Crepe Myrtle Pruning Step-by-Step

February 24, 2009 | By | Comments (572)

What concerns people most in the country right now? Losing their jobs? Losing their retirements? Nope. It’s how to properly prune their crepe myrtles Here’s a step-by-step guide showing how the Grumps prunes his.

Loppers_1_2

Why do you need my advice? Because a lot of you take guidance from your ignorant neighbors neighbors, who prune their crepe myrtles to look like this.

January_2008_018_4

This is what I call “crepe murder.” I didn’t invent the term. I think it was coined by Byers Nursery, a big wholesale grower of crepe myrtles in Huntsville, Alabama. I just did what we Americans have always done so well — pass off other’s good ideas as your own.

Crepe murder is bad for several reasons.

1. It turns beautiful trees into ugly stumps.

2. It prevents the formation of pretty, mottled bark on maturing trunks.

3. A forest of skinny, whip-like shoots sprouts from the end of each ugly stump. These whips are too weak to hold up the flowers, so the branches often bend to the ground, like a drunk who’s about to lose his lunch.

Another reason people butcher crepe myrtles is because they say their plants get too big. All that this means is that these cretins chose the wrong plant for the wrong spot. Most popular crepe myrtle varieties (‘Natchez,’ ‘Miami,’ ‘Sioux,’ ‘Dynamite,’ Muskogee,’ ‘Watermelon Red’) grow at least 25-30 feet tall. So plant them out in the yard — not in front of your bay windows. Or go for compact, lower-growing kinds, like ‘Acoma,’ ‘Centennial,’ ‘Hopi,’ ‘Prairie Lace,’ ‘Victor,’ ‘Zuni,’ of the Petite Series from Monrovia.

Cm_before_2

The crepe myrtle you see above is deep-pink ‘Miami.’ I planted it in my front yard from a 3-gallon pot 15 years ago. I never pruned it much, because I strung it with tiny Xmas lights that I never took down. Leaving them on the tree reduced my Xmas decorating each year to 10 seconds. All I had to do was plug in the lights before Xmas and unplug them after. You could learn from this.

However, not being able to prune without cutting the light cords meant my crepe myrtle grew too dense and spread too wide. So last week, I took off the lights. Then, aided by my lovely unseen wife who agreed to take pictures, I finally pruned it to show you how it’s done and how a mature crepe myrtle is supposed to look. Murderers, take note!

Here is the crepe myrtle before I started. It doesn’t look too bad, but needs thinning. The tool leaning up against it is my trusty pole pruner. I like it because you can extend the pole to cut branches more than 15 feet from the ground.

Crepe Myrtle — Your Questions Answered

Objectives

Before you prune anything, it’s a good idea to know what you’re trying to accomplish. After all, you can always go back and cut more. You can’t go back and cut less. My objective was to maintain well-spaced, main trunks with handsome bark and to thin out out the center to permit easy penetration of sunlight and air. I always say if a bird can easily fly through the center of your crepe myrtle, the branches are spaced about right. If a bird can easily fly through the center of your house, you’re probably missing some windows.

Pruning Tools

To properly prune a mature crepe myrtle, you need 3 tools.

1. Hand pruners to clip twigs and branches less than 1/2-inch thick.

2. Loppers to cut branches 1/2-inch to 1-1/2 inches thick

3. Pole pruners or a pruning saw to cut branches more than 1-1/2 inches thick.

When to Cut
Late winter (right now) is the best time to prune a crepe myrtle, because it’s leafless and you can easily see all of the branches. It also blooms on new growth, so pruning now won’t reduce blooming. In fact, it may increase it.

What to Cut

Remove branches in the following order.

1. Suckers coming up from the base.

2. All side branches growing from the main trunks up to a height of at least 4 feet.

3. All higher branches growing inward towards the center of the tree.

4. All crossing, rubbing, and dead branches.

5. Branches growing at awkward angles that detract from the tree’s appearance.

Always cut back to a larger branch of the trunk. Don’t leave stubs. Removing seedheads on the end of branches is optional. Leaving them doesn’t reduce blooming. I leave mine.

