We’re Giving Away the Classic Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer

February 28, 2013 | By and | Comments (397)

kitchenaid mixer m Were Giving Away the Classic Kitchen Aid Stand MixerChances are, you have several childhood memories that involve a Kitchen-Aid stand mixer.

And, chances are that if you’re married – it’s one of the first things you added to your registry. Needless to say, the Kitchen Aid Mixer is a kitchen icon and we are giving away one, $329.99 Classic Series 4.5 quart mixer in white – a timeless shade that will go with any kitchen and mixing bowl!

In order to win, tell us your favorite memory baking with your mom or grandmother.

The contest begins February 1st and ends February 28th. Click here for official rules.

COMMENTS

1. William Possibilist Weston

Not too many memories of baking with my mom or grandmothers, but always going to my great aunt’s house and making homemade biscuits and red eyed gravy. She was very particular about how to shape the center of flour to accept the liquids. Always the best breakfast and cherished memories more than 30 years later.

February 28, 2013 at 9:12 am
  2. Karen Logan

I remember my grandma making chocolate chess pie in a cast iron pan. She was the cook I will never be, but she had one of these stand mixers and I have always wanted one. So I would be very happy to win this.

February 28, 2013 at 9:12 am
  3. Lisa Goins

I stayed with my maternal grandmother a lot when I was little. She was always cooking. She had 5 children and 9 grandchildren and stepgrandchildren plus great grandchildren. There was always a pie or cake and bread. There was always canning and pickling and starters in the kitchen. She had Alzheimer’s for a very long time and got to where she could no longer cook and then she was no longer able to live at home. She passed away a few years ago but even now, when I go into that kitchen that nobody uses anymore, I can still see her cooking or planning a meal or a room full of family ready to say a prayer and eat.

February 28, 2013 at 9:12 am
  4. Vanessa Fleming

My great grandmother, grandmother, 2 of my aunts and my mom all cooking together at my grandma Bradley’s kitchen one Christmas eve. It was the last time they all were in the same kitchen cooking and baking for the whole family. It was a small country kitchen with the old enamel kitchen table serving as the center of attention for all the mixing and cooling of their Christmas meal goodies. I wish someone had taken pictures because it really looked like something Norman Rockwell would have painted. I only have the memories of that day but, they are wonderful ones that I share with my children. I have now lost all but the 2 aunts that were there that day making a delicious meal for all to enjoy.

February 28, 2013 at 9:11 am
  5. Phillip Childress

My best memories of cooking with my mom are from Thanksgiving – making grocery lists, going to the store, then cooking for hours… watching Mama cook dishes like chicken and dressing that she can prepare from memory without hardly even measuring ingredients, while I’m trying out some new recipes I’ve found (usually from Southern Living). We always end up with way more food than we need but getting to that point is what’s awesome!

February 28, 2013 at 9:11 am
  6. Shanda Hentschel

I used to love to watch my mom make wedding cakes. She would have 10+ cakes laying all over the kitchen. She always cut a thin layer off of all the tops of the cakes for even stacking and my sister and I would sit at the table and eat the scraps! Yummy!!

February 28, 2013 at 9:11 am
  7. Jo Ann Bertelsman

I watched my grandma make peanut squares..baked homemade yellow cake,it was then frozen,cut in squares,iced with a thin buttercream icing on 5 sides then dipped in crushed peanuts. They were so messing but so good. 2 months ago I helped make them with my mom for her church bazaar. Now as far as passing it down to my son..I can only say he loves to eat them.

February 28, 2013 at 9:09 am
  8. Kathy Needham

I loved making sugar cookies with my mom at Christmas time. We would always decorate them and it was quite the tradition.

February 28, 2013 at 9:09 am
  9. Patty

I’ve enjoyed baking as far back as I can remember. All the way back to my easy-bake in the 70′s. But I would consider any time I bake with my twin boys, who are now 4, the most memorable. One of them is particularly interested in “helping” in every way. He often comes to me at very random times and asks, “Mommy, how do you make cookies again?”, or, “what’s in a cake?”. He’s eager to step out on his own!

