Enter to Win “Forsaken,” a New Novel by Ross Howell, Jr.

February 22, 2016 | By | Comments (9)

Forsaken_comp7

If you live for charged, exciting fiction, then Ross Howell, Jr.’s new novel Forsaken is the perfect companion for these last few winter evenings. Released to rave reviews–it was named one of the SIBA’s Okra picks for 2016–the novel follows a 1912 murder trial that takes place in Hampton, Virginia.

Set in a crucial moment in American history, the book takes on everything from racial politics to the sinking of the Titanic as seen through the eyes of a young reporter named Charles Mears. Labeled “honest and riveting” by Booklist and “important” by the Kirkus Review, it’s a solid entry into the Southern cannon.

Tell us about the best book you read last year in a comment below, and you’ll be entered to win. For official rules, click here

COMMENTS

1. Joan

Secret Being an older woman, I am rereading books I loved in my youth. Secret Garden,
    Rebecca, and Jane Eyre. Love the old english novels.

February 27, 2016 at 10:41 pm
  2. Lynn Welch

DEAD WAKE: THE LAST CROSSING OF THE LUSITANIA by Erik Larson is the best book I read in 2015. Although I knew the conclusion before I began reading the book (Even if you’re not a history buff, the title itself deserves a spoiler alert.), I did not want to put the book down–I skipped meals and refused sleep. Larson brought to life those ordinary people who were caught up in extraordinary events and made me an eyewitness to history.

February 24, 2016 at 8:15 pm
  3. Julie L

The Boys in the Boat, the story of the US crew team that won the gold medal in the 1936 Olympics in Berlin. I love inspirational stories where people make sacrifices, overcome obstacles and accomplish their goals! Before reading this book I knew absolutely nothing about crew and I loved learning more about the technique and strategy required for this demanding sport. I’m excited to watch the USA crew team row in Rio this summer!

February 24, 2016 at 1:01 pm
  4. karen s

All The Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr. It is an emotional page turner that is difficult to put down. It is set in occupied France and the characters are utterly compelling. It’s a story about family, love, and over coming obstacles.

February 23, 2016 at 11:15 pm
  5. Chris Kerr

City on Fire by Garth Hallberg, a scarily brilliant portrait of NYC in the Seventies and the disintegration of a family and its fortune framed by the Great Blackout. It’s a big, fat read which rewards any and all attention. Worse, this young author wasn’t even born when this novel takes place.

February 23, 2016 at 5:16 pm
  6. Kathleen

The Richest Woman in America: Hetty Green in the Gilded Age
    by Janet Wallach
    It was really a fascinating read & dispels many of the myths that have grown up .Much of her bad press was generated because she was a very successful investor in a male dominated industry.

February 23, 2016 at 1:29 pm
  7. Kim G

I read for the second time The Twelve, the book 2 in the Trilogy series by Justin Cronin. The first was The Passage. Such a fantastic post-apocalyptic story! The final book comes out in May and I cannot wait!!

February 22, 2016 at 8:11 pm
  8. Linda Haley

Well, I re-read TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD for the 6th time, so it is pretty hard for anything else to compete. So many enduring messages. “Until I feared I would lose it, I never loved to read. One does not love breathing.” – Scout

February 22, 2016 at 5:12 pm
  9. clmdukes

Hands down, The Nightingale.

February 22, 2016 at 5:08 pm