Handsome Southern Gentleman Alert: Holiday Edition

December 21, 2012 | By | Comments (8)
Photo by Caroline Fontenot

Photo by Caroline Fontenot

Morgan Beaty is a New York native, but he’s a Southern gentleman at heart. Our blogger friends Back Down South spotted him at a recent party in Talking Rock, Georgia, alongside his lovely wife Candice.  Morgan shared the inspiration for his look with us.

Guys, take note:

Hometown: New York City, New York

Home now: The Classic City, Athens Georgia

What you’re wearing:
J. Crew wool blazer
Land’s End Canvas patchwork bow tie
Club Monaco white OCBD
Gap Merino Sweater
J. Crew 484 Jeans
Timberland Earthkeepers City Escape Boots

How would you describe your personal style?
Perpetual Empire style for a newly reformed Southern Gentleman.

Favorite Southern designer and why?
Sid Mashburn. He serves a fresh interpretation on the classics, while always staying true to his southern roots.

Who/what are your style influences?
James Bond, Ralph Lauren, Sid MashburnBilly Reid, and Andre 3000.

Currently coveting:
Billy Reid Bond Pea Coat and a tweed herringbone three-piece suit

Would never wear:
Cargo shorts. I always stick with my Chubbies shorts.

What are your predictions for Southern-influenced fashion in 2013?
“Geezer” style is making a comeback. I predict short shorts, Houndstooth, Prince of Wales, Glen Plaid, retro tennis shoes with everything. I’ll stick with my retro Nikes though. They never went out of style, but might have fallen off the radar for a bit.

Southern style is?
Brawny Man meets prep school.

What’s your favorite Christmas tradition?
For the past three years my old college roommates and I have had our own Christmas at our house right after finals. We load the tree up with presents for each other and then in the morning invite over some new friends each year for Christmas morning. We open presents, have a big family style breakfast, watch Christmas movies all day and “play” with our new presents.

It’s my time with my Athens family that kicks off the holidays. We plan on keeping the tradition for years to come, with my wife and I hosting it this year.

–By Caroline Fontenot

COMMENTS

1. M.L. Duffy

That man would be hot in anything he wore! Jethro leaps to mind!

January 22, 2013 at 6:38 pm
  2. Holiday Party, Part II » Back Down South

[…] Read the full interview with styling details here. […]

December 23, 2012 at 12:03 pm
  3. Will Cochran

Grits, you are correct ain’t is not a word however considering the situation that we are discussing the non word ain’t fits very well. I’m certainly not judging Mr. Morgan Beaty only his choice of clothes. But hey to each his own and if Mr Beaty feels comfortable in that outfit then he has my blessings.

December 22, 2012 at 7:38 pm
  4. erin {a lowcountry wedding}

Well we think he looks fabulous! Loving the boots!

December 22, 2012 at 12:11 pm
  5. Grits

1955 or 2012, southern style remains the same. A sweater, blazer and bow tie are classic pieces that will never be out of style and adding jeans is a great way to make it more casual. Although I don’t love the shoes, a pair of loafers would go perfectly with this outfit.

And let’s do the math- your husband wore that outfit 57 years ago and you married him. He obviously was doing something right!

And Mr. Georgia Tech, a true southern gentleman would know that ain’t is not a word.

December 22, 2012 at 11:57 am
  6. William Cochran

A true Southern Gentleman would never be caught wearing the above. Sorry ya’ll but that outfit ain’t right.

December 21, 2012 at 10:01 pm
  7. Janice Aarssen

Reminds me of what my husband wore when we dated. Today would have been our 57th ann. Do the math!

December 21, 2012 at 5:45 pm
  8. Virginia

I think the outfit’s awful…but I’m an old woman.

December 21, 2012 at 12:55 pm