February 28, 2013 at 9:08 am
  10. Becky Johnson

Over the years I have become the family baker, baking cakes and cupcakes for birthdays, special occasions etc. My most memorable baking experience was last saturday when my granddaughter and I spent the day in the kitchen experimenting with cupcakes and what happens when you add things to the batter (peeps, jelly beans, rolos, reeces pieces, etc) it was wonderful to watch her excitement as we tried different ideas. I think we may have found the next family baker!! Having the pleasure of passing along the love of something that has given me great joy over the years is a real blessing.

February 28, 2013 at 9:08 am
  11. Jaclyn Cole

My favorite baking memory is with my grandparents. Each year, since I was five, we gathered together before Christmas and made a TON of different Christmas cookies. When I was little, we used to make thousands! Now that my grandfather is 95, we’re still doing the tradition. Even though we only make around 50 cookies each year, it’s still so great to get together with family and hear my grandparents World War II stories. Certainly a memory I won’t forget — and one I hope to pass on to my children and grandchildren!

February 28, 2013 at 9:08 am
  12. lulu raco

I started off at 5 years old asking for an easybake oven. I often mixed the little cakes with my mothers kitchen aid mixer, it became a Tuesday night tradition, and as I grew, I graduated to pound cakes & real layer cakes, but we always used the Kitchenaid mixer & many arguments brewed over which one of my brothers got the bowl or the beater. I always won though, because I made them with my beautiful mother, and we are still baking together, 40 years later.

February 28, 2013 at 9:08 am
  13. Lisa Merten

My favorite baking memory involves my mom, an angel food cake pan and a photo. My first birthday cake was an angel food cake and every birthday since (all 46 of them) involves me looking at my first birthday photo and angel food cake. The photo shows my Mom standing behind me in her chic ’67 flip haircut holding me while i stuck my fingers into that angel food cake. My mom looks so young, happy and content. We have bonded over many things in now almost 47 years, however, whenever i see an angel food cake, I always think of my mom.

February 28, 2013 at 9:08 am
  14. Marnie Bell-Ferguson

I didn’t really grow up with the fortune of baking with either of my Grandmothers. But, I can remember driving in for the holidays to my Nana’s house in Oklahoma City and being welcomed with the smells of a kitchen in action! Lemon-coconut balls and other sweet treats graced the buffett cabinet. She was never shy of keeping holiday desserts away from her grandchildren. I also remember her cornbread and how my Papa would crumble up the leftovers in a big glass mug and pour buttermilk over it for a night time snack.

Visiting my Granny in El Paso, TX was also a treat and she made the best pineapple upside down cake and this snack called “Food of the Gods”! It would just melt in your mouth and finish with the crunch of mixed nuts. Years later, I would receive a cookbook called “Granny’s Favorite Recipes”. I still use that book and will pass down to my boys for their use. Cooking is a family tradition for many families. Memories associated with food is an universal love. We are so blessed to have the opportunity to reflect on family gatherings and food is always involved. I wish I had more kitchen time memories, but the food and the love is there no matter. My boys now share making cookies with their Mimi (my Mom) and we recently made our first chocolate cake together. They so proudly topped it with chocolate frosting and marshmallows and insisted on photos, so I now have carried the tradition of loving memories of food with my children. Memories like these are sacred.

February 28, 2013 at 9:07 am
  15. Donna Howell

Sorry.. I would of loved to be able to bake with my grand but, she passed away when I was little. My dad & mom worked so the only time I got to cook was in the morning before school, mom would get me up to help with breakfast. My mom did not include me to much in the other baking process. I got one of her cookbooks one day and started to learn on my own. I did not know what folding of egg whites was and I ruined a cake.. My mom was furious with me about wasting all the ingredients to do it.. I did not try that any more. But, I have went on to enter contest and win with some of my recipes.

February 28, 2013 at 9:07 am
  16. Margaret Atwood

New year’s eve, our parents were going out, but my brother and I got to stay home with the babysitter and decorate lemon cookies! We helped make the cookies and the icing, which we colored to celebrate the special occasion. We got to stay up late that night, and it was like Mom and Dad were celebrating with us when we ate our masterpieces!

