Miracle Cure For Chigger Bites!

June 8, 2016 | By | Comments (14)

blue listerine

Grumpy’s readers have confirmed it! Well, at least two of them have! When chigger bites torture you, stop the itch immediately by wetting them with blue Listerine! And all you thought it was good for was gingivitis and bad breath!

The truth was first revealed to me by Sue Ellis of North Carolina, who commented on a blog post, “I am so allergic to chiggers (and NEVER have seen one) that the top layer of my epidermis seems to ‘dissolve’ around a bite. The best thing for removing that appalling itch is….BLUE LISTERINE. BLUE LISTERINE. BLUE LISTERINE.”

What was the cure again? Oh yeah. BLUE LISTERINE.

Last week, Shirley Smith corroborated Sue’s testimony. She commented, “I just bought the blue Listerine and have slathered it all over my chigger bites : BLESSED RELIEF. THANKS TO ALL OF YOU WHO RECOMMENDED IT. I am in LOVE with blue Listerine as of this past half hour.”

This begs the following questions: What is it about blue Listerine? Will green Listerine work? What about yellow or orange or purple? Does it make a difference whether the Listerine is Advanced, Ultraclean, Total Control, Freshburst, or Cool Mint? Is the cheap store brand just as good? I want to see some university studies now. This is too important to wait on.

My friends, it is only because I care so deeply about the quality of your outdoors experiences that I pass this exciting news onto you. Stop painting chigger bites with clear nail polish like my mother told me to do. The answer is BLUE LISTERINE!

COMMENTS

1. chigger bites treatment

Thanks for sharing such a good tips, You made a goos site and gives us useful articles they very help us I am excited about your site and suggestions they amazing

November 19, 2016 at 1:32 am
  2. JJ

The best thing for chigger bites is actually head lice spray it kills them usually in one treatment. They are gone so is the itch.

July 31, 2016 at 4:18 pm
  3. Terri Schmidt

“First, forget the old myth of applying fingernail polish to the affected areas. Chiggers do NOT burrow into the skin, so trying to suffocate the mites with polish makes no sense at all. Second, chiggers do not lay eggs in the skin, so stop worrying about that.” http://www.boyslife.org

July 30, 2016 at 5:48 pm
  4. Susan Fitch

Thanks Grumpy! Love Southern Living AND your column!!!

June 14, 2016 at 5:27 pm
  5. Cami

I find if you take a sponge with scrubby side and soap you can stop chiggers from burrowing into skin.they can live 3 weeks there

June 14, 2016 at 1:42 pm
  6. DARREL JORGENSEN

I have used Desitin after I found some leftover in a drawer.

June 14, 2016 at 11:28 am
  7. Janet

I can’t wait to try this

June 14, 2016 at 11:18 am
  8. Gaali Stone

Nail polish actually makes it worse. I find that a dab of anbesol works also. I’ll have to try the listerine, though. Chiggers are a daily problem here during the summer.

June 10, 2016 at 12:17 am
  9. Marcia

Headed out the door to go buy some right now!

June 9, 2016 at 10:49 am
  10. Beth

My Nonnie (grandmother) always carries Listerine in her purse when she goes to the ball fields in the summer time. Anyone who gets chiggers or a mosquito bite at the ballgames are sure to get relief from her! Yes, it works for mosquito bites too!

June 9, 2016 at 10:15 am
  11. Brynn

It’s likely the thymol and the alcohol. As long as your Listerine or whatnot has those in it, it should work.

The last time I got chiggers, it was pretty bad; two large “belts” around each ankle. Ended up in a clinic (it didn’t hurt, surprisingly, but it looked terrible), and left with some flexible gel packs that go in the freezer and a jar of… stuff. I don’t remember what it was exactly, some sort of vitamin E/wheat germ/stickier than honey stuff, but it really did the trick! I slathered it on twice a day, and wrapped the gel packs around for about thirty minutes every few hours. Swelling went down quickly due to the cold gel packs, and my ankles healed up within two weeks due to the sticky stuff. No scars or anything.

June 9, 2016 at 6:56 am
  12. Michael Neely

We use green alcohol

June 8, 2016 at 9:48 pm
  13. Deborah West

I just listened to podcast, “Stuff you should know” this week about Chiggers. Excellent explanation about this stage of mite. The use of Listerine was never used in the podcast.

June 8, 2016 at 8:52 pm
  14. Kathleen

No kidding? I truly hope this is for real, not just humorous?
    Chiggers are a nightmare, so thank you for this-I think.

June 8, 2016 at 4:16 pm