We all know no one does style quite like a Southern woman.
That’s why today we give our thanks for the wonderful women who not
only raised us, but taught us how to be stylish. Here, a few of our
favorite reader-submitted images from our new “Wow to Now” column. Who: Gladys Chapman, grandmother of Jerilyn James Lee
Where: Houma, Louisiana
1) Fur vest — If your grandmother hasn’t passed down her mink coat, get the look without breaking the bank with a Vero Moda faux fur vest ($105).
2) Textured tresses—For hair that is full and bouncy use Bumble and Bumble’s Pret-a-Powder ($26).
3) Defined eye—This eyeliner from Buxom ($19) can be used to create a defined, clean line for daytime, and a smoky eye at night.
Who: Mary Dale and George Rader, grandparents of Meredith Christians
Where: Washington, D.C.
1) Ivory peacoat — Refresh the peacoat look by picking one in a light hue like this one from J.Crew ($365).
2) Dainty hair pins —Embellished pins, like these from Antropologie ($18) give you a vintagey pulled-back look that still feels modern.
3) Dark nails — This season, dark smoky grays are the color to flaunt on your tips. Marc Jacobs’ Evelyn #144 ($18) is a solid choice.Who: Tommie Shields, mother of Lana Sonoda
Where: New Orleans, Louisiana
1) Leather gloves — Add black leather gloves to almost any cool-weather ensemble for a
polished—and warm—look. We love this buckle-adorned pair from Micheal Kors ($145).
2) Sheer gloss — With a gloss as
sheer as Neutrogena’s lip gloss in Berry Fit ($7.99), you can select a
3) Pearls — Whether it’s your mother’s heirloom string of pearls or costume
earrings like these from Kate Spade ($48), rest assured pearls
will never go out of style.
Send vintage pics of your most fashionable family members to firstname.lastname@example.org for a chance to be featured. We’d especially love to see your moms and grandmas looking fab in holiday pics!