Every Monday we bring you the SL Hot List, a round-up of the five latest and greatest things to hit the South. Consider it your weekly update on our region’s most buzzworthy food, culture, and style news.
1. Listen to Ashley Monroe’s latest album. Knoxville native and former Pistol Annies member Ashley Monroe releases her third album July 24th. In The Blade, Monroe collaborates with legends like Vince Gill to deliver music that takes traditional country music and makes it modern without losing its soul.
2. Head Out to Virginia for Floyd Fest. In its 14th year, this southwest Virginia festival keeps roots music alive with renowned artists such as Grace Potter, Emmylou Harris, Brandi Carlie, and Drive-By Truckers playing across five days. Tickets at $110 for day passes.
3. Celebrate female artists in D.C. The National Museum of Women in the Arts hosts its fourth installment of the Women to Watch series, highlighting emerging females in the field. This time the focus is on nature with photo exhibits, sculptures, and videos. You can check out Texan artist Ysabel LeMay, who through her art, expresses the appreciation she has for nature.
4. Enjoy Southern comfort in Decatur. Top Chef alum Kevin Gillespie opens his highly-anticipated Revival restaurant July 23 in Decatur, Georgia. It’s all about Southern food, and as the chef says, capturing the comforts of Sunday supper at grandma’s house, everyday. Expect dishes like old-fashioned skillet-fried green tomatoes, spiced Mississippi catfish in low country tomato gravy, and rustic peach and nectarine tart à la mode.
5. Check into the Graduate Charlottesville. Whether you’re in Charlottesville for collegiate pursuits or just to take in the city’s budding food scene, boutique hotel The Graduate offers plush accommodations off Main Street, across the street from UVA and 10 minutes from downtown. Rates start at $139.