An adults-only beverage is turned into a delicious adults-only dessert. Watch as I deep-fry a favorite Southern cocktail—Jack and Coke.
Deep-Fried Jack and Coke
- 1 (8-oz.) bottle cola
- 2 Tbsp. granulated sugar
- 2 (12-oz.) package vanilla wafers, finely crushed, divided
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. cocoa powdered
- 2 1/2 Tbsp. light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup Tennessee whiskey (Jack Daniel’s)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- Vegetable oil
1. Bring first 2 ingredients to a boil in a small sauce pan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Boil 1 minute, reduce heat to low and simmer about 10 minutes, stirring often until mixture is a syrup like consistency. Remove from heat.
2. Combine 1 (12-oz.) package vanilla wafers, finely crushed; chopped pecans; and next 2 ingredients in a large bowl. Stir well.
3. Combine corn syrup and whiskey, stirring well. Pour bourbon mixture over wafer mixture; stir until blended. Shape into 1-inch balls.
4. Roll balls in flour until lightly coated. Dip in egg and gently press into remaining package of finely crushed vanilla wafers.
5. Pour oil to depth of 2 inches into a Dutch oven; heat to 350°. Fry balls, in batches, 30 seconds to 1 minute on each side or until golden brown. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Drizzle with cola syrup.
Watch how easy it is to add some crunch to your favorite cocktail:
Check back next Friday to see what else our Test Kitchen throws in the deep fryer. And to see our past videos, go to SouthernLiving.com/fry.