Welcome To The Daily South

August 13, 2012 | By | Comments (33)
open gates bed breakfast l Welcome To The Daily South

Photo courtesy of Chris M. Rogers

You might have noticed: The South is getting a lot of attention lately — attention for our food, our culture, and our booming creativity. The South is hot. But we’ve always known that.

We see it every day, as we travel the region searching for the best new restaurants, the most gorgeous homes, the most jaw-dropping gardens. We hear it in the music we cover, we taste it in the food perfected in our Test Kitchen.

We live the South 24/7.

So today we’re launching The Daily South to bring you more — more stories about emerging trends, Southern proprietors of style, and the insider scoop on what we’re talking about in the hallways of Southern Living.

What to expect? To start, you’ll get inspiration and tips for your home and gardens, travel secrets from our intrepid road warriors, gorgeous photos by our staff photographers,  and of course a generous portion of food.

You’ll get more behind-the-scenes footage from our Test Kitchen (who doesn’t want to sit around their tasting table?), learn more about the Southern chefs who are re-imagining Southern cuisine, and be inspired by the creativity of our region’s food culture.

To kick things off this week, we’re celebrating with some of the South’s leading taste makers. Each day we’ll feature a “Southern Must List,” joined by leaders like fashion designer Billy Reid, chef Sean Brock, and interior designer Tobi Fairley.

And this is just the start. Follow us on Twitter and on Facebook for alerts.

That is, if you want to know what’s going on in the South. It’s hot, you know.

COMMENTS

1. Jacque Avant

I was born and raised in the South.What a wonderful place to live. I have been taking Southern Living so long I can’t even remember when I started it. I always enjoy something new from you.
    Keep up the good work of promoting the South

August 13, 2012 at 10:52 am
  2. Eat Jackson, MS (@eatjxn)

Love seeing this… “The South is hot!”

August 13, 2012 at 10:54 am
  3. Becca

Thank you sooo much!
    Florida hugs,
    Becca

August 13, 2012 at 11:17 am
  4. Jeanne Ward

Grew up reading Southern Living and I Love all it has to offer……♥

August 13, 2012 at 11:49 am
  5. Joan Vogel

Would not live anywhere else. Love the food, the conversation and the lifestyle. Love seeing the blog.

August 13, 2012 at 12:49 pm
  6. hammerandheels

Love it! Can’t wait to read more. Cheers- Anne

August 13, 2012 at 3:14 pm
  7. Patricia Driesbach

Southern-born, southern-raised in Birmingham many years ago, with a big glass of tea in one hand and Southern Living magazine in the other! Thank you for continuing to give us more about the South we love! What a spectacular place to live, raise kids, & retire. Y’all are missin’ out on the best of everything if you haven’t partaken of our beautiful lifestyle!

August 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm
  8. Mary Hazlett

Southern-born and southern-raised – yet never liked Sweet Tea ! Just give me a cold glass of freshly churned buttermilk and some cornbread.

August 13, 2012 at 5:20 pm
  9. Bonnie

Sending lots of New England love to your new blog! I adore Southern Living and am looking forward to reading the blog to get me through the time between issues! You are “hands down” the best magazine around.

August 13, 2012 at 5:42 pm
  10. erinshawstreet

Thanks so much for your feedback! We’re here to serve, so please let us know more about what you’d like to see on the Daily South and in the magazine. Our staff is so excited to share the stories of the South we all know and love. So let us know how we’re doing, and what stories you’d like to see covered.

August 13, 2012 at 6:02 pm
  11. Stephanie

Love this new Southern Living feature! Kudos on a wonderful new feature. I grew up surrounded by my mother’s Southern Living magazines and beloved cookbooks. Watching the magazine launch a new focus many decades after I first discovered it is very exciting – for the staff and its loyal cadre of readers. As our Louisiana friends like to say: Laissez les bons temps rouler!

August 13, 2012 at 6:51 pm
  12. Charlotte Kosa

You do not have to be born in the South, live in the South to enjoy this. I originally am from the North and now enjoy becoming acquainted with my new home with the help of South Living and now will enjoy this great feature as well…thank you SL for another great idea <3

August 13, 2012 at 10:30 pm
  13. Connie B.

You can’t beat our laid back, southern life style. . . southern hospitality, beautiful homes, fried chicken, frogmore stew, watermelon, boiled p-nuts, pecan pie and sweet tea. My, could go on and on.
    Southern Living does such a good job show casing it all! Keep up the good work.

August 13, 2012 at 10:54 pm
  14. Lawd, yes. Introducing: my new Southern staple. | MagicCityMade

[...] Here’s the launch. [...]

August 14, 2012 at 10:39 am
  15. Paula James

I am a long-term subscriber to Southern Living and love the magazine. I have been a frequent visitor to the website in recent years as well, but I absolutely HATE this new format! I doubt that I will visit it from now on – I will access The Grumpy Gardener blog via Facebook, but will bypass the SL website altogether.

