Here are ten reasons why you should plan your next vacation to The Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel, Florida:
1. Find the Perfect Seashell: Some of the world’s best shelling can be found on Captiva and Sanibel Islands. Currents bring shells to the shore daily, most still fully intact and ready to be discovered by hunters.
2. Treat Yourself at Miromar Outlet Shops: No vacation is complete without a little retail therapy. To give your skin a break from the sun, visit the open-air mall that boasts over 140 high end outlet stores, complete with a Mediterranean-like atmosphere.
3. Tour the Edison & Ford Winter Estates: Explore the historic winter homes of Thomas Edison and Henry Ford, which are surrounded by 20 acres of historical botanical gardens that date back to 1929.
4. Spot a Dolphin: Whether you take an organized trip, or simply look out into the Gulf, you will always want to be on the lookout for dolphins splashing around in their natural habitat.
5. Visit the J.N. “Ding” Darling National Wildlife Refuge: The 7,600 acre wildlife refuge is home to over 245 species of birds, 60 types of reptiles, and 35 mammal species. The free education and visitors center is open daily, and self-guided or guided tours are available.
6. Go to Manatee Park: A visit to South Florida is not complete without a manatee spotting. The park is a place to see the beloved, endangered species in their natural environment.
7. Take a Self-Guided Kayak Tour: One of the best ways to explore the waters of The Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel is by kayak. You will have an up close and personal view of the wildlife and nature of the area, and no experience is necessary. You may even find yourself kayaking alongside a manatee.
8. Experience Sunset on the Beach: Make sure to set aside a night to enjoy sunset from the beach. Southwest Florida is known for their marvelous sunsets, and you’ll want to make sure you have your camera.
9. Explore at Sanibel Lighthouse: The lighthouse, built in 1884, is the most photographed feature of Sanibel Island.
10. Cruise on the Key West Express: Experience Key West without the hassle of a drive. Sit back and relax as the captain leads your trip to the Southern-most point in the U.S.
With these items just being a small taste of what The Beaches of Fort Myers & Sanibel has to offer, visit FortMyers-Sanibel.com to start planning your vacation today, and get a free Lonely Planet Guidebook. You can also sign up for an eNewsletter to keep up with all the latest offers and travel information.