7 Things You Must Know About Stupid Squirrels

January 28, 2016 | By | Comments (26)
Squirrel

Photo: modernfarmer.com

Squirrels are the bane of human existence. Everyone accepts this. Yet many are unaware of crucial issues related to dealing with these insufferable fluff-rats that can hopefully one day lead to their total annihilation. Therefore, Grumpy answers seven critical questions that millions of squirrel-haters are asking today.

Question #1: Would eradicating squirrels from North America cause any environmental catastrophe?

Answer: I don’t know and I don’t care. I still think it’s a goal worth pursuing. We wiped out the dodo, passenger pigeon, and wooly mammoth and the world still turns. And none of them were remotely as annoying as squirrels. If we all stick together, we can do this.

Question #2: Why are there so many stupid squirrels anyway?

Answer: As with deer, many more squirrels exist today than when Columbus landed in the New World in 1492. The reason? Misguided, evil squirrel lovers provide these demons with everything they need to survive and thrive — food (bird feeders), water (birdbaths), and shelter (attics). Thus, if you want to find squirrels, a forest wilderness is the last place to look. Look in the burbs. Every other shade tree holds a squirrel nest. I’m currently searching the web for a flame thrower-wielding drone to address this problem. Maybe something like this.

Question #3: What real harm do stupid squirrels do?

Answer: They gobble all the seeds in your bird feeder. They rob plants of just-ripened apples, tomatoes, and other fruits and leave them partially gnawed on the ground to rot. They dig up your seedlings and eat your bulbs. They sneak into your attic, chew on your wires, and burn down your house. They also carry fleas, ticks, mites, parasites, and horrible diseases like rabies that can make you look like this poor girl.

Rabies victim

Pitiful victim of fatal squirrel disease. Photo: imgarcade.com

Question #4: What are some good ways to keep squirrels out of my attic?

Answer: Removing your attic always works, but then the house gets drafty. If you have gutters, install gutter guards. Squirrels often get into the attic by getting in the gutters and gnawing a hole in the fascia board of the soffit. Metal gutter guards prevent this. Spreading poison bait in the attic sounds like fun, but if a squirrel dies up there, it won’t be. Traps are another alternative. Sunflower seeds and peanut butter make excellent baits. After you catch the varmint, you can exercise extreme prejudice (RIP, Rocky) or take it away and let it go.

Squirrel Trap

Havahart squirrel trap. Photo: havahart.com

Question #5: Let it go? Won’t the dang thing just find its way back?

Answer: Not if you take it far enough. I put the trap and squirrel in the trunk of my car, drive 13 miles to work, and let it go. None has ever returned. Look at it this way. Any animal that’s going to zigzag 12 times in front of your car on a neighborhood street before you finally squash it ain’t gonna survive a gauntlet of busy interstates and bridges between it and your house.

Question #6: How can I keep squirrels off of my bird feeder?

Answer: There are lots of fancy squirrel-resistant feeders out there that make the critters fly off, fall off, slide off, or close the seed ports. Grumpy uses a tube feeder with short perches designed for little birds and hangs it from his crepe myrtle using a single wire. The feeder hangs at just the right height and distance that it can’t be plopped down on or jumped to. Another excellent strategy — fill your feeder with Cole Hot Meats, which are sunflower meats infused with Habanero oil. Birds don’t sense or react to the pepper at all. But when squirrels eat it, this is what happens.

Flaming squirrel

Medium-well, please! Photo: ludingtoncitizen.ning.com

Question #7: Wow, that squirrel looks tasty! Can we eat squirrels?

Answer: We sure can! Grumpy just finished reading a fascinating article published by Modern Farmer that points out that squirrel has been a traditional American meat for many years. In fact, “Up until 1975, The Joy of Cooking included an illustration and description of proper squirrel skinning within its pages.” Modern Farmer praises squirrels for being a local, non-GMO, hormone-free, lean, sustainable source of protein. “Limb chicken, as squirrels are affectionately known in many hunting circles, is arguably better than grass-fed beef or organic pork when it comes to planetary health,” it states.

I agree! Try this tasty recipe for Bacon Wrapped Squirrel found by my Southern Living protege, Kaylee Hammonds. Mmmmmmmm. Bacon!

What to drink with cooked squirrel? I propose a good Rioja, Syrah, or Zinfandel. If you’re not a wine drinker, our man-about-town, Keith Stone, suggests this outstanding beverage.

Keystone Light

Keith Stone. Photo: Keystone

Keystone Light. So smooth, always.

COMMENTS

1. kath arnett

Texas sized tree rats are fed by the neighbor’s dog food, tossed bread and bird seed. These squirrels carry infants off sunning blankets. The tree rats sit on the fence and fart at our cat.

February 21, 2016 at 2:38 pm
  2. Beth

Sprinkling blood meal on your outdoor pots seems to keep them away until a heavy rain and is good for the plants too

February 19, 2016 at 4:43 pm
  3. Josephine Harris

I have also raised abandoned baby squirrels, but after EVERY SINGLE PEAR ON MY 3 TREES DISAPPEARED, I felt differently towards them. I like the relocation solution.

