Brain Food

July 19, 2009 | By | Comments (27)

What are your limits when it comes to food? Is there anything you just won’t eat?

Brains1

The reason I’m asking is that mondo Southern Living garden photographer Ralph Anderson and I recently ate breakfast at the North Carolina State Farmer’s Market in Raleigh. I had a garden omelet. Ralph ate brains and eggs.

That’s right. Brains and eggs. Pig brains, to be exact. And that’s where I draw the line.

I guess I could never be English, because I refuse to eat organ food. No kidneys, no pancreas, no liver, and especially no brains. They look nasty, they’re not good for you (liver is full of toxins it filters out of whatever animal it came from), but most of all, eating them is just not right.

I mean, how can you eat a pig’s brain? That’s what he used to recognize his mama. That’s what he used to dream of freedom and justice. That’s what he used when he became the first pig in history to decide the Earth was round, not flat, that U-2 is still the world’s greatest band, and that a certain plant holds the cure for cancer — right before he was slaughtered.

Besides, brains and eggs look horrible on a plate. When the waitress set it down, the first thing I thought of was that my cat had just gotten sick.

Brains2

So spare me the organ food, Ralph. Next time when we travel, we’re gonna eat parts of animals that are meant to be consumed — lips. snouts, jowls, tails, and feet.

COMMENTS

1. Karen

I’m with you on this Steve – I do not eat organ meat(?) either and also no raw fish.
    Karen

July 19, 2009 at 9:42 am
  2. Danielle Says Hello

I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy your posts!!! Even when they aren’t garden related ;) I don’t think you are grumpy..I think you are very funny!! Keep up the good work!

July 19, 2009 at 9:43 am
  3. Annie in Austin

On the old 33RPM album “Inside the Mind of Bill Cosby” he says something like “Brains & eggs…brains & eggs…I don’t want to eat anything somebody thunk with.”
    Totally agree with you & Bill Cosby, Steve!
    Annie at the Transplantable Rose

July 19, 2009 at 9:51 am
  4. Aunty Matter

It looks like vomit.
    Maybe it would be best prepared by puuting it in a blender with Pepto Bismol, ketchup, flour and baking powder, then dropped by dollops into a deep fryer til dark brown, then served with a generous dusting of confectioner’s sugar on top of a pool of Karo syrup.
    That’s good eatin’.

July 19, 2009 at 1:13 pm
  5. Aunty Matter

Seriously folks, there’s one “food” that I just can’t stand, and it’s probably jam packed with vitamins, too, that weed named Cilantro.
    Tastes like poison. Must be the vitamins.
    Oh, and escarole. Just awful.

July 19, 2009 at 1:24 pm
  6. Jean

Looks like somebody all ready ate it. bleech…! Not enough money to pay me to eat any of the mentioned body parts. No thank you! Now mention fried chicken and we can talk!

July 19, 2009 at 6:52 pm
  7. jeff

“When the waitress set it down, the first thing I thought of was that my cat had just gotten sick.”
    For those of us that have seen what a cat (especially an outside cat) throws up, that is pretty descriptive and discusting.

July 19, 2009 at 6:53 pm
  8. Robin B

One time over 20 years ago my hubby and I were grocery shopping (before they used scanners) and he put a can of pork brains in the cart. I didn’t know they were there until we were at the checkout and the clerk got on the loudspeaker and said, “I need a price check on PORK BRAINS.” I wanted to kill him.

July 19, 2009 at 10:11 pm
  9. Grumpy Gardener aka His Excellency

Lucky he didn’t try to sneak them through security at an airport. “Need a male scan here. Pork brains.”

July 20, 2009 at 7:20 am
  10. Cameron (Defining Your Home Garden)

I can’t look at the photos! :-)
    Cameron

July 20, 2009 at 8:06 am
  11. Aunty Matter

Another actual product…
    The scary “Potted Meat”.
    Sits alongside the Vienna Sausages.
    And the Spam.
    Yum….I can hear Pavlov’s Bell.

July 20, 2009 at 10:40 am
  12. Brandy

That’s both foul and hilarious!

July 20, 2009 at 12:16 pm
  13. Grumpy Gardener aka His Excellency

I have always aspired to be foul and hilarious.

July 20, 2009 at 3:44 pm
  14. Ralph

Although I don’t ordinarily order brain, I could not resist this chance to disgust the Grumpy Gardener. A strange sensation of vitality was immediately experienced after ingestion, and now I can’t wait to have another heapin’ helpin’ of glia and neurons (love those dendrites!). Maybe sometime in 2029.

July 20, 2009 at 7:49 pm
  15. Caroline Homer

Ugh. Watch out for the porcine prions, Ralph!

July 20, 2009 at 8:30 pm
  16. Caroline Homer

Ugh. Watch out for the porcine prions, Ralph!

July 20, 2009 at 8:31 pm
  17. Grumpy Gardener aka His Excellency

Caroline,
    Having worked with Ralph for years, I am sorry to say it is already too late.

July 21, 2009 at 7:09 am
  18. Helen yoest

The question to me is why? I’m an adve turous eater, but draw the line on eating the brain of an animal smarter than me. It somehow reeks of the animal version of Botany of Desire! He WANTS us to eat his brain. Why? This masterplan scared me more than a rerun of Jaws.

July 21, 2009 at 8:25 am
  19. Helen Yoest @ Gardening With Confidence

FWIW, I don’t think for a second Ralph ate those brains.
    I’m not evening putting money on the grits. Otherwise, where is the butter pad and salt? You really DO need a stylists! Have your bro/bra call my bro/bra to see if we can work something out. H.

July 22, 2009 at 12:42 am
  20. Aunty Matter

Certainly, if he did eat them, his name would become a verb.
    Indeed, they were fed to a nearby feral dog, to be sure.
    With a fork.

July 22, 2009 at 10:23 am
  21. Amy Branch LeJeune

My friend Ralph would never eat something like that!!

July 24, 2009 at 10:49 pm
  22. Grump Gardener

Ralph’s been hiding his secret for years, then decided to come out of the kitchen.

July 25, 2009 at 11:02 am
  23. LemonBars

Braaaaains!
    Are you preparing for the zombie apocalypse?

July 25, 2009 at 2:47 pm
  24. Grumpy Gardener

“Zombie apocalypse?” Is this code for the end of “The View”?

July 26, 2009 at 1:04 am
  25. Cathy

My parents, who were both from North Carolina (the mountains, not the tony Raleigh-Cary area), both liked brains and scrambled eggs. Dad savored potted meat on a cracker, and they both liked sardines and crackers. But he absolutely glowed when, on a visit to his hometown, he found livermush on the menu. Apparently it’s a North Carolina thing. Maybe on your next visit???

July 29, 2009 at 12:25 am
  26. Grumpy Gardener

“Livermush” —ummm, that sounds good. Do I serve it with blood meal?

August 9, 2009 at 8:53 pm
  27. Ann@BestJuicerReviews.com

Yucks, Brains? Never. I just wonder how someone can swallow that awful stuff down their throat! The thought of it makes me sick
    Breville 800JEXL