Pole_pruners_2

The Finished Product
Below is the result of this year’s pruning. Isn’t it purty? The crepe myrtle is still a little denser than I would like, but I can prune it again next winter. Every year, the job gets easier.

Cm_after_2

More Crepe Myrtle Stuff

If your appetite for all things crepe myrtle still isn’t sated, you can read more brilliant commentary from the Grump about crepe myrtle care.

COMMENTS

1. Barbra Joan

My Crepe Myrtle. I didn’t know anything about how to prune or not… I just knew I wasn’t going to murder it , like I’ve seen around town . I live in Plant City, Florida.
    I’m already cutting some of the cross branches, suckers are gone and it’s now about 10 ft. high. It looks very much like yours .. but I’ve seen them with just one trunk and would like to get one of those… Love my Crepe Myrtle. Thanks for all your info and your humor too. !

July 27, 2014 at 7:32 am
  2. DogDad

To Brian, Are you kidding me? You say it is politically incorrect to post about how to prune crape myrtles since we need to be more sensitive to the unemployed. I have two thoughts. First, the unemployed shouldn’t be reading about their crape myrtles at 11 AM. They should be working on getting a new job. Second, I doubt seriously that anyone who is reading the comments consider this their top priority. If you are unemployed, then why in the heck are you wasting your time reading about crape myrtles. I know back in the day when I was in charge of hiring candidates, I could weed out whiners like you in a flash. Grow some thicker skin.
    To Steve, Keep up all off your great work. It is definitely appreciated.

July 23, 2014 at 7:33 pm
  3. Outdoor Mama

We inherited some overgrown crepe myrtles when we moved into our house a couple years ago. Last summer, two trunks on one myrtle in full bloom cracked at the base when we got a good rain. Of course I removed those broken ones but I didn’t want it to happen to the rest of the trunks so I got up on my ladder with loppers and chopped off the tops of the trunks as high up as I could reach this past spring. It’s a common hot pink variety and I’m wondering if this particular tree was just weak, as it seems a bit sturdier this year with shorter branches, and nothing cracking from the weight of the blooms. I’m not sure if I can do anything to correct its form, maybe I should chop all the trunks to the ground next spring and hope for suckers? Or just dig it up? all the trunks are about 2.5 to 3″ diameter, but last summer the branch tops were reaching past my second story window, so disproportionate height to thickness I guess.

July 23, 2014 at 2:17 pm
  4. Michael Garguilo

I live in Lancaster SC. lately we have had a great deal of rain. The Crepe on the front lawn is dense, with a an enormous amount of blooms. The branches drooped due to the rain, now I’ve noticed that the leaves are starting to fall and the leaves have a black fungus on them, the back of the leaf has small white insects on it, looks like small eggs, some of the leaves are being eaten away, they have small holes. Is there anything I can do to save this tree??

July 23, 2014 at 7:41 am
  5. brian

Just a tad insensitive that with so many needing a job that the biggest thing on everyones mind is how to correctly prune. Perhaps a different choice of words would have been good

July 19, 2014 at 10:56 am

Ignacio,
    Pruning or lack of it is not the problem. Make sure your crepe myrtle gets plenty of sun. It blooms best in full sun. It also likes hot weather, so maybe it’ll need a few more weeks.

July 17, 2014 at 3:33 pm

CJ,

There is still a chance.

July 17, 2014 at 3:29 pm

Aggie,
    You can leave the original trunk there as support or cut it off now. It’s your choice. As for the suckers, select 4-5 well-spaced ones growing up and out to become the new trunks. Cut off the others at the ground.

July 17, 2014 at 3:28 pm
  9. Aggie Scott

I planted 3 single trunk Tuscarora crepe myrtles in December. They were about 7 ft. tall. They did not survive the frost, but are sprouting vigorously from the roots. I have selected the best stem and have been cutting all the other suckers off as they come out of the ground. My new single-stem trees are between 3 1/2 – 4 1/2 ft. tall and are throwing out new branches half-way up the stem. Should I cut off all of them or at what height should I stop and let them branch out?

