100 Places To Eat Now – The Checklist

August 15, 2013 | By | Comments (38)

Where will you eat your next great meal? Here, I share my list of favorite restaurants both old and new in some of my most visited towns: 100 Places To Eat Now. This list is constantly evolving, so follow me on Twitter @jennifervcole to see where I’m eating next. How many of my favorite spots have you been to? Take the poll below to let me know.
Where to Eat Checklist

COMMENTS

1. Food Wine Fashion (@FoodWineFashion)

How can you not include The Spence in ATL???

August 15, 2013 at 8:43 pm
  2. Walt

The Admiral in Ashville…

August 16, 2013 at 1:43 am
  3. Dustin

Texas Tavern over The Homeplace in Roanoke???

August 16, 2013 at 7:48 am
  4. Wade

DC and Texas are not in the South.

August 16, 2013 at 8:25 am
  5. Brandi

The Homeplace in Catawba, VA—wayyy better than Texas Tavern

August 16, 2013 at 8:26 am
  6. Lauren

You have obviously never BEEN to Asheville. Tupelo Honey? It’s nothing compared to the gazillion incredible restaurants in this city.

August 16, 2013 at 8:41 am
  7. Steve Rogers

This looks to be a huge list of restaurants from PR companies in the southeast. The Admiral in Asheville and The Homeplace in Catawba should both be on this list. River and Rail? Come on.

August 16, 2013 at 8:50 am
  8. rl reeves jr

Miss Myra’s is in Cahaba Heights, not Vestavia.

August 16, 2013 at 10:03 am
  9. gail airhart

Don’t go to Toups Meatery…….way over rated & They served us & admitted that the duck was cooked the day before & reheated……do you know how NASTY it was……then gave us a hard time when we asked to have it taken off the bill…….b4 that they were nice as could be…..& complained why we didn’t say something….WE did…..we weren’t offered anything else except when they brought they bill.

August 16, 2013 at 11:06 am
  10. David

JT Reeves, Jr.: Most of Cahaba Heights was annexed into Vestavia back in 2005.

August 16, 2013 at 12:12 pm
  11. rl reeves jr

thanks for the headsup, always thought it was in unincorporated Jefferson Co.

August 16, 2013 at 12:15 pm
  12. Theresa Powell

Little Pigs Myrtle Beach 6102 Frontage Rd. Voted best on the beach 14 years straight. Amazing sauces.

August 16, 2013 at 12:18 pm
  13. Laura Knippel Ballantyne

You need to visit Gainesville, FL. So many really innovative and truly excellent locally owned restaurants there.

August 16, 2013 at 12:58 pm
  14. Kenneth

Etch in Nashville, TN should definitely be included.

August 16, 2013 at 1:42 pm
  15. Andrew

Your next spot should be Knox Mason in Knoxville, TN. Revitalizing a downtown food scene http://www.knoxmason.com.

August 16, 2013 at 2:26 pm
  16. LJP

You’ve obviously never visited Hattiesburg, MS! There are SEVERAL places that could go on the list and are much better than some I’ve tried on the list. We welcome you to Hattiesburg anytime you’d like to visit!

August 16, 2013 at 2:29 pm
  17. Guy

Kentucky is not in the South. Neither is much of Tennessee.

August 16, 2013 at 3:55 pm
  18. Peggy

Elizabeth’s Bywater, NOLA

August 16, 2013 at 7:15 pm
  19. “Southern Living” Checklist is Heavy on the Charleston | Holy City Sinner

[…] You can view the entire list here. […]

August 17, 2013 at 9:27 am
  20. SoHungryBlog

I would love if this list were formatted in map form! I see some road trips in my future …

— Caitlin

August 19, 2013 at 9:54 am
  21. Six Kentucky restaurants on Southern Living's '100 places to eat now' list including Proof, Seviche and 610 Magnolia | Insider Louisville

[…] one is the “100 Places to Eat Now” list, which apparently will be changing as reporter Jennifer V. Cole drifts across the […]

August 19, 2013 at 11:14 am
  22. Jennifer V. Cole

LJP, I’ve been to Hattiesburg many times, but would love your recommendations on your favorite places I should try.

