Crepe Myrtle Pruning Step-by-Step

February 24, 2009 | By | Comments (673)

What concerns people most in the country right now? Losing their jobs? Losing their retirements? Nope. It’s how to properly prune their crepe myrtles Here’s a step-by-step guide showing how the Grumps prunes his.

Loppers_1_2

Why do you need my advice? Because a lot of you take guidance from your ignorant neighbors neighbors, who prune their crepe myrtles to look like this.

January_2008_018_4

This is what I call “crepe murder.” I didn’t invent the term. I think it was coined by Byers Nursery, a big wholesale grower of crepe myrtles in Huntsville, Alabama. I just did what we Americans have always done so well — pass off other’s good ideas as your own.

Crepe murder is bad for several reasons.

1. It turns beautiful trees into ugly stumps.

2. It prevents the formation of pretty, mottled bark on maturing trunks.

3. A forest of skinny, whip-like shoots sprouts from the end of each ugly stump. These whips are too weak to hold up the flowers, so the branches often bend to the ground, like a drunk who’s about to lose his lunch.

Another reason people butcher crepe myrtles is because they say their plants get too big. All that this means is that these cretins chose the wrong plant for the wrong spot. Most popular crepe myrtle varieties (‘Natchez,’ ‘Miami,’ ‘Sioux,’ ‘Dynamite,’ Muskogee,’ ‘Watermelon Red’) grow at least 25-30 feet tall. So plant them out in the yard — not in front of your bay windows. Or go for compact, lower-growing kinds, like ‘Acoma,’ ‘Centennial,’ ‘Hopi,’ ‘Prairie Lace,’ ‘Victor,’ ‘Zuni,’ of the Petite Series from Monrovia.

Cm_before_2

The crepe myrtle you see above is deep-pink ‘Miami.’ I planted it in my front yard from a 3-gallon pot 15 years ago. I never pruned it much, because I strung it with tiny Xmas lights that I never took down. Leaving them on the tree reduced my Xmas decorating each year to 10 seconds. All I had to do was plug in the lights before Xmas and unplug them after. You could learn from this.

However, not being able to prune without cutting the light cords meant my crepe myrtle grew too dense and spread too wide. So last week, I took off the lights. Then, aided by my lovely unseen wife who agreed to take pictures, I finally pruned it to show you how it’s done and how a mature crepe myrtle is supposed to look. Murderers, take note!

Here is the crepe myrtle before I started. It doesn’t look too bad, but needs thinning. The tool leaning up against it is my trusty pole pruner. I like it because you can extend the pole to cut branches more than 15 feet from the ground.

Crepe Myrtle — Your Questions Answered

Objectives

Before you prune anything, it’s a good idea to know what you’re trying to accomplish. After all, you can always go back and cut more. You can’t go back and cut less. My objective was to maintain well-spaced, main trunks with handsome bark and to thin out out the center to permit easy penetration of sunlight and air. I always say if a bird can easily fly through the center of your crepe myrtle, the branches are spaced about right. If a bird can easily fly through the center of your house, you’re probably missing some windows.

Pruning Tools

To properly prune a mature crepe myrtle, you need 3 tools.

1. Hand pruners to clip twigs and branches less than 1/2-inch thick.

2. Loppers to cut branches 1/2-inch to 1-1/2 inches thick

3. Pole pruners or a pruning saw to cut branches more than 1-1/2 inches thick.

When to Cut
Late winter (right now) is the best time to prune a crepe myrtle, because it’s leafless and you can easily see all of the branches. It also blooms on new growth, so pruning now won’t reduce blooming. In fact, it may increase it.

What to Cut

Remove branches in the following order.

1. Suckers coming up from the base.

2. All side branches growing from the main trunks up to a height of at least 4 feet.

3. All higher branches growing inward towards the center of the tree.

4. All crossing, rubbing, and dead branches.

5. Branches growing at awkward angles that detract from the tree’s appearance.

Always cut back to a larger branch of the trunk. Don’t leave stubs. Removing seedheads on the end of branches is optional. Leaving them doesn’t reduce blooming. I leave mine.

Pole_pruners_2

The Finished Product
Below is the result of this year’s pruning. Isn’t it purty? The crepe myrtle is still a little denser than I would like, but I can prune it again next winter. Every year, the job gets easier.

Cm_after_2

More Crepe Myrtle Stuff

If your appetite for all things crepe myrtle still isn’t sated, you can read more brilliant commentary from the Grump about crepe myrtle care.

COMMENTS

1. Pruning Crape Myrtles

[…] For the full article visit: Crepe Myrtle Pruning Step by Step. […]

April 24, 2015 at 9:00 am

Francine, Jenny, Grace,

See my recent blog post: http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com/2015/04/09/how-to-fix-crepe-murder/

April 24, 2015 at 8:57 am
  3. Grace Recio

mY NEIGHBOR COMPLETELY TOPPED FOUR CREPE MYRTLES ALONG MY FENCE, iS THAT MURDER, THEY Have always bloomed so pretty. Will they come back to life?