February 28, 2013 at 9:07 am
  17. Kim Landers

I’ve spent many many hours in the kitchen watching my Mama cook. She is a wonderful cook just like my Grandmama and I hope I can carry on the tradition of making a house a home with lots of homecooked meals!

February 28, 2013 at 9:07 am
  18. Amy B.

Watching my grandmother make peanut butter roll with her Kitchen Aid!

February 28, 2013 at 9:06 am
  19. TINA POLSON

my memories was standing in a chair watching my moma & grandma cooking, especially making homemade banna pudding from scratch, & one they made up cake with home made dip, but they did’t have a mixer they mixed with their hands, & I was always in a mess when we got thru.

February 28, 2013 at 9:06 am
  20. Deborah Figg

My mom made the best pound cakes ever. We were raised on a farm so we had our own fresh milk and eggs and my mom made butter as well. Her cakes were divine. One morning I was up early and she and I made a pound cake and I got the batter bowl and spoon when she but the cake in the oven. When the cake was done, she sat it to cool on a wire rack and she went to the barn to milk the cows and feed the animals. As the cake cooled I could not resist cutting it. Somehow at the age of 8 I didn’t think she would miss anything so I cut the top completely off the cake (which was my favorite part) and ate it all! When she returned, she wasn’t extremely happy but said in a quiet voice, go gather the eggs. :)

February 28, 2013 at 9:06 am
  21. Veronica Anna Berstler

My Grandmother who raised me, was a wonderful baker… she could fix up a wonderful Apple goodie that was just to ‘ die ‘ for… we’d get out the mixer, flour up her old red topped kitchen table and make a tasty mess. Flour everywhere, us in aprons, the smells of apple and cinn. and she put on tons of Real butter, her idea of a dot was, A Lot…. I loved it when we baked and still do today… Oh and Yes I still make a mess with the flour, is that not half of the fun???

February 28, 2013 at 9:06 am
  22. Jewel

My favorite memory I have with my mom is when she taught me and my best friend how to make lasagna from scratch. She took us to the grocery store to buy all of the ingredients. We went home and she sat us down in her kitchen and guided us through the steps on how to make it. It’s still one of my favorite dishes to make.

February 28, 2013 at 9:06 am
  23. Mary Anne Thomas

Well, my most memorable was actually with my daughter just this past Christmas. She was trying to make her delicious pecan sandies, and everything just seemed to go wrong at first! She didn’t have a couple of the ingredients with her (they were at her home), so she had to run out to the store and left me chopping pecans and mixing away! Then she got back and her younger sister wanted to help, until she saw how much work was involved, so I was the real helper! She finally got them baked and packed up for gift-giving, all this about midnight Christmas Eve!

February 28, 2013 at 9:05 am
  24. Sharon C.

My mom wasn’t really a baker but I loved making cupcakes with her. I usually did all the cleaning up! I would have loved to use and clean up this mixer! What a great kitchen essential!

February 28, 2013 at 9:05 am
  25. Lisa

My mom taught me how to bake when I was a little girl. Soon, she thought I was old enough to bake on my own, so I made ginger snaps. Later, when she took a bite, she bit into something hard. “Lisa, what did you put in these cookies?” she asked. I thought hard, confused myself at what had gone wrong. “Cloves,” I realized. Mom laughed hard and then taught me the difference between whole and ground cloves :)

February 28, 2013 at 9:05 am
  26. Megan Johnson

First time my mother allowed me to turn on the kitchen aid full of flour, she knew exactly what would happen but allowed me to enjoy the hysterical excitement of covering the kitchen and being covered in flour!

