The Royal Baby Proves All Southerners Are Basically Royalty

April 16, 2014 | By | Comments (81)

My mother’s home is littered with photos of my brother and me in smocked bubbles, blond bowls of hair distracting from the black-and-white saddle oxfords hugging my feet. It wasn’t until I traveled above the Mason-Dixon that I realized this style isn’t in vogue for all babies.

Well, joke’s on you, The North, because it turns out Prince George — Prince William and Duchess of Cambridge Kate’s bundle of joy — shares his fashion sense with Southern babies. We’ve got proof below.

The Gown

Photo: CAMERA PRESS/Jason Bell/CAMERA PRESS

Photo: CAMERA PRESS/Jason Bell/CAMERA PRESS

Southerners love an ornate baptism/dedication gown, so you can bet they’d love Prince George’s first experience with high fashion.

The White On White On White

Photo: WireImage/Getty

Photo: WireImage/Getty

White on white on white on white. This little guy is reminiscent of every Easter lunch we Southerners have ever had the pleasure of attending. From rocking that little white shirt with Peter Pan collar to a white sweater right down to his white sock-and-shoe-clad feet, I’d say it’s definitely before Labor Day.

The John Johns

Photo: WireImage/Getty

Photo: WireImage/Getty

White Peter Pan collared shirt? Check. John Johns? Oh yeah. (I wonder if Prince William knows these were supposedly named after American president John F. Kennedy’s son.) Smocked blue sailboat on his chest? Without a doubt. And check out those shoes: same English sandals my blond mop distracted from. He might be chilling in Birmingham, England, or Birmingham, Alabama.

The Monogram

Photo: CAMERA PRESS/Jason Bell/Redux

Photo: CAMERA PRESS/Jason Bell/Redux

Clothing bearing our own names is as much a Southern tradition as taking family photos. When he grows up, I’m sure Prince George will probably look at this photo and say, “Oh, that one’s me!”

I think it’s been well proved by now: Prince George is one of us. He might be from the United Kingdom, but he was born in the South of the U.K.

Sounds like a Southerner to me.

COMMENTS

1. Elizabeth

An observation I have made in the past few months is that no matter what the subject matter is someone is ALWAYS going to have something negative to say. This was a fun article meant to entertain and not be taken seriously. I agree with Thomasyne if you can’t say something nice don’t say nothing at all.

July 23, 2014 at 12:16 pm
  2. King Cutie’s 1st Birthday | countrybellechic
    July 22, 2014 at 11:10 am
  3. Lura

I thought “John-Johns” were the one piece suits with buttons on the shoulder – my son was wearing them before John-John was born!

April 28, 2014 at 7:26 pm
  4. I’m Adding “Duchess” To My Business Cards | My Heart's in Dixie

[…] when I read “The Royal Baby Proves All Southerners Are Basically Royalty” on the Southern Living website, I had the all the confirmation I needed. I just thought everyone […]

April 23, 2014 at 12:57 am
  5. Today’s Hot Topic | The Best Websites

[…] The Royal Baby Proves All Southerners Are Basically Royalty http://thedailysouth.southernliving.com/My mother's home is littered with photos of my brother and me in smocked bubbles, blond bowls of hair distracting from the black and white saddle oxfords hugging my feet. It wasn't until I traveled above the Mason-Dixon that I … […]

April 23, 2014 at 12:48 am
  6. Judy

Love the article. After all, old deep South is English, Irish, Scotch, and French decent. We have always appreciated the finer look. I feel that the West and the North have dummed down the quality of dress for children–trying to make them look like adults.

April 22, 2014 at 7:16 pm
  7. Janet

The author was a bit sloppy with the facts. I’m with lmyers113. And the sailboat isn’t knitted. It looks to me like embroidery.

April 22, 2014 at 2:32 pm
  8. Theresa

I always like to see articles about these young royals. They are a lovely family.

