Every Monday we bring you the SL Hot List, a round up of the five latest and greatest things to hit the South. Consider it your weekly update on our region’s most buzzworthy food, culture, and style news.
1. Mudsmith Coffee opens in Dallas. Anyone looking for a caffeine fix in Dallas will be happy to know that Mudsmith Coffee opens today. The baristas will be using Chemex and V-60 for slow pour-over methods using San Francisco’s Four Barrel coffee. The staff takes coffee seriously, but the vibe is chill in the rustic spot, with long wooden tables perfect for sharing a homemade croissant.
2. Music out of Birmingham. Alabama’s own Duquette Johnson has been making music for more than 20 years, and he’s back with a new E.P. entitled “Rebel King” available Tuesday from NoiseTrade. We love the strength of his commanding voice and how powerful it is just accompanied by his guitar. (Check out a video below that was filmed in Birmingham.) If you can’t get enough Duquette, look for his full-length album “Rabbit Runs A Destiny” out this spring.
3. D.C.’s newest wine shop. Break out the bubbly because one of our favorite District spots, Union Market, has a new tenant, Cordial Fine Wine, opening on Friday. UVA grad and Austin native Eric Rohleder and his staff have handpicked 216 wines and 35 craft beers from around the world to stock the shop. Cordial’s iPads display tasting notes and reviews and their system remembers your buying history so you can select the best bottle.
4. Classic Delta dishes. Jackson, Mississippi, native Susan Puckett grew up eating hot tamales and grits and has lovingly captured that distinctive Delta cuisine (plus the recipes!) in her newest book, Eat Drink Delta. The longtime SFA member traveled all around the region, eating memorable meals including one at Doe’s Eat Place where she even got to eavesdrop on fellow diner Archie Manning (all sports talk!). Accompanied by vivid photography, Susan peers in kitchens both classic and new, and the results will have you hungry.
5. Beyoncé’s big week. After performing at the inauguration last week, the Houston native is not slowing down. First up is the Tuesday release of a new Destiny’s Child album called ”Love Songs” featuring a new track and their most romantic songs from the past 15 years, just in time for Valentine’s Day. On Sunday, Beyonce sings on one of music’s biggest stages during halftime at Super Bowl XLVII in New Orleans. (Rumor has it that DC bandmates Kelly Rowland and Michelle Williams will join her up on stage!)
5 1/2. South-wide happy hour. We’ve told you all about the South’s Best Bars. From 4-7 p.m. on Friday, editors and contributors will join readers at select bars for happy hour, cocktails, and drink deals. Follow along using #southernhappyhour.<p><a href=”http://vimeo.com/13145578″>Duquette Johnston – Got Lost & Stayed</a> from <a href=”http://vimeo.com/user1101863″>Green Block</a> on <a href=”http://vimeo.com”>Vimeo</a>.</p>