5 Tips For Choosing A Wedding Venue

September 2, 2015 | By | Comments (22)
Photo Courtesy of Tim Willoughby

Photo Courtesy of Tim Willoughby

Selecting a venue is one of the most important decisions a bride makes. Your venue – be it a rustic barn, an elegant plantation or a breezy beach – sets the wedding’s tone, style and budget. Be venue-savvy with tips from Lisa Thomas of Ooh! Weddings and Events, who offers her thoughts on the best questions a Southern bride should ask.

1. Be armed with information.
 “One of the most important things to understand before venue shopping is how the costs are calculated, and what is included in each fee. Be sure to ask if there are any rentals – chairs, tables, or tents – included. What part of the property will you have access to? Is there power, water, and parking available? While these may seem like simple questions, they can make all the difference.”

2. Verify vendor requirements.
“Find out if there are any vendor relationships you are required to uphold. For example, do you have to use their food and beverage service, and do they require a coordinator?  If so, find out which packages are required, and which rental companies or florists you’ll be working with. As the bride, it’s your obligation to get the specific details upfront, so you can then build an informed budget.”

3. Establish a timeline.
 “Determine when your vendors can set up, how long your event will last, and when you will need to leave the facility. Condensed timeframes and limiting conditions – think lack of elevator, flights of stairs, lack of kitchen, or lack of power – can all add to your budget.”

4. Make a back-up plan for rain.
 “If you are looking at outdoor venues, this step is a must. Before signing any contracts, ask about an indoor space or plan of action in case of inclement weather. Even if you’re choosing an indoor or covered venue, you need to evaluate how rain could affect and inconvenience arriving guests, and make a game plan.”

5. Talk about insurance.
“Insurance is something we never want to use, but making sure your vendors and location carry liability insurance is important. As the bride, you may want to take out a one day policy, so you can sleep knowing you have covered all the bases to ensure a great day.”

COMMENTS

1. Jack Mulligan

I like your tip to get as much information as possible about the venue and how they conduct their business. If you know how you’re paying, what they’ll be responsible for, and everything like that, you’ll have a much easier event. If you don’t pay attention you might miss something important!

August 5, 2016 at 1:31 pm
  2. Elkhorn Restaurant

Nice Blog. For more information and plan for Wedding Vanue Banquet Hall & Restaurant please click on this link.

July 16, 2016 at 5:22 am
  3. Charles Kemp

I think it would be nice to have a couple of venues picked out in case one of the venues is too expensive or can’t be booked. I also think that if you have an outdoor venue, that you need to make sure that you have a backup just in case. The outdoor venues are awesome because they aren’t confined to space which can be a good thing for a wedding.

July 15, 2016 at 1:04 pm
  4. martincrowe93

It is really a nice and informative blog and the content is really precise. I liked your views on it. I will subscribe to it. I am looking forward for more such kind of blogs as they are really mesmerizing. Thanks for such an interesting and wonderful blog.
    Wedding venue Wanaka

July 8, 2016 at 3:15 am
  5. Shweta Bakshi

Yes exactly! These are the tips which really should be kept in mind while choosing the wedding venues. As everyone have their different requirements to celebrate their wedding day. This would be great if the caterer service would also be provided by the venue provider. Bonus!

June 22, 2016 at 2:25 am
  6. Tara Allen

I would agree that the venue is a major decision for the wedding. That is smart to make a few considerations when choosing the location. I love your tip of making a backup plan for the rain. Rain could really be bad if you have an outdoor wedding. Thank you for this list. I will share it with my sister, who’s newly engaged.

June 17, 2016 at 10:09 am
  7. Faylinn

My fiance and I just picked our wedding date and are currently looking for a venue. Because we don’t really know what we are doing, I really appreciate your tip about being armed with information and so I will definitely make sure that I ask those questions when I visit different places. However, how can I know whether or not the fees are reasonable and, if they are not, how to negotiate them?

May 24, 2016 at 9:02 am
  8. Annie Frances

I just got engaged so I started looking at wedding venues. I never thought that different venues can come with different things, like tables and chairs. It’s good to know that I may have to pay extra for certain things at my event space. Thanks for the heads up.

May 16, 2016 at 4:29 pm
  9. Wedding Organisers in Hyderabad

Thank you so much for sharing best post. Really, great post

May 13, 2016 at 1:57 am
  10. Charles Kemp

I like the fact that you mention establishing a timeline. It would be smart to make sure that you can get everything set up on time in the place that you choose and that it is possible for everyone to get all setup. I love that you mention making a backup plan. The worst thing you can do is bank that it will be a sunny day.

April 27, 2016 at 11:50 am
  11. Tara

I’m using an outdoor venue, so having a plan for rain is vital! We’re going to rent out tents, just in case! If it doesn’t rain, then we have shade, if it does, we’re prepared! Thanks for all the great tips, picking a venue is hard!

April 20, 2016 at 2:00 pm
  12. emily bennette

Making a backup plan for rain for an outdoor wedding seems like a brilliant idea. Seeing if your reception hall will have enough outdoor and indoor space seems like that would solve that problem. That might be a good thing to put on your requirements for your venue.

April 14, 2016 at 10:56 pm
  13. John Carston

These tips look to be very helpful for someone planning a wedding and looking for a venue. Wedding planning can be really stressful but this advise will help alleviate stress by being informed, making a timeline, and having a back up plan for rain. Thanks for your wedding venue info.

April 8, 2016 at 9:36 am
  14. Simple Weddings

It’s very important to choose the suitable weeding venue for a amazing and successful wedding party. For choosing a suitable wedding venue your above 5 tips are really stunning. Thanks for sharing this valuable article.

March 20, 2016 at 4:37 am
  15. Hazel Adams

It is interesting for me to learn a little bit about how to choose a wedding venue. My cousin got married on a boat. I think that is a unique and fun idea for a wedding.

February 24, 2016 at 9:56 am
  16. Jason

My wife and I had that luck to stumble upon NYC Event Space in our search. We had a great wedding well organized.

December 15, 2015 at 12:37 pm
  17. Steve Jobs

A free Wedding photographers finding service, helping you locate the best venue for your important event in the UK. Have a look on some of featured venues.

December 15, 2015 at 12:47 am
  18. Samantha Dantley

My sister is getting married so this will really help her choose the right venue. I like your tip about making sure you have a back-up plan for inclement weather. Sometimes you just never know what can happen so it’s good to be prepared!

November 9, 2015 at 9:04 am
  19. Kathleen

Herbie,
    True.

September 4, 2015 at 8:56 am
  20. Herbie

Does this article indicate no one has church weddings anymore? Call me old fashioned, but Holy Matrimony hopefully includes a church and a preacher. Then again, what do I know.

September 3, 2015 at 1:45 pm
  21. Kathleen

Wedding venues are grand, but I think the much more important decision is to first discern what values a future spouse has: their beliefs about finances, children, lifestyle, faith, etc.
    I’ve been to too many weddings that were well planned for “venue” & catering but the marriage fell apart within months.

September 3, 2015 at 9:30 am
  22. Thomas

These are some good tips.The back-up plan in case of raining should be top priority. Actualy ALL of them are important considering it’s your wedding venue. Everybody wants a relaxing, stress-free event. Good tips!
    Thomas