February 28, 2013 at 9:05 am
  27. Kim Krause

My grandmother had the most beautiful pink kitchen. All her appliances and her sink were pink. My grandparents had a small house, but my grandmother made it grand. My grandmother was a clean freak, no matter what you did and no matter who did it, she would go back over and re-clean what someone else had skillfully attempted to appease her with. My sister and I were eleven months apart, so I am thinking we were most likely hand full. My parents were very, very young when they had us, therefore my grandmother was a young grandmother. Now every little girl wants to grow up and be just like their grandmother and have the most beautiful kitchen and make the most delicious food. My grandmother had put us ALL down for a nap; I think we exhausted her. Now of course I thought I was too old for such trivial things as a nap. So I got up and went into the kitchen and drag a chair over to the kitchen counter and decided that I was going to bake us all a nummy treat, just like my grandmother always did. So I got the flour and the sugar and the eggs and the sifter and the bowl and started to create the biggest mess in the history of my grandmothers kitchen. There was a snowy white coating all over my grandmothers lovely pink kitchen; I had sifted into a mayhem of pure delight. My grandmother never let me forget the day I delightfully destroyed her kitchen, but it never stopped me for cooking and baking. Since my parents hated to cook, and they always happily let me take over the kitchen any time I wanted to; my grandmother not so much. I still, to this day, attribute my life long love of cooking and baking to my adoration for my grandmothers cooking and baking and her beautiful pink kitchen.

February 28, 2013 at 9:04 am
  28. Rachel Lambert

This is the best story ever! My mother and I were making pecan thumbprint cookies. It was during Christmas time and the kitchen was very warm, so we had the door open with only the screen door shut. We had the cookies in the oven and the smell must have gone out the door and up a squirrels nose, to make him mad with desire. Next thing you know we here a loud noise on the screen door and it’s the squirrel! He’s spread out across the screen with his claws dug in! It was hilarious. He smelled the nuts roasting in the oven and came running! Poor little guy. He stayed for awhile and we just laughed and laughed. Best memory ever!

February 28, 2013 at 9:00 am
  29. Erin Bressler

My favorite baking memories with my grandmother were bittersweet. I grew up learning to cook, sew, and plant a garden from her. These are skills that I am so glad I have now as many people my age do not have any of them. In the last years of her life, she developed Alzheimer’s disease and slowly the disease took from her all the memories of what she used to know … including many of her baking recipes. My mother and I would go over to her place and help her bake cookies for my younger brothers. Now, as I prepare to get married next year, I (like many other brides) will be dreaming about a Kitchenaid mixer to complete my newlywed kitchen. Maybe I can teach my groom and future children the same old recipes!

February 28, 2013 at 9:00 am
  30. Michael G.

As a young boy in Appalachia, I’d spend many summer mornings scouring the woods for berries and haul buckets of them home for my grandmother to make great pies, cobblers, and jams. Delicious stuff.

February 28, 2013 at 8:59 am
  31. Tracie

My favorite baking memory brings me back to the very first time I baked a cake. I was 10 years old. My mother was a wonderful baker and she did so every Saturday night so that we could have a delicious cake after our Sunday dinner. I remember when my mother was taking out her hand mixer and I was watching her and realized that I wanted to bake a cake for the family that day. She said she had on her mind to bake a “Spice Cake”. She gave me the recipe and we both started on getting out all of the different spices and ingredients. Of course it was from scratch!!!. I loved measuring everything and she guided me throughout the process. It was delicious and I was praised by the whole family for my work of love through my loving mother’s hands and patience and delicious baker’s talent.

February 28, 2013 at 8:55 am
  32. Laura Merrill

My favorite family baking memories involve my great grandmother, Mimi, and her Christmas candy. Divinity, doo-dads, cheesestraws….it wasn’t Christmas until we made them!

February 28, 2013 at 8:54 am
  33. evieb

“Helping” my mom in the kitchen before Christmas. We always went to a store in a larger town and got all the baking stuff, including all the candied fruits for cookies and fruit cakes. I still don’t understand how a fruit cake could taste so bad with all that good sweet fruit in it. I know I was an active child (in todays world I would probably be a sedated child). My mother was very patient. She always had something I could do stir this, add the sugar to that, sort the candied fruit, always something for me to do. Usually at the top of the list was stop eating the candied fruit and leave the chocolate chips alone. I now look back and know that I was really not much help. However, being able to do that made my Christmas. A few years ago I finally made a pound cake like she did and it actually tasted like hers. I was so proud of myself and wished she were here to taste it.

