How to Find Me on Twitter & Save Frogs and Mice

March 24, 2009 | By | Comments (10)

Shocking as it may be, some miscreant impostor on Twitter is calling himself the Grumpy Gardener. Use this link to find the real deal: http://twitter.com/grumpy_gardener.

I just received a press release from the Humane Society that should cause us all to stop and think. We are urged to carefully consider the matter of pool safety for wildlife during the coming swim season. Here is a shocking quote:

“According to the most recent statistics, there are more than 8 million swimming pools in the U.S., and an estimated 1 of every 1,027 pets drown in pools each year. Yet, this tragic figure doesn’t account for the tens of thousands of wild animals that suffer the same fate.

For example, think of a small frog that jumps in for a refreshing swim but finds the water’s surface too far below the pool’s edge to crawl out, or a field mouse that leans over the edge for a quick sip only to fall in and swim around until exhausted.”

I just know I won’t be able to sleep tonight for thinking about those poor frogs and field mice. So if you have a pool and don’t want to live a life of tragedy and guilt, here are some things you can do to protect wildlife.

1. Post signs that say, “Not responsible for tiny rodents and amphibians. Swim at own risk.”

2. Hire a certified Life-Frog trained in CPR.

3. Place life preservers made from tiny rings of styrofoam attached to dental floss around the pool in case of emergency.

4. Do not permit frogs and mice to swim without proper supervision.

5. As a last resort, lower the water level in your pool to one inch.

Frog

Don’t let an innocent frog croak!!!

COMMENTS

1. Lianne

Next thing you know, PETA will be suing pool owners for negligence.

March 24, 2009 at 4:49 pm
  2. Cameron (Defining Your Home Garden)

Our frogs stay in the waterfall/stream since our swimming pool is salt water. I guess they know that they shouldn’t drink salt water. Exception — the butterflies like to sit on the floats in the pool because they do like a bit of salt.
    Cameron

March 24, 2009 at 8:55 pm
  3. Pam/Digging

We get bees and spiders in ours. No frogs yet. Or alligators. Oh yeah, that’s why I don’t live in Florida.

March 24, 2009 at 11:00 pm
  4. MFH

Did that frog sign a release to allow his photo to be posted?

March 24, 2009 at 11:36 pm
  5. Grumpy Gardener

Yes, I now have power of attorney.

March 25, 2009 at 6:47 am
  6. Molly Weber

This reminded me of a story my husband told me. He worked with a guy that was installing an invisible fence to keep his dog in check. He was telling all the guys at work about the installation. He added that he thought it would be a good idea to line all the flower beds as well, since they had a problem with rabbits. Everyone just cracked up and said, how are you going to round up all the rabbits so you can put collars on them!! Too funny. I kind of felt sorry for the guy.

March 25, 2009 at 2:25 pm
  7. Grumpy Gardener

Molly,
    I bet you felt even sorrier when they fitted him with a collar.

March 26, 2009 at 8:27 am
  8. Grumpy Gardener

Grumpians,
    This story comes from Judy Hooks: “My young son gave artificial respiration to an apparently dead frog that he found in the pool drain. The water spouted out just as in your fountain. After 3 or 4 good squirts, he hopped away.”
    Makes you feel all warm and slimy inside, doesn’t it?

April 7, 2009 at 10:23 am
  9. Gabrielle Morrow

Yeah! Save the frogs…the spring peepers that start singing after a good spring rain sound so fantastic. I tend to stop/drive slowly along my street to let the cross the road.

April 19, 2009 at 8:45 pm
  10. Grumpy Gardener

Maybe you can put up a “Frog Crossing” sign. Hop to it!

April 20, 2009 at 12:56 pm