We’re Giving Away a Crate and Barrel Mixing Bowl Set

February 3, 2013 | By and | Comments (389)

crate barrel bowls m Were Giving Away a Crate and Barrel Mixing Bowl SetHigh voltage bowls like these should not be hidden away in a cupboard – break them out for a bake fest!

This set of 5 of from Crate & Barrel retails for $49.95 and comes with a rubber ledge on the bottom to keep them from slipping on countertops. They are also smartly designed to nest inside one another for easy storage.

You could win them! To enter, tell us your best kitchen organizing tip!

The contest begins February 1st and ends February 28th. Click here for official rules.

calphalon accucore 10 piece cookware set s Were Giving Away a Crate and Barrel Mixing Bowl SetFind out what we’re giving away tomorrow, and enter to win all the other prizes being given away this month!

COMMENTS

1. Debbie Marshall

To have all my pantry items in clear containers so that you see what you have and how much you have.

February 26, 2013 at 5:51 pm
  2. tammy

Keep the children and husband out of the kitchen!

February 26, 2013 at 4:36 pm
  3. Paperclip Hashbrown

Glass jars and plastic containers help me stay organized and help my food stay fresh. I like to recycle old mason and pickle jars. Sometimes I’ll dye the outside with alcohol ink to add some interest.

February 25, 2013 at 12:34 am
  4. sccoed

I keep pots and pans and their lids on shelves under kitchen counters, have 2 glass front cabinets to display better breakable pieces (and keep away from little hands) plus have two plastic roll arounds – the open one to put various stacked pieces and the 3 drawer one to stack smaller plastic bowls and their lids into.

February 23, 2013 at 1:42 am
  5. Laurie

How to get my family to eat the leftovers when I’m not home to cook? Put them in containers with lids in the fridge that have labels on them with what is in it and the date I put it in there. The trick though is to write the name of the food item in GIANT letters so they can’t miss it. What a useful tip from Heather – Feb 10th. I never would have thought to put a tension rod underneath my sink to hang bottles. What a great idea!

February 21, 2013 at 4:06 pm
  6. Julie

Best tip: Live in NYC for at least one year! This will force you to be organized – no room for error!
    Use the walls – shelving, pot racks, above the cabinets. Pair down, learn great knife skills to eliminate the need for extra gadgets.

February 20, 2013 at 10:51 am
  7. Nikki

Always put everything back to its original place when you are done with it! Also, when I buy cereals, pastas..they immediately get transferred into new jars with lids.

February 18, 2013 at 9:41 am
  8. arthur ling

I put 2 U-shaped bars (like this [ ] )from the hardware store (used in joinery) upside down on the underside of one of my cabinet shelves. Then you just slide the base of the wine glass between the bars and suspend them above the mugs and drinking glasses for better use of the space. Cheap and efficient.

February 18, 2013 at 9:31 am
  9. Anne Holcomb

I KEEP ALL MY LIDS FOR MY POTS AND PANS IN ONE DRAWER.

February 17, 2013 at 3:35 pm
  10. MrsD

“like” items go together — baking in one area, stove top items in another, etc. Always put the most used items in the handiest places. Only non-breakables and non-ingestibles go in the lower cabinets so that you’re always ready for visits from little folks.

February 15, 2013 at 10:39 am
  11. Amanda Laudenslayer

My favorite kitchen organizing tip is to use plastic containers. They come in a variety of sizes and easily store flour, rice, sugar, etc. Usually they are not very expensive, and you can throw them in the dishwasher if they needed it!

February 14, 2013 at 9:47 am
  12. Suzanne Davis

I love Lazy Susan’s. It is a must in my spice cabinet. So wonderful not having to pull all my spices out to find the perfect one.

February 13, 2013 at 8:45 pm
  13. amylou61

I use canning jars of all sizes to store rice, loose tea, spices, and other dry goods. They keep foods fresh, and they look nice enough to leave out on the countertop. They are also inexpensive. I use them for leftovers in the fridge as well. They don’t stain like plastic containers.

February 13, 2013 at 8:01 am
  14. Patricia

I bought one of the white plastic stairstep spice racks and arranged my spices in alphabetical order so that I can easily find them when I need them–no more taking everything out of the cabinet to find something I need.This saves me time and aggravation.

February 13, 2013 at 7:33 am
  15. Jen

I like chalkboard paint labels – that way, if I change my mind about what to keep in a container, I can easily re-label it.