I will comment about little George’s outfits also. Even though I spent the majority of my life in the New York area, I too dressed my 4 boys in sailor suits , white ankle sox and RED-T strap sandles. No, they didn’t look like sissies! everyone of my 5 babies had a Baptismal dress that I made and hand embroidered. I also made my grandson Miles’s and his sister Mary Claire’s Baptismal gowns, embroidered also. I hope this lovely fashion never goes out of style!

April 22, 2014 at 2:23 pm
  9. Claire

Love this article!!!! I just want to share my own Southern experience…..I am a native New Englander. I was born in Maine and grew up in Connecticut, after I got married my first husband and I moved to Maine where we had settled and had two children. About three years ago we had decided to move to South Carolina. We had gone through some tough times and needed a change. So we bought a little bungalow, in a town called Abbeville. Two weeks later after the big move in the middle of July(it was hot!!!) my husband of 16 years took off on my two kids and I. Up and left. We had no family, no friends, just the three of us. Soon my kids started school while I struggled to get up in the morning. Once I did, amazing things happened! The southern people are amazing…..very sweet. I soon met a man who would become my second husband, and we now have a beautiful baby girl. I still keep in touch with the people who were merely strangers to me at one time but who welcomed me and supported me through all the junk I had been dealt. This past fall, my new husband and I and my kids moved back to Maine, Yes! I took my southern husband to Maine! We have a great life, lots of love and support and many things to be very thankful for. But once in a while I think back to Abbeville South Carolina and forget the things that I didnt like very much and I remember the good things….The food, the people, the flea markets, the mild winters, my job, in which I loved, etc…..and I actually wonder why I would have left! You southerners got it right dont let any Yankee tell you different! As for me I have the worlds best souveneirs, a darling husband and a beautiful baby girl much much better than a sweatshirt or shot glass! And by the way,….the southern style you are talking about is a southern “thing”. Be proud of it!

April 21, 2014 at 9:50 pm
  10. goldspinner

Christie:

“First of all, Americans copied hand smocking from England, that’s why it’s called English Smocking. Also very popular in Australia. Maybe the British copied it from them. Second, his shirt isn’t a smock and the sailboats aren’t knitted.”

1. Not all hand-smocking is English smocking. Various styles exist which include the American, Canadian, Counterchange, and Italian styles. Some entities even categorize pictorial smocking, e.g. the sailboats, as a separate style.

2. No offense to my distant kin in Oz, but I’m fairly certain that smocking existed in England long before Australia was settled as an English penal colony in 1788.

Fellow Southern Living readers:

The Smocking Arts Guild of America (www.smocking.org) has excellent resources available for individuals interested in learning the art of smocking. SAGA has chapters located throughout the United States, Australia, and Mexico and offers distance learning through correspondence courses.

Even though I have my own pleater, it isn’t necessary to own one to enjoy smocking as a hobby. Guilds and shops that sell heirloom sewing supplies often rent and lend pleaters or will pleat your project fabric for a small fee. Various retailers also offer traditional children’s clothing with monogrammed and/or smocked details. One favorite website is Orient Expressed (www.orientexpressed.com) which also has a retail store in New Orleans. Their selections are similar to what my family and I wore as children and are just gorgeous!

April 20, 2014 at 11:37 pm
  11. Saturday Site Love | Supper Club of the South

[…] article just confirms what we’re all thinking anyway…southerners are basically […]

April 19, 2014 at 8:00 am
  12. J

This story made me smile. That is why I read Southern Living, it gives you some thing nice to think about. I am glad some people still try to dress properly in this day and time. Smocked bubbles create smart, well mannered gentlemen.

April 18, 2014 at 11:21 pm
  13. Becky Smith

If you would like to purchase a john john or a classic bishop dress or other adorable clothes, go to http://www.kellyskids.com/beckysmith and check out this fabulous line of children’s clothes!

April 18, 2014 at 10:43 pm
  14. WSS (@WendySueCupcake)

Southerners don’t have the market cornered on monogramming or saddle shoes. As a native New Englander, I and the majority of my friends grew up wearing monogrammed items and saddle shoes.