My next question is what to do with the dead stem of the original tree? I have been using it at a stake for the new tree that is coming up. Do I need to cut it off at the ground?

July 15, 2014 at 11:15 am
  10. cjbeal

Thanks for the advice, Steve. i did as you directed. It’s doing pretty good! No flowers though…. Think I’ll see any this year? cj beal

July 14, 2014 at 12:45 pm
  11. Ignacio Salas

My Crepe Myrtle Is about 11 ft tall. I bought it 3yrs ago. It only flowered the 1st year. The instructions were not to prune it the 1st year. The leaves are burgundy like, shiny and in good health but no flowers. Thhe branches aren’t crowded. I live in San Jose Ca and this time of year, July its usually in the 80′s. What can I do today to get it flowering

July 14, 2014 at 10:18 am
  12. Kathy

Amen Brother! EVERY year I have an ongoing battle with my father about trimming (he murders them) my crepe myrtles. Hands off. I have triimed mine for the past 10 years as you have shown and I am very happy with how beautiful they are. I have Natchez as a living break between myself and a neighbor with a purple dwarf variety filling in the spaces between the Natchez. The blooms have been profuse so far this summer and the sweet smell is invigorating. LOVE my myrtles. 07/12/2014

July 12, 2014 at 10:11 pm

LJ,

Go ahead and prune.

July 10, 2014 at 11:34 am
  14. Debbie

My crepe mytle was murdered, the trunk split and died back what new growth there is, is short and thick around the stump. Is there any hope at all that it can grow a new trunk?
    Its been this way for at least a year.

July 5, 2014 at 4:23 pm
  15. Shirley

I Love my beautiful Crepe Myrtles….They R Deep purple and full of enormous blooms..They line the front entrance from our driveway into our yard. I have even used them in wedding along with my deep purple Hydrangeas. Everyone Awes at them….I followed Southern Livings Directions from my Mothers SL magazine many years ago.
    Thanks Southern Living for being A Family Tradition.

July 5, 2014 at 5:50 am
  16. Jan Graham

We planted Crape Myrtles three years ago and they still haven’t bloomed – they look healthy and the green foliage grows like crazy – they just don’t bloom – what are we doing wrong -

July 3, 2014 at 2:45 pm
  17. karen

thanks for the information. love crepe myrtles.

July 2, 2014 at 8:37 pm
  18. JH

I live in NY, what time of year do you suggest for pruning, same time? I’ve never pruned mine and it’s huge and it needs to be shaped a little. Other than that it’s just gorgeous

July 1, 2014 at 4:04 pm
  19. Jan Binder

THANK YOU Steve Bender…My Crepe Myrtles died down to the ground this year…all but two…which I’ve pruned down to where the new green growth has submerged…my largest and most beautiful died down to the ground and I’ve suckers coming up…I so hate to cut the big branches …I had solar up lights on it and it bloomed white…was beautiful day and especially night…I have solar lights on the others as well…Glad it’s not to late to prune the others down…Thanks again…Love Southern Living!!

July 1, 2014 at 1:12 pm

LJ,
    I would prune your crepes now exactly as your describe.

June 30, 2014 at 2:18 pm
  21. Are There Zombie Trees? | Your Hub for Southern Culture

[…] Answer: First, email me your SSN, date of birth, and bank account password. This is extremely important. Next, decide whether you can wait a few years for your crepe myrtle to grow back. The winter cold killed it to the ground. To get it to grow back, cut off all of the dead trunks at the ground. Then select 4-5 well-spaced sprouts at the bottom that are growing up and out to become the new trunks. Cut off all others at the ground. For this first year, remove any side branches that grow from these sprouts. Thereafter, prune according to the directions given here. […]

June 26, 2014 at 10:01 am
  22. LJ

I just recently bought a new house with crepe myrtles flanking our driveway. The crepes look like they have never been pruned and the blooms are causing the branches to droop onto the driveway, sidewalk, and our neighbors yard. Is it too late to do some pruning? Specifically I want to remove all the cross branches no bigger than twig size and remove one large branch that is drooping onto the sidewalk.

June 24, 2014 at 5:25 pm