February 12, 2013 at 9:36 pm
  16. Jessica Jack Wyrick

Here in the South, we thankfully are never in short supply of Mason jars – and I play that bounty TO THE HILT. At the end of every canning season, when jars and lids go on sale, I stock up so I can organize EVERY LITTLE THING in my kitchen with jars of all sizes. Occasionally, I even run across some older, larger blue-tinted jars in thrift stores, and these have a special place in my kitchen (and my heart!). I’m like a crazy cat lady – except with Mason jars. :P

Smaller Mason jars are used to store spices, which are magnetically attached to the side of the fridge. Mid-sized jars (in addition to storing pickled goods and preserves) hold: our bacon drippings; single-servings of soup; spare change for bus fare; pre-chopped herbs, fruits, and vegetables; and more. Large jars serve as miniature herb terrariums for kitchen cooking, and for turning my baking goods (flour, chocolate chips, etc.) and my coffee and tea into attractive display items for our floating kitchen shelves.

I also label some of my Mason jars with clear sticky labels that look like old apothecary jar labels, or the ever-awesome chalkboard paint and liquid neon chalk pens, to further organize and beautify my pantry, shelves, and fridge. :)

February 12, 2013 at 2:36 pm
  17. Abbie

Stack/nestle pots, pans, tupperware,etc…

February 11, 2013 at 11:27 am
  18. lisa mcfarland

we have labelled the shelves in the pantry with what items go on which shelves, plus my husband made a spice shelf that fits on the inside of the pantry door so that all of the spices are facing us and much easier to find

February 11, 2013 at 10:37 am
  19. tiffanymm

I have a really small galley kitchen and I live with another lady. We both love to bake and host parties for our friends so we have a lot of platters and other dishes. To keep everything organized, we bought some of those underthe cabinet shelves so we could lift up some of the dishes allowing lighter things like tupperwares to fit underneath. Everyone knows the party always ends up in the kitchen so better have things as easy to access as possible.

February 11, 2013 at 9:15 am
  20. wanda

Living within 10 miles of Crate & Barrel I have never once visited the store since I heard that they are very expensive and being the recipient of such beautiful mixing bowls would make me want to cook something just so I could use them.

February 11, 2013 at 12:40 am
  21. Heather

My best kitchen organizing tip is using a tension rod under the sink to hang spray cleaners. This doubles the sink storage space!

February 10, 2013 at 7:02 pm
  22. Calli

I don’t have my own kitchen yet, but I am planning on using open shelving which will force me to only keep the things I need and use and be bale to display them nicely.

February 10, 2013 at 2:12 pm
  23. stacy

My best kitchen organizing tip: I have a small kitchen, so space is at a premium. I only buy stackable mixing bowls (like the Crate and Barrel set) and storage tupperware to keep my cabinets organized!

February 10, 2013 at 11:56 am
  24. Dawn

I love to organize more than I like cleaning! My best kitchen organizing tip is every kitchen tool, pot, pan, mixer, food processor, etc. should ALWAYS be put back after use in their same spot each time. When my husband or kids empty the dishwasher, it’s a different story!

February 10, 2013 at 7:34 am
  25. Karen Peters McCall

I am the least organized person I know. I have bought airtight containers for flour, sugar, tea, coffee, etc. and I am using them! My family want to send someone to help me get organized. I would love that.

February 9, 2013 at 11:14 am
  26. William Possibilist Weston

Glass jars with hermetic seals for dry goods to maintain freshness.

February 9, 2013 at 10:20 am
  27. Lindsay Hobbs

Plastic containers with labels for just about everything!

February 9, 2013 at 8:56 am
  28. JMW

My daughters learned to bake in part because of their membership in 4-H.
    Very early on in their lives, I put all of my baking supplies — from brownie mixes to extracts to decorating sugars and everything between — into one cabinet. Then I put all the cookie cutters, cake pans and mixing bowls into another lower cabinet that was easy for them to reach.
    This gave them the confidence to bake on their own — with just a little adult oversight that mostly involved helping to put things in the oven — from a very young age.
    Today they are both accomplished bakers who enjoy sharing the fruits of their labors with others.

February 8, 2013 at 10:57 pm
  29. Amber Peckens

I love to cook freezer meals at least once a month! So I have a dedicated notebook with all the recipes I can freeze and keep a monthly list on my freezer with all my meals and meat that I have frozen. So when we use a meal it gets crossed off. I then created a menu board that helps organize my meals for the week. So every Sunday I go thru what meals I have on hand and what days we may be at a party or out to eat, and fill the menu board. This keeps our meals organzied and saves us so much money since we are less likely to order out!

February 8, 2013 at 10:03 pm
  30. Jennifer S

For me, the biggest thing is to clean out the fridge, freezer and pantry on a fairly consistent basis because I’m always amazed at what gets hidden (and thus forgotten!).

February 8, 2013 at 7:07 pm
  31. Christina Lumsden

I’m not organized at all, but I did see some of the other’s comments and they have some ideas I’m going to try!!!

February 8, 2013 at 5:55 pm
  32. Patricia A. Hoffmeister

I just wish I was an organized person. One of my daughters-in-law would love to have an organizer come in and organize all my “stuff.”

February 8, 2013 at 4:14 pm
  33. Ann Wright

The best thing I’ve done is coral my plastic containers — you know, sandwich containers, soup, leftovers — into a kitchen drawer. They are stacked according to size. Now we can get to anyone we want without the avalanche!

February 8, 2013 at 10:39 am
  34. Shannon Roberts

I grew up learning how to cook under the arm of my great aunt. She was known in town for her pies and chicken salad. She was a woman of meager means and devoted all of her time to her family. When she passed away, the most valuable thing she owned, in my eyes, were here cooking utensils and bowls. I was so blessed to be given many of the items out of her kitchen. Every time I pull out an item, I get to take a little trip back in history to those safe and happy days in her tiny kitchen.

I have an 18-year-old daughter that has developed a love for baking. She was the last of the generations that my great aunt was able to babysit. My daughter was her pride and joy. I know that my Aunt Dot is proudly looking down and smiling her little shy smile every time my daughter steps into the kitchen. One of the most prized possessions that I received from my Aunt Dot was a set of white porcelain mixing bowls. There’s no telling how old they are. One Sunday after church, my daughter was carrying one of the mixing bowls into the house when it slipped out of her hands and shattered on our brick porch. My poor daughter was devastated. My heart still breaks to this day as I remember looking out the window seeing her down on the porch weeping over the broken pieces of this special bowl.

Now that there is only one of the bowls left from the set, my daughter refuses to use it. I would love to give her a new set of mixing bowls. A set that she can take with her to college in August. A set that she can use without the fear of breaking it. These bowls are in bright, new colors that she can use for years and years. Who knows, maybe she’ll pass them on to her future generations…just like Aunt Dot.

February 8, 2013 at 9:39 am
  35. Virginia Coffey

I use plastic containers with tight fitting lids to store items, such as oatmeal, grits, rice. I cut the cooking instructions from the package and tape it to the top of the plastic container lid. Its easy to remove before washing and saves lots of time looking for the instructions

February 8, 2013 at 9:38 am
  36. Amanda Gerner

My best friend Amy has helped me more than any could ever ask for. When my mother got really sick, she would come help take care of her and help me organize our cluttered house. She is my best organizing tip! She had me decide what we use most in the kitchen so it would be in the parts of our terrible cupboards we could reach without a stool. She even crawled inside some of our cupboards with tiny doors I can hardly see in so we could organize in them. She discussed it with her husband and they agreed to put her whole life on hold two weeks in Dec 2011 to help me get my mother home from a very serious surgery. She is still in a hospital bed that Amy helped me get in the house. We had to put the lighter easy to make things in the front of the cupboards my mother could reach herself so she could get some lunch while I was at work. Since we really don’t have many cupboards, all the pots and pans went on a rolling cart in the kitchen so they were easily accessible. I thank God every day for the time I have with my mother and the friendship and help Amy has given me and my family.

February 8, 2013 at 9:24 am
  37. knitnonpareil

I admit, if I had any kitchen organizing tips, I’ve forgotten them. I just don’t know how people do it!

February 8, 2013 at 8:36 am
  38. Janet

I place all my baking tools – bowls, measuring cups and spoons, grater, pastry cutter, etc. – next to my dry baking ingredients – flour, sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, etc. in a cupboard so I can just pull a few additions from the refrigerator and start baking when the mood strikes.

February 8, 2013 at 7:44 am
  39. Dawn Yurkiewicz

I am lucky in this kitchen to have a small pantry. But since it’s so small, it gets cluttered up quickly. I have made it a habit to go through everything every quarter to check for expired items to clear space. This is a must with older children who bring things home,eat one item out of a box and forget it! I also have blank walls on either side. So I hung 3M hooks in rows to hold pans and baking gadgets that are not used that often. Frees up my drawer space for the items used more often, and lets me see things at a glance. But when company comes, I can just close the door!

February 8, 2013 at 5:58 am