Every Monday we bring you the SL Hot List, a round up of the five latest and greatest things to hit the South. Consider it your weekly update on our region’s most buzzworthy food, culture, and style news.
1. Stylish collegiate wear. College football season is winding down, but here in the South we wear our team colors year-round. NC State grad Charlotte Guice’s line Olly Oxen features scarfs and skirts that are a subtle but chic way to support your school. Guys can give a preppy nod to their team (from the Tide to the Tar Heels) in one of Charlotte’s gingham bow ties.
2. Atlanta’s newest restaurant. Chef Drew Van Leuvan (formerly of ONE. midtown kitchen) will start serving up regionally inspired fare at Seven Lamps in Buckhead on Friday. Outfitted with a fire pit and reclaimed wood from a North Georgia mill, the new eatery will feature dishes such as baked Ellijay apple with roasted mushrooms, goat cheese soufflé, and sherry caramel.
3. Miami’s cocktail party shop. Find gorgeous barware, ice buckets, and napkins straight from the Mad Men era at the recently opened The Hour in Neiman Marcus in Coral Gables. Owner Victoria Vergason is a seasoned pro at culling vintage items–her original store is in Alexandria, Virginia–and even wrote a book, Capitol Cocktails, stocked with recipes to fill those glasses.
4. The Nutcracker in Birmingham. You’re in for a rare treat if you can snag a seat and watch Alabama Ballet perform George Balanchine’s The Nutcracker™ starting Friday. Alabama Ballet is one of only seven companies in the world granted the right to stage the late choreographer’s full-scale, sumptuous version of the classic tale. We bet you’ll have visions of the Sugarplum Fairy (and all the rest) dancing in your head afterward. Performances run December 14-16, 21-23.
5. Jacksonville’s ZOOLights. ‘Tis the season to spend some time at the Jacksonville Zoo & Gardens to experience a winter wonderland at ZOOLights. Starting Friday, the zoo will be glittering with thousands of lights, and you can get cozy roasting marshmallows over a fire pit. Our favorite part: the nightly snow fall. December 14-31.
5 1/2. Tons of new openings. It’s an especially good week to live in the South: Louisville got a Vietnamese sandwich shop (Bánh Mì Hero) last week, a brick-and-mortar eatery selling street food (The Green Door) opens Tuesday in Charleston, and starting Saturday, lucky ladies in Dallas can get their makeup done at a new beauty lounge (Blushington).