanted to bring all of those flavors together with some of my favorite cheeses.
There are so many delicious fruits readily available now that are so great for the grill – watermelon is just one of my favorites at the moment. Peaches are fantastic on the grill, apples as well and, even cantaloupe.
Here are a few things my grill and I came up with for spicing up your burger time this summer.
Grilled Watermelon and Chevre Burger
- Toss watermelon slices (rinds removed) in olive oil and salt and pepper
- Grill watermelon for 3-4 mins a side
- Top with sliced rounds of chevre or smear spreadable chevre over. Remove from grill
- Grill your favorite burgers as normal then when ready to serve top them with the grilled watermelon and chevre slices
- Add slices of red juicy ripe tomatoes
- Enjoy! (Skipping the meat a grilled watermelon and chevre “burger” is a great vegetarian option)
Brie and Fruit Chutney Burgers
- Slice brie in 1/4 inch slices and place on your favorite grilled burgers 3-5 mins before they are ready to come off of the fire, just long enough for it to get gooey and melty
- Spread your favorite fruit chutney on a pretzel bun then top with the melted brie burger
Cheddar Apple Burger
- Peel, core and thinly slice 2 small green apples
- Drizzle lightly with honey and olive oil
- Grill slices alongside burgers for 3-5 mins per side
- Top burgers with apple slices and sharp cheddar cheese
- For a very decadent approach throw on a slice a bacon or two for each burger – the apple and cheddar will work great with the bacon
Share your favorite (and unusual) cheese burger recipes with me here.