February 28, 2013 at 8:49 am
  34. Robert Burlew

My mom and dad both shared in the duties of cooking, there was 6 of us kids – 3 boys, 3 girls. I always enjoyed helping dad fix evening dinners, but my best times were baking pies and cakes with mom. Out of the 6 kids, I was the one that didn’t care for chocolate, so when it came to desserts I always made sure I helped mom, that way I could choose things like strawberry pies, blackberry cobblers, and carrot cake. It wasn’t till we all were older that my brothers and sisters realized the reasoning behind me helping mom bake – no chocolate!!!! Love you mom, sorry brothers & sisters.

February 28, 2013 at 8:45 am
  35. Jill

My favorite baking memories with my Mom was at Christmas time, we would make spritz cookies and she wood let me use the press and we would have different type of sprinkles to put on top. It was a real treat because my Mom was a full time working Mom in the 60′s, my Father had lost his sight and in an era when most mom’s were at home, mine was the financial provider so baking was only done for special occasions so she always made the extra effort to make our Holidays special.

February 28, 2013 at 8:38 am
  36. Jennifer Kershner

Even though my mother was a great cook, she didn’t like to bake. But my dad’s mother, Mama Pete to us, loved to bake. My dad was in the air force and we moved alot. I would get so excited when we could visit Mama Pete who lived in an old farm house in Texas with a wash house in the back. She let me help her make biscuits. And they were the best things I ever tasted with her homemade jams. She showed me how to mix the dough, flatten it out and she always used a water glass to cut them out. I can still picture her and I sitting in her kitchen eating them hot out of the oven. She lived to be 100 yrs old and I wish I could see her again.

February 28, 2013 at 8:36 am
  37. Dorothy

One of my favorite recent memories of cooking with my mom is this past Christmas. Our family decided to have a pecan pie cookoff, so my sister, mom and I packed in the kitchen and compared (and criticized) notes and ingredients. The winner? A straightforward bourbon pecan pie, without the chocolate.

February 28, 2013 at 8:33 am
  38. Kayla

My grandmother and I always end up baking when I visit! My favorite memory is the first time she revealed to me her chocolate chip cookie recipe. She knows that they are my favorite and part of my going away to college she taught me how to make them. Now, every time I have a party or have guests over I always make them in her honor!

February 28, 2013 at 8:33 am
  39. mary ann

My mother was Irish and needless to say, our favorite was Irish Soda Bread which she taught me to make. I, in turn, taught my children. Most of our family and extended family love Soda Bread so it is a favorite and has become a tradition in this generation also.

February 28, 2013 at 8:33 am
  40. stacy w

My favorite baking memory was with my mother! One morning she taught me the art of crafting homemade bierocks (German, meat-filled pocket pastries). We whipped up a huge batch of dough in her stand mixer and let is rise. We then rolled out chunks of dough and stretched/stuffed each piece with the meat filling we had prepared. As you might imagine, this is a tedious task that took us the better part of the morning. After all were baked and their brown tops were buttered, we carefully placed them on the table to cool. My mother and I headed to the bathroom to wash up. Little did we know, my mother’s chocolate lab, Dexter, was waiting patiently outside to make a move, as the sweet dough smell trickled through the screen door. From the bathroom we heard some commotion. Dexter had used his nose to slide the screen door and had scarfed down more than a dozen of our precious bierocks before we could stop him!! Looking back it’s quite hysterical, but at the time, we were furious! That is a baking memory I will never forget!!

February 28, 2013 at 8:32 am
  41. Kat Slay

My Grandmother and I did a lot of baking growing up. My favorite memory was the day she gave me her recipe book which contained her pound cake recipe: our favorite thing to bake together.

February 28, 2013 at 8:31 am
  42. Jennifer Gibson

The year before my grandmother passed away, she had had a stroke and I knew that if I didn’t get her to show me how to make Thanksgiving dressing, it may not ever happen. Her mind was failing and things were going down hill for her. She was in good spirits that Thanksgiving and it was the first time that I had ever made the dressing. She sat in the kitchen with me and told me what to do. I wrote everything down as she told me. It was the first year I can ever remember that she didn’t make it herself at Thanksgiving, but it turned out pretty good. She passed away in October of the next year and I had to make it on my own then. I’ll never forget that time in the kitchen with her and think about her every Thanksgiving we sit down to eat her dressing. I have since perfected it and I think she would be very proud.

