Are You Thankful To Be Southern?

November 1, 2013 | By | Comments (10)
thankful Are You Thankful To Be Southern?

Graphic by Betsy McCallen Lovell

We are. We’re thankful for this amazing region, of the food, community, and pride of place we share. All year-long we love the South, and in November we’re kicking it up by calling out some of our favorite reasons.

To start things off, we’re offering up this graphic. Share it on your social networks to show your pride. And let us know: Why are you thankful to be Southern? We’ll share your stories throughout the month.

COMMENTS

1. Betty Burgess

I’m thankful to be Southern because this is the region of the country where children are “raised right.” They learn to say “m’am” and “sir” the day they learn to say “yes” and “no.” We teach manners, not just as a social grace but as a way of life. We learn to show respect for others and for things that matter, like the American flag, our elders, the military, our way of life. We learn the importance of laughter and the difference between humor and mockery. We appreciate sports and music and good food and beautiful table settings. We treasure our children and honor our elders. We make friendships that last a lifetime. We love hard and grieve deeply. We welcome new adventures. We treasure our past as we move forward into our future. We honor our traditions and adapt to change. We relish celebrations of any kind. We help our neighbors. We keep our feet on the ground and our eyes on the stars.

November 1, 2013 at 9:59 am
  2. WWilliam P Cochran

I’m thankful to be Southern for so many reasons but the number one reason is because being born Southern gave me a sense of place. I love my accent, I love my Mama, and I loved my Grandmother. I love those extra hot and humind southern nights. I love the going down to the forgotten coast where I can put my feet in the Gulf of Mexico and still find some of the old Florida of.my childhood.
    I love those cold January nights that make me wonder why in the world my ancestors settled in this part.of the world where the summers are so hot you cant breath and
    where the winters can be so cold you could greeze to death
    I love the South’s history and I celebrate the food parts of our history and I’m happy that we triumphed ober the bad.
    I love the fact that we move slow and talk even slower. I love Southern college football from Texas to Virginia and I’m thankful that I’ve been to have.been able ti visit many southern collegw football stadiums.
    Im thankful that all those that have gone before me now occupy sacred ground in the south and I’m thankful that one day I too will occupy that same Southern soil.

November 1, 2013 at 10:36 am
  3. Lauren Sanders

Grits, sweet tea, bbq, hot sauce, pimento cheese, cornbread, fried okra, bullfrogs and crickets singing on summer nights, sitting on front porches, striking up conversations with and nodding while driving to complete strangers, cotton fields, southern drawls, dialects, elbow grease, cooking with hamhock, respectful formalities such as ma’am and sir, gingham, cheerwine, bama jelly, RC Cola and moonpies, eating Granny’s cooking on Sundays, manners, giving babies two names, church on Sundays, tall tales, buying alcohol on Saturdays, grandeur, demonstrating love through food, nostalgia and preserving the past …. these are few of the reasons I’m proud to be Southern!

November 1, 2013 at 11:51 am
  4. Bonnie Braud

I have lived in Louisiana all my life. I have traveled and marveled at beautiful sights from Europe to Bora Bora, but the most beautiful sight is my home, my family, my state and my country. I love that we only have two seasons. I love that people come to Louisiana by the millions for our food and music. I love the way I was raised and the way I raised my children. We are not only Southern we are Cajun. We know manners. We know helping others whether they are your family or not. I love traveling the South because I know people we meet are going to be kind and generous. We love sharing our food and way of life. We love our children to a fault and love and respect our elders. I am 62 and still say Yes Ma’am and Yes Sir to everyone. Mama and Daddy are right forever. When they are gone we carry on their traditions to keep them close to our hearts. We put flowers on their graves for holidays, birthdays, anniversaries and All Saint’s Day. They are never forgotten. We have the utmost respect for our military but not politicians. I love a Southern conversation and great storytellers. I love the azaleas in the spring. I could never imagine living anywhere else. Southerners are so connected to the earth. No matter where you go you are never home until you are in the South. Southerners learn that others don’t see us the same way. We often see the expression on other’s faces when they hear our accents. I love my accent. A poll recently taken showed Louisiana residents the happiest of all 50 states. I know why and I’m not telling.

November 1, 2013 at 4:28 pm
  5. Debbie Curtman

Is there any other place?
    Sweet tea, men in wranglers and boots, ahhh gotta love that.
    When someone call’s you sweet heart or darlin, and not taking offense, saying please and thank you, yes mam and no sir are the norms.
    I love that we give directions by landmarks rather than by miles. We say hello and have a good day and mean it. We give long hugs and real hand shakes, “not those limp fish things”.
    I am proud to be from the south “Oklahoma”, I love my God, my country, my family and lastly my accent y’all.

November 1, 2013 at 5:57 pm
  6. Catherine Malone Wilson

Why do I love the South? I do believe you have to be born and raised here to truly understand what it means to be southern. It’s front porches and rockin’ chairs, perfect for listening to your grandmama or granddaddy tell all those family stories and tall tales. It’s sweet iced tea “the way my mama makes it”. It’s cane fishin’ poles and ponds full of brim, just beggin’ to be caught and fried up for supper. It’s running out of the house Saturday mornin’, screen door slamming behind you….gathering up all your friends and running from house to house and creek to creek all day, the only requirement being to “stay in hollerin’ distance”. It’s heading to Panama City every single summer and never ever getting bored of going to that same beach motel and eating at Captain Anderson’s. It’s getting so excited that fall is finally here, ’cause that means two things……..football and huntin’ season! It means you pretty much have to declare your college football allegiance at birth. And heaven help “the house divided”! It’s knowing that taking a casserole is the proper response for everything – a birth, a death, or anything in between. It’s knowing that when “Grandaddy” calls for “the Family” to get together, unless you are 6 feet under ground you darn well better be there. It’s pearls with linen dresses or jeans. It’s catching lightening bugs and putting them in mason jars. It’s Thanksgiving with so many relatives that you have to have several tables, and “kids’ tables”, to fit everyone and all the food. It’s respecting your elders, yes ma’am and yes sir, even when you’re 50 and your parents are almost 80. It’s knowing pretty much every cousin in your family that is still living and breathing……..for me, when you take it all together, if I tried to put it in one word…….to me, the South means FAMILY.

November 1, 2013 at 6:28 pm
  7. Angela Young Robinson

I love the south because to me the south means grace. True southern grace, love, and compassion that we have for our fellow man, our homes, and our ancestry. You never have to wonder where you belong in the south. You just know, it’s instinct, it’s in your blood…and you can spot another Southerner fifty yards away no matter what part of the world you happen to meet.

November 2, 2013 at 3:59 am
  8. Jacquie

No other place can you find the Food, smiles, hospitality or even weather Here you can experience the kind of weather you like in most weeks if you don’t like it today it’s sure to change in the next day😊

November 2, 2013 at 8:58 am
  9. Dawn Burns

I am very thankful to be Southern! Being Southern is a way of life-it’s grace, charm, hospitality, traditions, history, and everything fried! I take so much pride in this beautiful area of our country!

November 7, 2013 at 8:34 am
  10. Eugenia Hill

I love the Southern accent, the social graces that come naturally and the even attitude about everything. We don’t scream at each other–we “bless their hearts” and oh, the food! Black-eyed peas are NOT cow fodder…they are the stuff that Sunday dinners are made of. There’s nothing like being a southern lady–pearls and all.

November 7, 2013 at 5:21 pm