Natchez, MS: John David Montgomery

Jdredchopsitcks_2

The first thing John David Montgomery ever gave me was a pair of red chopsticks.  To be fair, they were the only things he ever gave me.  To be even fairer, he tried to give me a Bud Light when last I saw him, but I politely passed.  I still had a ways to go on the bottle in my hand…

(John David sings a verse of ‘House of the Rising Sun’ at the Under the Hill Saloon)

I met John David while researching, The Allure of Natchez, a big story on the Mississippi River town in the March ’09 issue of Southern Living.  He’s part of the story, but back to the sticks.

Some call John David “J.D.”  Some call him the mayor of Under the Hill, a commercial section of town that backs up beneath the town’s bluff.  (If Under the Hill had toes, they would always be sticking in Old Man River.)  Some call him the head bartender at the Under the Hill Saloon.  There are books that have been, should be, and will be written about this place.  It’s like a fine bottle of bourbon: Beautiful and pleasing to admire when capped.  Once opened and poured, however, it awakens, burns, brings laughter, and in excess, darkness.

Again, back to the sticks.  A handful of people determined that John David looks like Mr. Miyagi (Pat Morita’s beloved character from the Karate Kid Trilogy), and those few began calling him such.

Remember the scene when Mr. Miyagi, in teaching Daniel focus and patience, catches the fly with chopsticks?

John David has a party trick where he “catches” a cigarette–a Marlboro Red in fact–with chopsticks and smokes it.

I snapped the pic, then he gave me the sticks.

He also has a signature rendition of "House of the Rising Sun," that you’ll likely catch him performing on weekend nights in the Saloon.  Click on the audio box above, to hear him for yourself.  Do yourself a favor and meet John David in person, though.  He’s one-of-kind.

COMMENTS

1. Miami auto repair

Why anyone in the pic is not looking at him??
    What is it so common now & I didn’t know anything about it??

February 19, 2011 at 12:00 pm
  2. Computer Rentals

very funny and so handy… it’s difficult to hold something with the chopsticks but .. he’s a pro!!

February 19, 2011 at 11:58 am
  3. Metro Ethernet

those chopsticks are a little bit difficult to use!

February 13, 2011 at 10:31 am
  4. Metro Ethernet

I am not able to manage those chopsticks!!
    So, now I see A new use for them..
    Very interesting and difficult

February 13, 2011 at 10:30 am
  5. Kamagra

I don’t think that could be fun to smoke a cigar with those things, don’t think that you can enjoy that much smoking in that way

November 11, 2010 at 11:38 am
  6. Kamagra Gel

eey Tannen what is the big deal in smoking a cigar with a Chinese stick? ohh is for the smell or only for fun, I mean I’m a smoker and I never used something to put my cigar, I ganna try it thank for the post.

November 11, 2010 at 10:52 am
  7. Tanner

Homer,
    This is so cool! Thanks for linking us to the photo of you and JD. I’m sure he was thrilled.
    The whole world should know about Natchez and the Under the Hill Saloon.
    TL

June 22, 2009 at 9:05 am
  8. Homer K. Brockner

Great article on Natchez. Since I live in Louisiana, an hour from Natchez, I have been friends with JD for years. I personally matted/framed the magazine and article and rode to the bar to give it to JD. He was really excited.
    Link to photo: