4 Ways to Make the Most of Your Next Remodel

January 5, 2016 | By | Comments (20)

Each week, we’re bringing you top tips, favorite products, and Q&A’s with the designers in our Coastal Living and Southern Living Designer Network.

Paige_0367 (2)

Courtesy of Paige Sumblin Schnell

Planning to renovate? Rosemary Beach, FL designer Paige Sumblin Schnell of Tracery Interiors shares her top tips on how to make the most of your upcoming remodel.

Courtesy of Paige Sumblin Schnell

Courtesy of Paige Sumblin Schnell

Tip 1: I love a remodel project. There is just something about the transformation from the old to the new. When you start a remodel, think outside the box. I remember a remodel that I designed a few years back and we moved the uses of the rooms. We changed the dining room to a sitting room and a dining room to what was an oversized entry/foyer. It changed the house.

Courtesy of Paige Sumblin Schnell

Courtesy of Paige Sumblin Schnell

Tip 2: Paint is your friend during a remodel. Paint everything including the ceilings. If you have popcorn ceilings, have those removed before painting. Nothing dates a house like a popcorn ceiling.

Tip 3: Change the lighting. New lighting is very important in a remodel. Replacing an old ceiling fan with a chandelier in a bedroom is an easy change that will really give a room new life.

Courtesy of Paige Sumblin Schnell

Courtesy of Paige Sumblin Schnell

Tip 4: In a kitchen remodel, one of my favorite ways to update and open up a kitchen is to remove upper cabinets and replace with open shelves. A kitchen with a room full of upper cabinets always feels overwhelming to me. I like to mix it up with some open space and some open shelves.

COMMENTS

1. Lillian Schaeffer

This is some great information, and I appreciate your suggestion to paint everything while you’re remodeling. My husband and I just moved into a new house, and we’re going to be remodeling a fair amount of it. We’ll definitely take this opportunity to update the paint in all of the rooms we’ll be working on. Thanks for the great post!

November 8, 2016 at 11:40 am
  2. Feldco

Changing your lighting could be a huge difference maker in any room. Whether that’s brighter lights or larger windows, your room will look much better.

September 16, 2016 at 12:31 pm
  3. Gary

I definitely agree with you on the paint. It really can make a huge transformation at a low cost!

Gaz

September 14, 2016 at 10:41 am
  4. Ashley S. Ross

Thanks for the advice. These tips are too good if you are going for the remodeling process. There are a few good contractors like http://www.estatecabinetry.com, http//renotalk,com etc, who provides such good services.

August 6, 2016 at 5:16 am
  5. Kris S.

I couldn’t agree more with removing the popcorn ceilings. It is a nightmare to remove, but it must be done or you’ll be stuck in the 70’s!

Kris S.

July 28, 2016 at 12:59 pm
  6. Kris S.

July 28, 2016 at 12:58 pm
  7. Braden Bills

I’ve been trying to decide what I’m going to do for my kitchen remodel. I didn’t even think about painting everything, including the ceilings! It makes sense, since different colors can change the overall feel of the whole room. Thanks for sharing!

June 24, 2016 at 7:57 am
  8. Annie Frances

I never thought about painting my ceilings before, but I really like the idea. Before my home goes through the whole remodeling process, I want to have the design finalized. I think I’ll put open shelves in my kitchen like you suggest. Thanks!

June 23, 2016 at 12:32 pm
  9. Luke Yancey

Great idea on removing the popcorn ceiling! The planked ceiling like the one in your pictures immediately catches the eye. Also, I do agree that a new paint job also works wonders and should be taken seriously. I want to add that unless you excess money, a remodeled kitchen is a work in progress and may take some time. Don’t be afraid to revise your ideas in the meantime!

June 16, 2016 at 11:03 am
  10. Kendall Everett

I would have never considered removing upper cabinets to update a kitchen. In open floor plans, there may not be as much space for upper cabinets anyways. It makes it easy to use open shelving and countertops to display nicer dinnerware.

May 25, 2016 at 1:19 pm
  11. David Hawkins

That’s a really cool idea for a kitchen remodeling. I know that my kitchen is extremely cramped and I was looking for some ideas on how to make the most of my limited space. I’ll have to talk to some contractors and show them these pictures to see what they think of the idea. Thanks for the awesome examples and tips!

May 25, 2016 at 12:15 pm
  12. Justin Knox

Thanks for the help. My wife and I are in the process of planning out a couple of home renovation projects. I love the idea to change the lighting. Lighting effects the room so much. I will be sure to look for new fixtures.

May 20, 2016 at 9:23 am
  13. Sarah Smith

I’m planning on remodeling my kitchen and am looking for new ways to redecorate other than just painting. I love the idea of replacing cabinets with open shelves. Thanks for the great idea I’ll have to see about replacing my cabinets!

May 10, 2016 at 6:46 pm
  14. Faylinn

I am hoping to remodel my kitchen over the summer and so I really appreciate your tip about removing the upper cabinets. For some reason, I don’t think that I would have ever thought of replacing them with shelves. However, do you have any particular type of shelves that you would recommend using in a kitchen?

April 21, 2016 at 12:34 pm
  15. Laurie

When remodeling I recommend thinking about how you want to use the room, and the best flow. You don’t have to keep the room design exactly the way it is now, play with it a little. Great tips, thanks for sharing!

March 31, 2016 at 7:38 pm
  16. Dee Francis

I’m looking around my house trying to find ideas for where I should start first when remodeling my home, so these tips seem like projects that I should consider. You made a good point about how I should remove my popcorn ceiling. Updating it before painting my home seems like a good place to start so that I can paint my ceiling with the rest of my house. Thanks for posting these remodeling tips!

February 1, 2016 at 2:34 pm
  17. Stewart Boomer

Thanks for the reminder about painting everything. Sometimes when I’m doing a remodel, I forget that I have the freedom to paint pretty much whatever I want, and I don’t plan for it. I’ve been thinking about working on my kitchen, but I hadn’t thought about what I could do on the ceiling yet – and now I think painting it is going to work just fine. Thanks again for the post.

January 11, 2016 at 3:45 pm
  18. Sharon

Susan H. remove popcorn ceilings easily, spray lightly with water and it will scrape off easily.Put down plastic sheeting on entire floor beforehand and you will be able to just let it fall and then fold up and throw away.

January 5, 2016 at 4:27 pm
  19. Susan H.

How in the world to remove a popcorn ceiling? What were we thinking 22 years ago?

January 5, 2016 at 2:11 pm
  20. Monica Lavin, Lavin Label

Paint surely was my best friend when we just renovated our house! It’s also easy to switch out the back splash in a kitchen! Thanks for the tips! xx, Monica

January 5, 2016 at 1:32 pm