April 15, 2015 at 4:46 pm

Faithful readers,

Everybody who went ahead and butchered their crepes and now feel very guilty about it (as you should) and want to know if their crime can be fixed, read Grumpy’s recent post, “How To Fix Crepe Murder.”

April 13, 2015 at 7:51 am

Mike,

No problem. Go ahead and prune now.

April 13, 2015 at 7:50 am

Donna,

The green stuff is called lichen. It is harmless.

April 13, 2015 at 7:49 am

Patti,

Train the suckers to be the new trunks. Select 4-5 well-spaced ones that are growing up and out and remove the rest. Crepe myrtles grow back fast.

April 13, 2015 at 7:48 am

Sharon,

Your crepe myrtle should be fine. Be patient.

April 13, 2015 at 7:45 am

Everybody who went ahead and butchered their crepes and now feel very guilty about it (as they should) and want to know if their crime can be fixed, read Grumpy’s recent post, “How To Fix Crepe Murder.”

April 13, 2015 at 7:43 am
  10. Patti Pettitt

I live in Southern California with Santa Ana winds. My crepe myrtle’s main trunk ( lots of suckers we’ve been cutting off for 15 years) blew down this year. Will the suckers grow into a tree or are we better off starting with a new tree.

April 10, 2015 at 1:12 am
  11. Patti Pettitt

I live in Southern California with Santa Ana winds. My crepe myrtle’s main trunk ( lots of suckers we’ve been cutting off for 15 years). Will the suckers grow into a tree or are we better off starting with a new tree.

April 10, 2015 at 1:08 am
  12. armando huizar

I was researching how to prune crape myrtes trees and came across your fine site. Thank you for so much information on this subject.

April 9, 2015 at 6:54 pm
  13. Donna Henry

My crepe myrtle has a green velvet like substance on the trunk could you tell me if this is a fungus or what . The tree is still young i bought it 2 years ago. Thanks Donna

April 6, 2015 at 11:05 am
  14. Donna Henry

My crepe myrtle has a green velvet like substans on the trunk could you tell me if this is a fungus or what . Thanks Donna

April 6, 2015 at 10:59 am
  15. Mike

I procrastinated a little to much this year and waited too long to prune my crepe myrtle. It started sprouting leaves this weekend. I prune it every year and I don’t murder it. Should I wait until next year or can proceed with pruning it to promote new shoots and blooming.

April 5, 2015 at 5:07 pm
  16. sharon

Planted trees before the first frost. They look dead. Did I kill them?

April 5, 2015 at 4:48 pm

Francine & Jenny,

To restore a murdered crepe takes several years. Lots of shoots will sprout from the ends of each thick stub. Pick two that are growing up and out. Save these and remove all others. They will become the new main trunks. Over the next three years, don’t allow any shoots to grow from the stubs but these. Eventually, your tree will look normal.

April 5, 2015 at 9:29 am

Jenny,
    You don’t have to wait. Prune this year according to the directions above, training the main branches to grow up and out. Remove crossing and crowded branches and those growing inwards towards the center.

April 5, 2015 at 9:25 am
  19. Julia Hooper

Thank you for this extremely informative article. My husband was itching to “chop” our crape myrtle which has grown taller outside our den window. To prevent the “murder” I now have instructions on HOW TO DO the pruning 100% accurately and have pictures included—end of potential argument and crape myrtle saved. I also appreciate knowing the correct spelling of crape myrtle too. Thanks for being a “problem solver”. J. Hooper

April 4, 2015 at 7:03 am

Francine & Jenny,

To restore a murdered crepe take several years. At the end of each stub, lots of shoots will grow. Select one or two that are growing up and out, save these, and cut off the rest. These will become the new main limbs. Don’t let any more shoots grow from the stubs but these saved ones for the next three years. Eventually, your plant will look normal again.

April 4, 2015 at 5:47 am
  21. Tee Jay

So, my house came with crape myrtles previously “murdered” for years. It has not been pruned yet this year. What do you suggest? Wait till next year and start following outline above?

April 3, 2015 at 5:01 pm
  22. Sue Thom

Hi, Steve. I really enjoyed this post and printed it out so I can consult it when I prune my crape myrtle in my back yard. I want to point out that the correct spelling is CRAPE (not crepe). Don’t feel bad; almost nobody knows this! But I thought you’d want to know. And thank you (and I’m sorry you had to see them) for the “crape murder” photos you’ve posted! I hope all your readers learn from these atrocities!

March 31, 2015 at 5:33 am
  23. Thomas Scalf

Thanks for the advice, our trees look a lot better and they seem happier.

March 30, 2015 at 8:56 am