August 19, 2013 at 4:14 pm
  23. Jennifer V. Cole

For those of you chiming in, thanks for all of the recs. I travel around a lot and make it to most parts of the South at some point within a year. But there are always spots that fall through the cracks–or need a more recent visit. Any suggestions you give, I promise I will hang onto them for my future travels.

August 19, 2013 at 4:17 pm
  24. Sam Meyer

Merroir in Topping, VA or its sister places (Rappahannock in Richmond, Rappahannock Oyster Bar in DC) are worth a journey.

August 19, 2013 at 4:53 pm
  25. Mary Ruth Phillips

Nothing in Savannah?

August 19, 2013 at 8:46 pm
  26. Dee Wolf

What happened to Local Roots in Roanoke? They are really walking their talk of S.O.L.E. Food: Sustainable, Organic, Local, Ethical AND Delicious.

August 19, 2013 at 10:30 pm
  27. Southern Living’s 100 Places To Eat Now. So, How Many Have You Visited?

[…] from checking off those little squares. So, naturally, we were pretty psyched when Southern Living released its list of the 100 restaurants to visit now in the […]

August 19, 2013 at 10:59 pm
  28. Cathy

Dallas restaurants are always so under rated! I travel extensively and always find that the restaurants here are better than most “highly rated” restaurants I visits. But amazingly, not one Dallas restaurant on the list. There are several from Houston so it isn’t the “Texas isn’t part of the south” argument.

August 20, 2013 at 8:11 am
  29. Alexis H.

Two glaring oversights: The Admiral in West Asheville, where I had one of the best meals of my life. And, DejaVu in Memphis, I go out of my way to get lunch here whenever I am within a two-hour drive — the definition of a diamond in the rough.

August 20, 2013 at 12:08 pm
  30. Stewart B.

Filet and Vine in Montgomery, AL. Best Meat plus Three (you only get two) around. And I’ve never lived in Montgomery so this is not from a homer. It is worth a stop for sure.

August 20, 2013 at 8:26 pm
  31. LHP

Next time your in Birmingham, be sure and try Ocean, Dyron’s Low Country or AVO. All are wonderful!

August 20, 2013 at 11:29 pm
  32. John

Texas, Tennessee and Kentucky are all in the South BTW.

If you’re only endorsing Restaurants in Charleston, you must have an aversion to travel…though you say you don’t. Summa Joes in Anderson, SC! Quirky pizzas and tapas made from mostly fresh local farms and dairies.

Ponte Vedra, FL…..Aqua Grille.

Skippers in Darien, GA off 17. THAT’S off the beaten path and their “Collards & Q” are what collards were truly made to eat with.

August 21, 2013 at 6:54 am
  33. Tiff

It seems you don’t eat in Dallas or San Antonio when you come to Texas…. Although there are lots of great restaurants in Houston, that’s not the only area of Texas with awesome grub! For example, In Dallas I would highly suggest trying Twisted Root Burger. Not only do they have interesting meat options for your burger, they make their own Root Beer (different flavor available every week), and their own from scratch Ice Cream for their floats. We’re talking burgers made by gourmet chefs, they are Amazing! Next, I would suggest trying out Lulu’s in San Antonio. It’s a greasy diner but they have great food and excellent Chicken Fried Steak. Follow that up with one of their GIANT Cinnamon Rolls and you will be coming back again & again. So, those two should be added to the list at a bare minimum. I travel all over Texas for my job so I get to try new restaurants pretty regularly and this just was NOT a good representation of good Texas Restaurants. sorry….

August 21, 2013 at 7:12 am
  34. Mandy

Nothing in Arkansas? Nothing?

August 21, 2013 at 11:45 pm
  35. Robin

Don’t miss: Etch and Flyte in Nashville or August in New Orleans.

August 22, 2013 at 6:41 am
  36. Southern Living names 100 Places to Eat Now | Sovereign Buckhead

[…] SouthernLiving.com for a slideshow of the 100 places to eat now or take a look at the checklist and compare the places you have visited and plates […]

August 22, 2013 at 12:58 pm
  37. Hugh Porter

You must try some of the places in Greenville SC.

August 24, 2013 at 6:23 am
  38. Peggy

I think you should try Sweetie Pies in Ga.

August 29, 2013 at 12:36 pm