February 28, 2013 at 8:28 am
  43. Maureen C,

I remember when my mom would bake a cake from scratch each day for the family of eight. There were no boxed mixes back then. And with this family, no leftovers either! Pulling a chair over to the counter, my mom would let me stand on it and stir the batter. Always seemed like more flour everywhere when I helped!!??!

February 28, 2013 at 8:21 am
  44. kathleen

homemade cakes & frostings

February 28, 2013 at 8:18 am
  45. MinnesotaFromScratch

The only person that ever had a kitchen aid while I was growing up was my great grandma. She is also the only person that did any baking with me during my childhood. My cousin and I have great memories surrounding the kitchenaid mixer which mostly include Christmastime. My grandma is the ideal grandma like you see in the movies with the cute apron, perfectly cleaned home, and was a dream-like host. Christmas was her favorite holiday too so she’d go all out. She’d make at least twelve different types of cookies and we’d get to help! Good memories.

February 28, 2013 at 8:14 am
  46. Kelly E.

My grandma always had “signature” items – those being: pizza, chocolate chip cookies, and raisin cookies. My greatest memory is cooking pizza with her in a small kitchen with pretty great light, looking back. She made a thick, bread-like crust from a packet, and then topped it with a lot of sauce, and usually, cheddar cheese or a mix of cheddar and whatever else she had on hand. Sometimes there were topping like olives, but mostly what stands out is the sauce and the cheese. It was good, it was wholesome, but it was greasy! One time, us grand kids were at her house for pizza night (or really pizza afternoon as the sun was still high in the sky when we were eating), and we are all sitting around the table when we look down and see that the cat has decided to give birth to kitties right then and there. The cat bed was by the table (told you it was a small kitchen!), and here we are eating sloppy, greasy pizza while the cat goes wild giving birth jumping in and out of the bed, kittens on the kitchen floor, and meanwhile, we just sit there like nothing is happening, eating homemade pizza and wondering what the heck comes next. There were four kittens born that afternoon, and we ate our pizza, and witnessed the miracle of life all in one go. That’s how grandma rolled, though, and I wouldn’t trade that memory for the world!

February 28, 2013 at 8:12 am
  47. Dawn

My favorite memory of cooking with my mom is when she tried a new recipe. I’m not exactly sure what the recipe was but it turned out looking like a big, green cake with noodles! We continue to laugh about how that was a recipe went wrong!

February 28, 2013 at 8:11 am
  48. Gina DiVito

I always loved baking with my mother. Whether it was bread brownies, or Christmas cookies, we always had fun in the kitchen. During the holidays we baked dozens of cookies to give to teachers, friends & neighbors. Now that my mom is gone, I am hoping to pass on the tradition to my own children.

February 28, 2013 at 8:11 am
  49. Amy

Last night, I made my grandmother’s famous orange biscuits and every time I do, I am back in her kitchen..wobbling on the rickety step stool beside her. I can picture exactly where she stood – she always made biscuits on the side counter that held her KitchenAid mixer and containers of flour, sugar, and coffee.

Orange Biscuits are a regular Southern biscuit with a sugar cube dredged in orange juice concentrate stuck in the middle. When the heat hits that combination of sugar and orange juice, they melt together into something that merges bread and dessert. Just like finishing a meal with the extra biscuit mounded with butter and molasses.

I thought everyone had orange biscuits in their cooking repertoire. But I have yet to meet anyone else who had these growing up. I wish I could go back to standing beside her in the kitchen, covered in flour and ask her if she made up that recipe or was it passed down thru the family?

February 28, 2013 at 8:10 am
  50. Judydh

My favorite baking time with Mama was when she taught me to make the tea cakes we all loved,the big soft ones with Chocolate icing on them,and I taught her how to make a pound cake.. We loved baking together,and memories I’ll never forget,even if she’s no longer here ,I feel she is..

February 28, 2013 at 8:07 am