We love a big, rich breakfast casserole in the South, especially on Christmas morning, and Sausage-Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole is a delicious, hearty choice. Get a jump start by cooking the sausage the night before, and placing it in a plastic zip-top bag to chill overnight. You’ll be one step ahead on Christmas morning, giving you time to enjoy the festivities.
Sausage-Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
Makes 10 servings
- 1 pound mild ground pork sausage
- 1 pound hot ground pork sausage
- 1 (30-ounce) package frozen hash browns
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- Cook sausages in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until sausage crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain well.
- Prepare hash browns according to package directions, using 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Stir together hash browns, sausage, and cheese. Pour into a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, and remaining 1 teaspoon salt. Pour evenly over potato mixture.
- Bake at 350° for 35 to 40 minutes.