Here at Southern Living, we love a good DIY. Based in Atlanta, Georgia, the Craft Box Girls – led by craft guru and author Lynn Lilly – are creating fun, easy-to-make projects to spice up your entertaining, wedding planning, or holiday gifting. Check back every other Thursday for some DIY inspiration.
Summer is almost over and college students are packing their bags and headed back to campus. This season I have been crafting back to school gifts for all ages, and realized that sometimes college kids are the hardest gift recipients. Craft Box Girls was recently gifted a Keurig® K250 Brewer (we clearly drink way too much coffee) and I was sipping on a cup of coffee when a lightbulb came on! I was holding and looking at what could be the perfect gift with just an added touch of DIY magic. Check out my creative do-it-yourself coffee-inspired gift below with all the essentials to make college kids sing your praises.
The Project: DIY Watercolor Coffee Mug
- Plain Coffee Mug
- Nail Polish
- Disposable Tupperware (it will get stained)
- Toothpick or Wooden Skewer
- Parchment Paper
- Fill disposable tupperware with cool water.
- Pour a small amount of nail polish on top of the water slowly.
- Use the toothpick to shift the nail polish and create a design. Do this quickly because the nail polish dries fast.
- Dip the mug into the water and lift straight up. Do not let nail polish get on the rim of the mug or inside the mug.
- Place mug on the parchment paper for 1 hour to dry.
- No need to cure – they are ready to use! If you want to put them in the dishwasher, simply apply a coat of Mod Podge Dishwasher Safe Gloss.
Pro Tip: Gift these beautiful creations with a slim and sleek Keurig® K250 Brewer (which has nine fun colors to choose from!) and package the mugs in a cute gift basket with a box of delicious Green Mountain Coffee® K-Cup® pods.