Our autumn weddings are in full swing, and here at Southern Living, we’re loving the deep colors, beautiful backdrops, and charming Fall projects. We’ll be bringing you Southern wedding-related posts—DIY ideas, etiquette tips, real weddings and more.
This week, we’ve got an adorable wedding favor idea from the Craft Box Girls: DIY Potpourri. Created by Lynn Lilly – a lifelong DIY-er and creative mind behind the growing CBG lifestyle hub – these favors can be adjusted to fit your wedding’s theme and colors.
The Project: DIY Potpourri Wedding Favors
Timeline: 1 week prior to wedding
12 mini canning jars
3 cups of raspberries
2 cups of strawberries
2 bunches of hydrangea
Non-stick baking sheet
Lavender essential oil
Self stick labels (optional)
Washi Tape (optional)
Permanent marker (optional)
- Heat oven to 175 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Thinly slice the strawberries and oranges, but keep the raspberries whole. Cut small sections of hydrangeas, and remove the stems from the carnations.
- Place the fruit and flowers on non-stick pans with an inch between each piece. If you aren’t using a non-stick pan, make sure to spray them with a thin layer of non-stick cooking spray.
- Bake the fruit and flowers until they are completely dried. This will be around 1.5 hours for flowers, and 4 hours for fruit. Baking your ingredients at a low heat for a long period of time will properly dehydrate them and preserve their natural scent.
- Once all of the ingredients are dehydrated, place them in a large, air-tight container.
- Sprinkle the fruit and flowers with 15-20 drops of lavender essential oil. Seal the container’s lid and and shake gently. Keep the container sealed for 24 hours.
- Separate the potpourri into the mini canning jars. Before closing each container lid, add one drop of lavender essential oil. Add a personalized touch to your favors by decorating the top of the lids with labels and washi tape.
Pro Tip: Experiment with different combinations of essential oils to add variety to your potpourri. Adding a few drops of grapefruit essential oil to the lavender creates a fantastic scent combination.