It’s no secret that we love all things Southern-made, but we get especially tickled when we find out that the textiles and products we’re crushing on come from our own hometown of Birmingham, Alabama.
Our latest discovery is Mary Catherine Folmar’s Cotton + Quill. A Southern belle with a penchant for travel, Mary Catherine combines her love of fine art and sketching to produce gorgeous custom textiles, stationery, and home decor goods.
Her 2013 Spring/Summer Collection—inspired by a study abroad trip to Taiwan and Hong Kong—features beautiful and intricate designs. From gardens and koi ponds to architectural details and painted murals, elements of Asian culture creep into the stitches of Mary Catherine’s textiles. The result is a line that’s bold yet neutral, combining distinct patterns with subdued hues.
Already at work on her Fall/Winter Collection (think old-world influences with colors such as terra cotta and eucalyptus) and planning an extension of Cotton + Quill to add outdoor textiles as well as a line of trims, tapes, and appliques, this ambitious Auburn grad is one to keep you eye on.
Check out the inspiration boards Mary Catherine put together featuring some of her most recent Cotton + Quill pieces and favorite decor looks:
A Breezy Floral Living Room
“Certainly fitting for this time of year,” says Folmar. Cotton + Quill’s own Terrace design and Mary McDonald’s rug collection for Patterson, Flynn & Martin both are beautiful takes on the classic floral motif.
Get the Look:
1. Chinese Screen II in Ash from Cotton + Quill’s 2013 Spring/Summer Collection
2. & 3. Terrace in Oyster from Cotton + Quill’s 2013 Spring/Summer Collection
4. Charlotte Slip Covered Wing Chair from Pizitz Home and Cottage
5. Garden of Persia Rug in Frost from Mary McDonald for Patterson, Flynn & Martin
Bold & Blue Bedroom
“Beautifully painted murals and wallpaper will always be dear to my heart,” says Folmar. “Wallpaper can completely change and instantly add interest to a room by just applying it to one wall. Pantone’s Blue Monaco made the cut for this board because it adds a sense of energy and freshness to the old world feel of the exquisite wallpaper.”
Get the Look:
1. Chinese Screen in French Blue from Cotton + Quill
2. Koi in Dusty Blue from Cotton + Quill
3. Octavius Tape in Bleu Marine from Mary McDonald for Schumacher’s
4. Koi in Dusty Blue from Cotton + Quill
5. Madame Wu applique in Bleu Marine from Mary McDonald
6. Chinese Screen Pillows from Cotton + Quill
7. Bedroom by Miles Redd featuring hand-painted wallpaper by De Gournay
Earthy Classic Sitting Room
“Stripes are like black—they simply never go out of style,” says Folmar. “This pattern is continuously used in design and is what I consider a classic and important element to incorporate in your home for a timeless look.”
Get the Look:
1. & 2. Koi in Flax from Cotton + Quill
3. French Linen in Flax Cotton + Quill
4. Terrace in Oyster Cotton + Quill
5. Seagrass Rug in Natural from Pizitz Home & Garden
6. Room on Trend by Janet Sea Interiors