Sip & Flip Book Club: Long Man

January 9, 2014 | By | Comments (28)
Long Man by Amy Greene

Long Man by Amy Greene; Photo: Chris Ellenbogen

This month, we dove into Long Man, the second novel from Southern author Amy Greene. This story of love, loyalty, and often-complex relationships had us hooked from the first page to the last. So, sit down a spell with your book club and discuss this month’s Sip & Flip selection with a little help from this brief 5 question reading guide. You’ll still have plenty of time to enjoy our Sip & Flip Party Menu and minglewe all know that’s the best part!

5 Question Reading Guide

1. How does Greene inflect her descriptions of nature—from the humming cicadas and pine trees to the murky caves and ruddy clay of the earth—to tell the troubled history of the region’s landscape?

2. The title of the novel most clearly refers to the river that is about to flood Yuneetah. But what are some other interpretations of what—or who—Long Man is? Does it ever become a character in its own right? Is it mostly a source of good or harm, as it clearly was for James and his family?

3. Trace the connections and loyalties—both intact and broken—between the generations of female characters in the novel. How do these relationships between mothers and daughters propel the plot and affect women’s interactions with men, especially those in power?

4. Ellard thinks that Yuneetah “had never been of much concern to outsiders” (p. 133). How does Greene establish the time period and economic/social circumstances of the Depression crippling the nation at large, while maintaining that insular focus on the town and these few days? What does Amos contribute to that context that another character might not be able to as effectively?

5. How are Annie Clyde’s and Yuneetah’s struggles to keep the land as it is similar to and different from contemporary environmental issues, including fracking and flood/storm damage?

What new book release are you looking forward to most this year? Share with us in the comments below for a chance to win copies for your book club of Long Man signed by Amy Greene. The contest begins today and ends Thursday, February 23. Official rules here.

COMMENTS

1. Laura Russell

I enjoyed Bloodroot and have really been looking forward to Long Man.

January 23, 2014 at 5:32 pm
  2. Sandra L, Ledbetter

Both of Greene’s books sound interesting. I love to read.

January 23, 2014 at 8:30 am
  3. Emily Davenport

Long Man is one of my must-reads for 2014! This and her previous novel Bloodroot are set near our hometown in East Tennessee. Amy is a delightful person and a tremendously talented author. I can’t wait to read it.

January 22, 2014 at 8:34 am
  4. Kelly J.

Thank-you Southern Living, this is a new author for me. Cannot wait to share with my Book Club. Sip & Flip is a fabulous idea and I do enjoy getting to the back of SL magazine to read Rick Bragg’s piece (Guess that is why I started from the back this month.)

January 21, 2014 at 1:32 pm
  5. Joyce Miller

Can’t wait to read the Long Man.

January 20, 2014 at 12:42 pm
  6. Sybil Barber

My book club is reading The Invention of Wings this month and would love to read Long Man for our next selection! We rotate meeting and would enjoy the Flip and Sip Menu to go along with the book. Our group of women range in age from 50 – 85. We love southern writers. Sybil Barber

January 19, 2014 at 7:21 am
  7. Michele Dilbeck

I belong to a book club and I’m always looking for a great book for when I host. Love the fact that the author is from the south and that you offer a menu that will compliment the story! Would love to have a signed copy of the book.

January 18, 2014 at 4:44 pm
  8. Hewitt Ryan

Just found out about Sip & Flip. Please include me in your drawing for Long Man.
    Hewitt Ryan

January 18, 2014 at 4:36 pm
  9. Cindy Schwarz

“Bloodroot” was uncanny, stupendous, and deliciously readable. Good for Amy Greene for writing a superb story! I cannot imagine how she could top it in “Long Man” but am itching to know and read. Help me win!

January 18, 2014 at 3:02 pm
  10. Joann grimmer

I am so looking forward to Amy Greene’s new book, Long Man. Our bookclub would so love to have it in our collection.

January 17, 2014 at 5:54 pm
  11. Paula Talmud

I enjoy reading anything that has to do with southern cultlure. Thank you.

January 17, 2014 at 1:14 pm
  12. Deb

I’m most excited about the release of Long Man by Amy Greene! It will be my pick when my turn comes for our book club!

January 16, 2014 at 8:18 pm
  13. Audrey Thompson, Administrative Intern

We are a group (just formed) at the Abingdon Senior Center located in histoical Abingdon, VA . Being a non-profit makes it difficult to have enough copies of books we are interested in reading. Our first book will be Life After Life by Jill McCorkle (which we start tomorrow!). We are looking forward to reading “Long Man” and of course other recommendations by Sip and Flip. We also look forward to receiving sikgned copies to place on our shelves for future use.

January 14, 2014 at 12:46 pm
  14. Carla

Awaiting Invention of Wings by Sue Monk Kidd….

January 14, 2014 at 11:02 am
  15. Cindy

Looking forward to Long Man, also!

January 13, 2014 at 1:16 pm
  16. Ruth

I loved Bloodroot and have been looking forward to Long Man. Also on my reading list is the Ice Cream Queen of Orchard Street as well as some classics.

January 12, 2014 at 6:28 pm
  17. Suzanne

I am looking forward to Under the Wide and Starry Night by Nancy Horan! I just loved her last book, Loving Frank and am looking forward to some more great writing from her!

January 12, 2014 at 11:04 am
  18. Angie M

I have just learned about this book club and am excited to read Long Man!

January 11, 2014 at 9:20 pm
  19. Jan Jessee

I was so impressed with “Bloodroot” and totally amazed at this book, particularly being a first novel. I am really looking forward to ‘Long Man’. I live in the general area of Appalachia in which Amy Greene sets her novels; perhaps this helps me relate and totally enjoy her interesting twists about her characters and their lives.

January 11, 2014 at 6:22 am
  20. Carrie

Looking forward to, Amy Green’s forthcoming novel as I loved Bloodroot. Psychological and physical landscape intertwined is a gift worthy of comparison to Eudora Welty.

January 11, 2014 at 4:08 am
  21. Sheila Houston

I am so proud of my cousin. Her first book was great and I cannot wait for Longman!!

January 10, 2014 at 11:26 pm
  22. Franell MCcOY

Proud of my niece and her talent. I’m waiting for the release and to hear about all the seminars and travel she does to promote her work. Everyone buy a copy and help her out, and we’ll be looking forward to the next novel.

January 10, 2014 at 9:39 pm
  23. Brenda

Can’t wait to read Amy’s new book Long Man ! Loved Bloodroot !

January 10, 2014 at 8:34 pm
  24. Nathan

I must say I’m looking forward to Long Man more than most books!

January 10, 2014 at 8:00 pm
  25. Stephen Doyal

I have been looking forward to Long Man pretty much since I put down Bloodroot. I really can’t wait.

January 10, 2014 at 7:28 pm
  26. KATHERINE LANDES

I am looking forward to reading The Invention of Wings, by Sue Monk Kidd, Dark Road to Mercy, by Wiley Cash and of course, Long Man.

January 10, 2014 at 4:19 pm
  27. Heather Adams

I absolutely loved her first novel, Bloodroot, and I’ve been so excited about her second ever since I heard about Long Man. It sounds fantastic, especially with what I understand is an ominous clock ticking in the background that really keeps the story moving! And knowing her style of writing, I imagine it’s very atmospheric and mesmerizing. My book club would be thrilled to read it.

January 10, 2014 at 8:31 am
  28. Ashley Couch

We have a book club at my work. We would love to have this book for our next selection!

January 10, 2014 at 8:08 am