February 15, 2016 at 8:41 am
  4. Carol Walker

Why do the little !$#%{€~]+¥s eat paint? The hateful twits are gnawing away at our front porch posts and railing, even after painting them (the posts, not the squirrels) with habanero hot sauce. The bushy tailed rats ate nearly every potted plant on our deck last summer and appear to be particularly fond of moss rose. Grrrr!

February 8, 2016 at 12:53 pm
  5. Chris

They don’t carry. But they do deliver.

February 7, 2016 at 9:53 am
  6. Garry Lynn

I tried many things to keep the squirrels out of my birdfeeder but I finally found the one thing that has been working for me for 10 years or so. If you make the base of your feeder with 4″ PVC pipe the squirrels can no longer climb it. Any smaller pipe will not work and the 4 ” does not stop raccoons, but it will stop squirrel. If you try this make sure there are no close limbs that they can jump from to gain access to the feeder.

February 4, 2016 at 8:44 am
  7. Richard

If you have ever had them eat through wiring in attic or spark plug wires of your car than you would understand why many of us are not fond of squirrels. They are nothing but rats with good PR.

January 30, 2016 at 6:55 pm
  8. Diane Morrow

Large rocks around your plants keep the squirrels from eating roots. We love our squirrels and woukd never think of harming them. Put Crisco on your feeder pole and the squirrels can’t climb up the pole. we live and let live in our yard in South Texas; except for snakes.

January 29, 2016 at 6:32 pm
  9. Brynn

We have super-squirrels here. Not only do they eat safflower with wild abandon, they also will empty a feeder of hot pepper coated seeds faster than anything you’ve ever seen!
    We only have a few though we back up to the woods, so either they’re running any others off, or the hawks are keeping them under control. Or they’re truly little furry urbanites, like you said!

January 29, 2016 at 10:58 am
  10. Kathleen

Jane,
    Squirrels are incredibly cute. I leave the ones in the woods alone but allow other folks to hunt & I’m not going to turn down a dressed out squirrel or two in return.
    I like rodents & even catch & release mice that stray into my home.
    But you can have too many squirrels in some areas & they can cause huge-even dangerous-damage to gardens & structures. So there has to be a balance.

January 29, 2016 at 9:06 am
  11. Paula K

After we fixed the hole in the house, we set a live trap and caught 17 in 4 days. Seemed as though there was no end to them. And they ate wiring in the car. Purchased a battery powered sonic device for under the hood and it helped. It’s war.

January 29, 2016 at 8:59 am
  12. Kathy.

I hoped to learn ways deter them from digging up my plants. On a serious note, you could use safflower seeds in the bird feeders and you will only be feeding the birds.. Squirrels don’t eat the seeds.

January 29, 2016 at 5:14 am
  13. Avery Robert

Go Grumpy! Is comedy dead? For those who feel the need to proselytize animal rights in public over a humor column, there’s a political convention nearby for you. As for squirrels, I dedicate to over-care: wrap peanut butter in cheese and dip in butter until the little nippers keel off the branch from a coronary.

January 28, 2016 at 9:19 pm
  14. Jane

Sorry, Grumpy, I can’t agree with you here. We have learned to love squirrels, having rescued five or so, and brought them to maturity. They are smart and fun–after we have liberated them to the forest, how can we be mean to them again? Lively, funny creatures, really.

January 28, 2016 at 8:43 pm
  15. Arnold nelson

Squirrel mulligan. With gravy and biscuits. In a hungry world the best remedy to tree rats is a good recipe.

January 28, 2016 at 7:29 pm
  16. Doreen

The little jerks ate all the corn out of my garden one year. And my less than intelligent neighbor names and feeds the stupid things. I can’t win.

January 28, 2016 at 6:53 pm
  17. Mina Kelly

This article (?) is full of incorrect information (rabies is not carried by squirrels) and sick humor…if that’s what you consider humor…animal cruelty is not funny in any way and I’m
    surprised a publication like this would allow it… Southern Living…what happened to you?

January 28, 2016 at 6:18 pm
  18. Mahetabel

Big fan of grumpy gardener -however, squirrels are living beings and do what squirrels do – burning squirrels not funny..

January 28, 2016 at 6:06 pm
  19. Julie Boy

If we get rid of the squirrels, the hawks are going to go after my cats. The cats and dogs love them, too.

January 28, 2016 at 5:01 pm
  20. Kitty Greene

My dogs love stupid squirrels. They think they are quite delicious

January 28, 2016 at 2:17 pm
  21. Kathleen

My personal solution is serving them up with biscuits & gravy. Dumplings work well, too.

January 28, 2016 at 2:12 pm
  22. Tracy Maxwell

This just might be one of your best every. I live in Southeast Texas and we battle squirrels in every way!

January 28, 2016 at 12:37 pm
  23. grant

Squirrels do not carry Rabies

January 28, 2016 at 11:39 am
  24. Carolyn Choi

I’ve got a new squirrel deterrent that really works -an energetic hard working Australian Shepherd who spends a lot of time chasing them away.

January 28, 2016 at 10:50 am
  25. Tess

One summer we relocated 28 tree rodents and you wouldn’t even have known it. There are just way too many!

January 28, 2016 at 10:38 am
  26. Dorothy Sadler Hemphill

And because squirrels really aren’t dumb is why you’re having this problem. 🙂

January 28, 2016 at 10:21 am