Every Monday we bring you the SL Hot List, a round up of the five latest and greatest things to hit the South. Consider it your weekly update on our region’s most buzz-worthy food, culture, and style news.
1. Willie Nelson’s book. The Red Headed Stranger from Lone Star State is back on Tuesday with his fourth book, Roll Me Up and Smoke Me When I Die: Musings from the Road. You’ll feel like you just scored a seat on Willie’s tour bus with all the jokes, stories, and insight from his inner circle in this book.
2. New D.C. restaurant. Farmers Fishers Bakers opened on Friday at Washington Harbour in Washington, and just like sister restaurant Founding Farmers, the menu is filled with seasonal and locally grown eats such as Hot Maryland Crab Dip and Virginia Cracker Calmari. We think it was the inventive sushi menu (compressed watermelon + tuna anyone?) and a soda fountain called “The Farmacy” that had us hooked.
3. Tampa food truck rally. More than a dozen food trucks such as The Hogfather, Unforgettable Cupcakes, and Stinky Bunz will roll over to Tampa’s Museum of Science and Industry on Friday night. Explore the museum after dark, try your hand on the ropes course and the zip line, and catch the latest Bond flick, Skyfall, on the IMAX screen–the largest one in the Sunshine State.
4. Helen’s BBQ documentary. Fresh off winning the Keeper of the Flame award from the Southern Foodways Alliance, pitmaster Helen Turner of Helen’s BBQ is about to be celebrated once again. On Sunday, the SFA is holding a free screening of the documentary, Helen’s BBQ: I Am the Pitmaster, at the College Hill Center in Brownsville, Tennessee. Come soak up all the juicy details about Helen’s life and career–one that we thought made her worthy of the title one of the 10 best pitmasters in the South. (Visit Helen’s BBQ Monday through Saturday at 1016 N. Washington Avenue in Brownsville.)
5. Concert CDs from The King. It may not be Elvis Week, but we stay excited about The King year-round. Forty years after Elvis played four sold-out shows in Madison Square Garden, fans can finally enjoy the two-disc CD set, Prince From Another Planet with bonus unseen footage shot by a fan and the pre-concert press conference.