April 18, 2014 at 9:14 pm
  15. Evelyn Palmer

I believe the outfit is called a John-John after John Kennedy’s son John. He was often seen wearing these cute outfits. I love seeing babies who look like babies. I am afraid the tradition is dying in the south. Daddy is afraid his baby boy will look sissy. Really he just looks like a baby

April 18, 2014 at 4:27 pm
  16. lmyers113

“John Johns” are the short pants John JUNIOR wore to salute his father as the casket passed by- the iconic photo. Please check your facts before puffing up in print.

April 18, 2014 at 4:18 pm
  17. Good Friday News. | 700 Zelda

[…] This article from The Daily South proves that all southerners are basically royalty. We’ll take that. […]

April 18, 2014 at 1:56 pm
  18. All Southerners Are Royals | countrybellechic
    April 18, 2014 at 10:23 am
  19. Friday Five | Elizabeth Hyndman

[…] The Royal Baby is actually Southern. Or Southerners are actually royal. Either way, Prince George is one of us, […]

April 18, 2014 at 7:49 am
  20. miranda

Well here it is. I have been living in the south for 16 years now. I love it and respect the native southerners. Southerners have very good stories to tell about history, etc.. I love to listen to the old history stories. I also love the small town coming together as a community and helping each other. I am a converted Yankee. My family in New Jersey tells me all the time that I have a heavy Southern accent. And when I do visit my family up north I am very happy to see the welcome to North Carolina sign. This is my home. I used to tell the ignorant Southerners, “Just remember who won the Civil War”, but now I tell the Northerners to keep your drama over the Mason Dixon line and go find someone to take a lawsuit out against. Or, go fight with you neighbor about property lines or how their dog barks.

April 17, 2014 at 10:32 pm
  21. Norma

My sister in Alabama is way traditional; sewed her first grandchild’s baptism gown out of her first wedding dress.

April 17, 2014 at 9:12 pm
  22. Lb

I’m Episcopalian and we baptize not christen

April 17, 2014 at 8:56 pm
  23. Donna Hudson

George is adorable!!! Yes he fits right in with the southern infant/toddler attire! I buy all these styles for our grandson, Marshall who lives in South Carolina! They both are high stylin’

April 17, 2014 at 7:13 pm
  24. Ellen

Ha, ha. That photo is not of John-John shortalls. These are John-Johns.

April 17, 2014 at 2:22 pm
  25. Owen Whitlock

In the South, it’s ok. to say anything as long as it is accompanied by “Bless your/thier/his/her heart.”

April 17, 2014 at 11:21 am
  26. Sandy

May I just say, SHUT UP already!

April 17, 2014 at 11:13 am
  27. April

The use of I instead of me as the object of a preposition is my biggest grammar peeve. I’m glad Mr. Andrews used it correctly even though some would say otherwise, bless their hearts.

April 17, 2014 at 11:10 am
  28. Mrs. Piersley Poole- Craven

I would just like to remind everyone of the above comment which is “If you don’t have any thing nice to say -shut your mouth!” Just kidding but seriously it is okay to have regional differences. Why do Yanks want everyone in the whole country to be the same and if you really hate the South so much why are y’all moving down here in droves!!!!( Yes I did dare to write the word Y’all). Keep your comments about grammar to yourselves!

April 17, 2014 at 10:42 am
  29. SouthernGal

These comments have me cracking up more than the article. Really? Who has that kind of time?

April 17, 2014 at 9:48 am
  30. Cindy

Well I’m glad the grammar was corrected…but what the heck are ‘john-johns’? Is it the short pants George is wearing? I’ve never heard of them referred to as that, and those style of pants existed long before JFK or his offspring.

April 17, 2014 at 7:45 am
  31. Thomasyne

This was a cute article, shame on me for reading the comments. Some of you are just plain rude. A southerner knows that if you can’t say anything nice, don’t say anything at all.

April 17, 2014 at 7:40 am