Crepe Myrtle — Your Questions Answered

July 10, 2009 | By | Comments (431)

Crepe myrtles are hot right now. In fact, no subject is of more interest to Southerners this summer, not even the stirring Presidential campaign of Ron Paul.

Thus, the ever-generous, all-caring Grump will answer 10 of the most common questions about crepe myrtles directed his way every week.

1. What does crepe myrtle need to grow well and bloom?

Answer — Lots of sun, well-drained soil, and extended summer heat. After suffering for so many years from hearing about how great gardening is in England, I am gratified to know that crepe myrtle hates it there. The summers aren’t sufficiently long and hot.

Winter cold is another consideration for you people up north. Although some selections, such as ‘Acoma’ (white), ‘Centennial Spirit’ (dark red), ‘Comanche’ (coral pink), ‘Hopi’ (medium pink), ‘Yuma’ (lavender), and ‘Zuni’ (lavender), are reputed to withstand temperatures below zero, if zero temps are common where you live, I wouldn’t plant crepe myrtle. It does best in Zones 7, 8, and 9. Instead, plant ‘Pink Diamond’ or ‘Tardiva’ hydrangea. (Both are selections of summer-flowering Hydrangea paniculata.)

2. When is a good time to plant crepe myrtle?

Answer — When the plant is dormant, either in fall, winter (where winters are mild), or early spring. Of course, you can plant a crepe myrtle grown in a container in summer too, as long as you water it frequently to keep it from wilting. Once it’s established, it’s quite drought-tolerant.

3. When should I prune crepe myrtle?

Answer — Late winter is the best time for two reasons. One, the plant has no leaves, so you can easily see all the branches and which ones need removing. Two, crepe myrtle blooms on new growth. Pruning in winter won’t reduce summer blooming.

Having said that, you can produce a second major flush of blooms on most crepe myrtles by pruning off the round, green seed pods that form just after the first flowers fade. The second flush won’t be quite as showy, but you’ll like it nonetheless.

4. What is “crepe murder?”

Answer — Crepe murder is the odious practice of using saws and loppers to cut down a crepe myrtle into thick, ugly stubs, usually performed on an early spring weekend by bored husbands seeking to justify their existence to women. This ruins the natural form of the plant, produces weak spindly branches too weak to hold up the flowers, and prevents the formation of the beautiful, smooth, mottled bark that looks so pretty in winter.

For specific instructions on pruning crepe myrtles, see “Stop! Don’t Chop” and “Crepe Myrtle Pruning Step-by-Step,” two highly informative articles written by your favorite Grump.

5. What’s that black stuff all over the leaves?

Answer — Hershey’s Dark Chocolate. Nah, just kidding. Actually, it’s black mold growing on the sticky honeydew produced by sucking insects, usually aphids. Get rid of the aphids and you’ll have no mold. Spray according to label directions with an environmentally friendly product, such as refined horticultural oil on insecticidal soap (make sure to wet the undersides of the leaves), or a systemic insecticide that’s absorbed into the leaves, such as Ortho Max Tree & Shrub Insect Control.

6. White that’s white stuff all over the leaves and flower buds?

Answer — Powdery mildew, a fungus that likes warm, humid weather. Many older types of crepe myrtle are highly susceptible. The fungus distorts the foliage and often ruins the flower buds. While you can prevent powdery mildew by spraying according to label directions with a fungicide such as Daconil or Immunox or even with refined horticultural oil, you’re better off buying a mildew-resistant selection, such as ‘Natchez,’ ‘Miami,’ ‘Sioux,’ ‘Dynamite,’ and ‘Biloxi.’ Look for this on the plant label.

7. Why doesn’t my healthy crepe myrtle bloom?

Answer — Could be lots of reasons. Maybe it doesn’t get enough sun. Maybe powdery mildew ruined the blooms. Maybe Japanese beetles ate it. Maybe it just needs a few more years to grow. Maybe you’re in a drought. A crepe myrtle will often go dormant during a very dry summer with flower buds ready to pop. They’ll only pop when the plant gets some water, either from rain or from you.

8. What are some crepe myrtles that don’t get so tall?

Answer — One way to avoid crepe murder is to select varieties that don’t need pruning. Small ones (5-10 feet) include  ‘Acoma,’ (white), ‘Hopi’ (pink), ‘Tonto’ (red), and ‘Zuni’ (lavender). Dwarf types (3-5 feet) include ‘Centennial’ (purple), ‘Petite’ (various colors), ‘Razzle Dazzle’ (various colors), ‘Pocomoke’ (rose-pink), and ‘Victor’ (deep red).

