Gargoyle masks (a nod to the Gothic Revival architecture and the historic carvings on the hotel’s exterior), a “pyschic happy hour” (think card readers, chair massages, and $2 martinis), and Alamo Re-Enactors? In San Antonio, they know how to throw a party.
Last night The Emily Morgan Hotel (newly a DoubleTree by Hilton property), the official hotel of The Alamo, unveiled a multi-million dollar renovation with a swanky soiree that included appetizers from chef Chris Cook’s new menu at Oro Restaurant & Bar, strumming guitars as guests ambled through the property, and fireworks from the hotel rooftop.
The seductive music and free flowing cocktails were an appropriate way to celebrate a hotel named after Emily Morgan, the legendary folk heroine who reportedly used her charms to, um, “distract” General Santa Anna during siesta time on April 21, 1836, when the Texas army charged the Mexican camp on the prairie of San Jacinto.
We’re eager to check in and sink into a weekend of Lone Star history: Next door at The Alamo, you can check out Davy Crockett’s fringed leather jacket and revolver, among other weathered artifacts, but the historic hotel is similarly steeped in San Antonio’s past: The renovation unearthed the original nameplate tile featured when the building opened in 1926. Located at the hotel’s main entrance, the brass inlaid granite tile reads “Medical Arts Building,” the structure’s initial name.