August 14, 2012 at 11:44 am
  16. Ann Anderson

Southern Living…ya’ll rule! You share our Southern lifestyle with class (you can almost feel manners when reading an issue). Its layout preserves our history and keeps an eye on the future at the same time. We never get tired of house plans resembling 100-150 years ago tweaked for today. More columns and porches! Barbeques and sugar white beaches!

August 14, 2012 at 11:57 am
  17. Patricia Stephens

Long time Southern Living fan..love your mag…website..info..blogs…features..especially Rick Bragg!! A native Alabamian who has lived and worked all over US..it’s nice to be retired and HOME..and I savor everything Southern Living offers from gardening to cooking to book recommendations and decor ideas.

August 14, 2012 at 12:01 pm
  18. Jean

Visited the South for the first time a year ago and loved it! I went home and ordered Southern Living. Now my husband and I plan to retire in less than 2 years and move to Georgia. I love this new feature, I’m learning to be a southern woman!

August 14, 2012 at 12:15 pm
  19. Diane Elizabeth

I have moved to Florida in retirement but took your magazine even while living in California. I guess it was in me all along! Love it all!

August 14, 2012 at 12:31 pm
  20. JANE

GREAT MAGAZINE! RECIPES ARE GREAT, GARDEN INFORMATION,GREAT…..TRAVEL INFORMATION IS ALWAYS INTERESTING AND INFORMATIVE. HOWEVER, THE INTERIOR DESIGN SEGMENTS ARE NOT VERY INTERSETING OR INSPIRING. I STILL ENJOY YOUR MAGAZINE…..

August 14, 2012 at 12:43 pm
  21. BWithers

Born and raised in Los Angeles, but I love all things Southern. Every year I make it my DUTY to visit the South. I have read your magazine for years and was quite distressed, because I could not find it on the newstand in Los Angeles anymore. Finally, I renewed my subscription – even though one of my favorite activities is going into the bookstore to buy magazines. Thank you for making my day.

August 14, 2012 at 12:59 pm
  22. Valerie Woerner

Love this idea!!

August 14, 2012 at 1:29 pm
  23. Rosie

What a great feature,keep up the good work!

August 14, 2012 at 7:06 pm
  24. Tessa

Oh, I can’t wait to see what The Daily South serves up! Even though I’m a Southerner I’m anxious to read about all the places you’ll find. I plan my weekend excursions around the great places the South has to offer. There are such great homes, intriguing shops and fabulous eateries tucked away in the South, sometimes in the remotest of hideaways, so I await The Daily South’s finds. I’m so excited about the adventures that await!

August 14, 2012 at 8:22 pm
  25. Tlburke

Love this idea. I’m living in the midwest and, miss the south so very much. My heart is in dixie and always will be. I long to see St..Louis in my rear view mirror. It’s not a bad place, it’s just not Vriginia.

August 14, 2012 at 8:50 pm
  26. Tlburke

Honestly, I know how to spell Virginia. And I’m not even blond.

August 14, 2012 at 8:55 pm
  27. Lillian

Southern born, southern bred. Nothing is better than living in the South. Ice tea, fried chicken, collard green, corn bread, cakes, back yard cookouts, fishing, gardening, friendship, enjoying nature. I wouldn’t live anywhere else. I love living in the good old Peach State, Georgia. The Southern Living magazine entails the good ole southern living ways and food.

August 14, 2012 at 9:11 pm
  28. Sara

Very excited about this new content! Where’s the photo from? It’s a lovely house – reminds me of home :)

August 15, 2012 at 9:28 am
  29. Diane Mooney

What a great choice for the cover photo. I have stayed at Open Gates in Darien, Ga. and the innkeepers are incredible:) Full of history and good times! Best Wishes on this new venture.

August 19, 2012 at 7:22 pm
  30. roy thomas

Enjoyed Rick Bragg’s column in the latest addition wife reads the magazine and I read Rick’s column we travel through Jacksonville several times a week and live just a few miles down the road, it is a great example of old south/good south,
    his words fit it to a t thanks Rick

August 25, 2012 at 3:09 pm
  31. Sunday’s Post: A Little Something Different | joeccombs2nd

[...] Welcome To The Daily South (thedailysouth.southernliving.com) Share this:TwitterFacebookDiggLinkedInEmailPrintTumblrStumbleUponRedditPinterestLike this:LikeBe the first to like this. [...]

August 29, 2012 at 11:35 am
  32. Rosie

hi jean, i read your august 14,2012 comment, you are planning to retire to georgia, We too planning to retire to georgia…any info which towns in georgia to retire you recommend. We are still researching. I enjoy Southern Living magazine it is awesome it also give great info about the south. thank you enjoy your soon retirement !.

September 5, 2012 at 1:07 pm
  33. BWithers

I haven’t seen this since the first day.What happened? I thought I was getting it every day.

September 11, 2012 at 12:43 am