9. What are the Grump’s favorite crepe myrtles?

Answer — ‘Natchez,’ (tall white), ‘Miami’ (tall pink, pictured above), ‘Catawba’ (medium purple), ‘Dynamite’ (medium red), ‘Watermelon Red’ (tall red), ‘Petite Orchid’ (dwarf purple).

10. Why do you spell crepe myrtle with an “e”?

Answer — It never ceases to amaze me how many people think this spelling is the most significant issue facing the world today. I spell it with an “e” because the crinkled flowers remind me of crepe. If you want to spell it “crape,” go ahead — on your own blog.

1. Roger

It is early fall and I am getting ready to plant 2 Black Diamond Red Hot crepe myrtles..I live in SC the soil is kinda sandy, how often should I water the plants and for how long once they are planted

October 22, 2015 at 11:12 am

Water them well when you plant and make sure they don’t wilt before their leaves finally drop this fall. Next year, water every couple of days during summer dry spells. Established crepe myrtles need little supplementary watering.

My guess is ‘Peppermint Lace.’

November 4, 2015 at 10:04 am
  3. Julie Gonzales

What kind of crepe myrtle has pink and white on the petals of each little flower?

October 3, 2015 at 7:40 am

Very young trees often grow like this at first and then branch out. No need to lop off the top or anything else.

The sticky stuff is honeydew secreted by sucking insects like aphids. Spray your tree with neem oil or horticultural oil to kill the aphids and no more honeydew will be produced.

October 1, 2015 at 1:38 pm
  5. Bette Hutchcraft

Do crepe myrtles release a sap or a type of sticky substance that will get all over things, such as a car. My husband made me cut mine down because he said they were coating his car with sap. Is this true? thank you

September 25, 2015 at 11:31 am
  6. Kathy

Help! I planted a Natchez in June, It is growing, but straight up, now about 6ft. The biggest trunks look just like a branch, with leaves growing straight out of them. I bought it at Home Depot for it’s height since I wanted a tree. Was it trimmed wrong before I bought it or should I lope off a bit off the height thus causing some of the smaller branches at the bottom to increase? New at this, so thanks for any help.

September 20, 2015 at 4:59 pm
  7. Niquie

Ii just found this blog and it gave me (1) very good information and advice and (2) a few good laughs! And it’s “crepe,” folks. Not “crape.” That looks like a fancy spelling for something obnoxious. Anyway, I am WAY over here in California and crepe myrtles do very well here. Mine has been in a terra cotta pot for 30 years. Alas, it is wanting to go to Arbor Heaven. So, with the information I gleaned here, I will take my notes to Armstrong Nursery and order me up a Petite Orchid — I think that’s what it’s called. I will double check.

Muchas gracias, Steve.

September 19, 2015 at 11:28 am

I’d water them almost every day until their leaves drop. Sandy soil dries very quickly and new plants can’t be allowed to dry out or they will die. If your plants look wilted first thing in the morning before it gets hot, water.

September 19, 2015 at 9:09 am
  9. Gerri

How often should I water crepe muffled that were just planted. My trees have some yellow leaves on them. I live at the beach

September 19, 2015 at 6:59 am
  10. lorie

I planted a Crepe Myrtle last week can I plant another one right next to it without hurting the one I planted first

August 31, 2015 at 8:54 pm

Amazing….chopped down 2 crepe myrtle this early summer due to being dead but left both stumps…funny one is growing back!!! it started to bloom again from the stump!!! So maybe one of them wasent really dead afterall :)

August 31, 2015 at 4:25 pm

Now is snot a good time to fertilize, as it would encourage leafy growth that wouldn’t hardn off in time for winter. Spring is better. Are all three the same type? Sometimes it takes one longer to start blooming than the others.

My guess is that you either started with very small plants; they don’t get enough sun; or they were damaged by the cold winter last year.

You need to know how big your crepe myrtles are going to get. You don’t want to plant two 30 foot trees next to each other. Unless you’re planting dwarf kinds, I leave at least six feet between them.

Crepe myrtles are deciduous. They always lose their leaves in fall.

September 7, 2015 at 8:32 am
  13. Charles L

Crepe -I have three crepe myrtle one blooms the other two does not. Should all be fertilized?
    if so what type?

August 31, 2015 at 12:22 pm
  14. debb ie Marksberry

live in ky have planted for three years but never bloomed. What is my problem

August 24, 2015 at 10:37 am